Cost of a holiday

Guest51810

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's alot to be said for bar jobs hun.

If I'd have stayed the full 3 months I'd have earned a fortune at around $950 a week. Meanwhile meals and accommodation were paid for by the bar. That would have financed some serious tourist activity and a great way to make friends xx

Was exhausting at well over 50hrs but fun too!

Edited by GiveAGirlShoes

There's alot to be said for bar jobs hun.

If I'd have stayed the full 3 months I'd have earned a fortune at around $950 a week. Meanwhile meals and accommodation were paid for by the bar. That would have financed some serious tourist activity and a great way to make friends xx

Was exhausting at well over 50hrs but fun too!

No I meant even the bar jobs where saying no whv lol I did look at websites like Travellers at work and there were some vacancies on that.

That def sounds a good way to save some money and meet people :)

I thought I'd have a look on gumtree just to have a nosey at jobs over there.. Its not giving me confidence. Loads are saying no whv, some are just bar jobs etc

Can you do general office work? That's what I did when there as I wasn't confident enough for bar work or waitressing. I did Data Entry and Call Centre work (boring but money's money, and met some nice people from all over through it). I went through an agency in Sydney who sorted my CV. I did have to travel a bit in Sydney, train to Parramatta then a bus to somewhere else but it was okay. But in Brisbane I was able to walk to work.

Can you do general office work? That's what I did when there as I wasn't confident enough for bar work or waitressing. I did Data Entry and Call Centre work (boring but money's money, and met some nice people from all over through it). I went through an agency in Sydney who sorted my CV. I did have to travel a bit in Sydney, train to Parramatta then a bus to somewhere else but it was okay. But in Brisbane I was able to walk to work.

I used to do general office work but then a agency lied to me and sent me to a job I wasn't qualified for so I lost my confidence. Stayed away from admin since then. If I go I would prefer something in hospitality or retail etc but wouldn't rule out going back into it.

I'm going to wait and see what happens with college but I'm definitely planning a holiday there

• 5 months later...

Just came across this thread again, wow it feels absolutely ages ago! Can't believe at the start of it I hasn't been away alone yet and then I ended up booking London and then living in the Channel Islands lol :laugh:

Still saving for Australia and then deciding how long I'll be staying once I've got a decent amount!

Just came across this thread again, wow it feels absolutely ages ago! Can't believe at the start of it I hasn't been away alone yet and then I ended up booking London and then living in the Channel Islands lol :laugh:

Still saving for Australia and then deciding how long I'll be staying once I've got a decent amount!

Now you've done the channel Islands job coming to Aus on a WHV would be a doddle Stacey. You will have the travel bug after your summer.:cool:

Now you've done the channel Islands job coming to Aus on a WHV would be a doddle Stacey. You will have the travel bug after your summer.:cool:

I've had travel bug for years but just never made the move or had enough money. I'm hoping this job will give me at least half Of what I need and then I'll need to find another one afterwards. It's so expensive :cry:

Two months will go like a flash Stacey. Come for a year.

Well that's what I thought, my original plan was to come over on one of those 3 month visas if I applied for uni but I don't think my money would last that long and I maybe wouldn't get to see the majority of what I want. Plus with the costs it probably makes more sense to stay longer. I'm going to be much more brutal with my saving, stick to same amount each week unless I need to absolutely buy something

If you got an au pair role you could live rent free get some pocket money, if a decent family be looked after well and get to see a bit of Perth or any other state on your days off...if I were you and young free and single it'd be an absolute no brainer...just sayin;)

If only we were still there we'd have had you au pair for us in an instance, can you just imagine how my Scotland obsessed wee man would have loved that!

Mind you you'd have had to sign a confidentiality clause so that none of my secrets ended up on PIO :)

If only we were still there we'd have had you au pair for us in an instance, can you just imagine how my Scotland obsessed wee man would have loved that!

Mind you you'd have had to sign a confidentiality clause so that none of my secrets ended up on PIO :)

I would of kept your secrets :wink: That would of been good! Someone gave me a website to try for au pair job, you can use it for loads of countries. We can do babysitting shifts over here but we don't get a choice on who we end up with and I'm scared I end up with an actual baby so I haven't put my name down for it, not sure if I will

I would of kept your secrets :wink: That would of been good! Someone gave me a website to try for au pair job, you can use it for loads of countries. We can do babysitting shifts over here but we don't get a choice on who we end up with and I'm scared I end up with an actual baby so I haven't put my name down for it, not sure if I will

Babies are easier IMO unless my memory is playing tricks on me.

Babies are easier IMO unless my memory is playing tricks on me.

Someone said that to me today, apparently the ones here would already be asleep. The parents don't go out for long. I prefer toddlers although I know they can be a bit more work lol. The children here in the Channel Islands here mostly very nice, extremely polite!

So... As I mentioned flights to aus for around 600 next year. I know its a very general question but for a holiday what's the minimum backpackers go with for a few weeks? I'm just trying to work out if I can afford the cheap dates or wether I should just wait till a later date.

I'm happy to do things like go to the beach etc but I'd obviously like to do some touristy things that costs money

Some advice please!

come and stay with me in cronulla... I be working but I'm near the beach and a train into city..

come and stay with me in cronulla... I be working but I'm near the beach and a train into city..

I can't believe how kind the people are on here :hug: you'll all get a fright when I turn up on everybody's doorstep with my list of people who said I could stay lol :laugh: