Cost of a holiday

Guest51810

You are more than welcome to stay with us (when we actually get there) :cute:

Your going on my list too then lol I could just pitch up a tent in everyone's garden :laugh: it's funny that everyone on pio has offered but my own cousin in Melbourne hasn't! He just winds me up and says that I'll never come. Last time he was trying to put me off by saying how expensive it was and about the creepy crawlies etc. You would think I was annoying or something.. :eek: :biggrin:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your going on my list too then lol I could just pitch up a tent in everyone's garden :laugh: it's funny that everyone on pio has offered but my own cousin in Melbourne hasn't! He just winds me up and says that I'll never come. Last time he was trying to put me off by saying how expensive it was and about the creepy crawlies etc. You would think I was annoying or something.. :eek: :biggrin:

Its always the way. My family in Perth have not even acknowledged we are going, I would never ask them for anything, but there has not even been a "drop in for a coffee when you get here". Oh well, we have a lovely PIO family, what more could you need :cute:

Ps, you can have the spare room, I am not that mean :laugh:

Its always the way. My family in Perth have not even acknowledged we are going, I would never ask them for anything, but there has not even been a "drop in for a coffee when you get here". Oh well, we have a lovely PIO family, what more could you need :cute:

That's a shame! Maybe they will invite you once your there. I think mines would probably offer once I'm there but I think so far they think I'll never come.. Don't blame them though, I've been going on about it for years lol. Just find it so hard to save enough, it's so expensive. Aww thanks lol i wouldn't of minded camping out with the snakes and possums :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
its depend on your location where you want to go..

When I started it the idea was to backpack to a few different places depending on the amount of time I had. Apparently you can stay up to 3 months on a tourist visa? Melbourne, Sydney and some of Queensland are def on my list

They might turn out just fine when you get here M1cha3la. They probably think you won't come.:wink:

That's a shame! Maybe they will invite you once your there. I think mines would probably offer once I'm there but I think so far they think I'll never come.. Don't blame them though, I've been going on about it for years lol. Just find it so hard to save enough, it's so expensive. Aww thanks lol i wouldn't of minded camping out with the snakes and possums :laugh:

Didn't realise you had family here Stacey. Whereabouts are they?

When I started it the idea was to backpack to a few different places depending on the amount of time I had. Apparently you can stay up to 3 months on a tourist visa? Melbourne, Sydney and some of Queensland are def on my list

You can actually get a tourist visa for 6 months - the application process is slightly different but I don't think they are hard to get.

You'd be better off with a WHV though and then you'd have the option to work (you don't have to!)

I would seriously think about the au-pairing, do it for 3 months - that's what a number of the girls that stayed with us did. It gave them time to find their feet, they met other au-pairs (the agency we used were very good like that) and then move on. One did stay 6 months (the maximum allowed) and the last one stayed a year (but he was actually on a student visa so it was a slightly different arrangement & he could)

If you don't want to work so hard be a demi-pair - just 15 hours a week in exchange for board and lodge, that's what we actually had. All they did was take my son to school on the bus and then pick him up and 'babysit' until we got home from work. 9-3pm and after 6/7pm they were free and they could get a job or just have fun :)

Didn't realise you had family here Stacey. Whereabouts are they?

Melbourne. my dad's cousin, his wife and children. I'd like to go visit them, we talk a lot on Facebook - usually he's winding me up saying "are you coming over yet" or winding me up about spiders/snakes

You can actually get a tourist visa for 6 months - the application process is slightly different but I don't think they are hard to get.

You'd be better off with a WHV though and then you'd have the option to work (you don't have to!)

I would seriously think about the au-pairing, do it for 3 months - that's what a number of the girls that stayed with us did. It gave them time to find their feet, they met other au-pairs (the agency we used were very good like that) and then move on. One did stay 6 months (the maximum allowed) and the last one stayed a year (but he was actually on a student visa so it was a slightly different arrangement & he could)

If you don't want to work so hard be a demi-pair - just 15 hours a week in exchange for board and lodge, that's what we actually had. All they did was take my son to school on the bus and then pick him up and 'babysit' until we got home from work. 9-3pm and after 6/7pm they were free and they could get a job or just have fun :)

That sounds like a good gig LR. Did I read that right and you had a male au-pair? Never would have thought of doing that as a male.

I think that's what I would do if I went on a WHV. I signed up to au pair world and I've got a Australian au pair page on my Facebook, quite a lot of jobs get added to that. Some want driving licences though.

My other idea was to just go on a tourist visa for 2 or 3 months but I really doubt I'll be able to afford it, the people who have done something similar have spent between 5 and 8k. I just wouldn't have that in time. I even phoned up my top uni choices and two of them said they would most likely allow me to defer till 2016. Then the same day I found out my best friend is engaged and wants to get married next year. So it hasn't exactly worked out well

I know this is old but looks like you're still undecided so for what it's worth, I'd say absolute minimum of £1000-£1300 a month to not feel like you're missing out entirely but compromising a few things. Ie, go to to sydney zoo but give Melbourne's a miss, go to GBR for a day trip rather then an overnighter etc. Pick your 'must dos' and take into account distance/cost will prevent you from doing everything so knock it down to the top ten. Think about things like special events in cities, while it'd be nice to be there for them, it will cost you much more.

You can get it all worked out if you have a route planned and get say a greyhound flexi ticket or can check flights for your specific dates, check prices online, which actually will be quite a task, but you'll want to be doing it if you're only there for a short time anyway get the best out of it! The key to staying on budget is planning and while on a WHV you have the time to wait for a cheaper option to come up (cheaper flight, lift share) for a shorter time you need to plan ahead.

I don't think It'd be a bad thing to go for a holiday, but just bear in mind that it'd put you back to square one for the WHV saving. There are plenty of backpackers on tourist visas. The down side is that if you get somewhere, meet a great bunch and love it you have to leave and get on with the trip, the plus side is that you see it all in one go, just as much if not more than someone on a WHV (because they often end up staying put for money or they love where they are) they've just stopped to work. You don't get to experience living there day to day obviously but in terms of seeing the country it's no different. And, if you do go back for WHV you'll be better prepared and know where you want to head etc.

Edited by Britpop

I know this is old but looks like you're still undecided so for what it's worth, I'd say absolute minimum of £1000-£1300 a month to not feel like you're missing out entirely but compromising a few things. Ie, go to to sydney zoo but give Melbourne's a miss, go to GBR for a day trip rather then an overnighter etc. Pick your 'must dos' and take into account distance/cost will prevent you from doing everything so knock it down to the top ten. Think about things like special events in cities, while it'd be nice to be there for them, it will cost you much more.

You can get it all worked out if you have a route planned and get say a greyhound flexi ticket or can check flights for your specific dates, check prices online, which actually will be quite a task, but you'll want to be doing it if you're only there for a short time anyway get the best out of it! The key to staying on budget is planning and while on a WHV you have the time to wait for a cheaper option to come up (cheaper flight, lift share) for a shorter time you need to plan ahead.

I don't think It'd be a bad thing to go for a holiday, but just bear in mind that it'd put you back to square one for the WHV saving. There are plenty of backpackers on tourist visas. The down side is that if you get somewhere, meet a great bunch and love it you have to leave and get on with the trip, the plus side is that you see it all in one go, just as much if not more than someone on a WHV (because they often end up staying put for money or they love where they are) they've just stopped to work. You don't get to experience living there day to day obviously but in terms of seeing the country it's no different. And, if you do go back for WHV you'll be better prepared and know where you want to head etc.

So pretty much a similar amount per month for holiday as WHV? Yeah a holiday would be very crammed, I'd need to make a lot of compromises. I wouldn't be back to square 1 because if I went on holiday instead I wouldn't go on a WHV till I was 28 or 29. I had a look at the greyhound pass. I think a WHV would be a better experience/more adventurous but just feel like some things are going against it like my friends wedding :eek: I'll find out in a week or two when her actual wedding is

That sounds like a good gig LR. Did I read that right and you had a male au-pair? Never would have thought of doing that as a male.

Yes, he was from Chile, studying engineering at a Tafe not too far from us. We're still very much in touch, worked well for all of us.

'Mannies' (Male nannies) are very much in demand - a lot of single mums with boys like them because it provides male role modelling, my OH had his doubts but actually he enjoyed having another 'man about the house' - he even helped out with the house painting etc., laying flooring etc. Not that we asked but he enjoyed doing it.

You can come to Falkirk :) LOL

Lol errr I'll get back to you on that one :laugh: I'm thinking of putting my name down for babysitting here to get more experience but I don't like the fact that you don't know who your getting right till the last minute, I don't really have experience with babies.

Lol errr I'll get back to you on that one :laugh: I'm thinking of putting my name down for babysitting here to get more experience but I don't like the fact that you don't know who your getting right till the last minute, I don't really have experience with babies.

Shame you don't drive or you seriously could have babysat for us when you're back.

Don't worry if you register with an agency they would not place you with a baby without experience, or just put an advert on Gumtree and specify the age group, that's how we found ours.

I would recommend getting your PVG http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/disclosureinformation/basicdisclosure.htm and a first aid certificate to be more attractive to parents.

Edited by Lady Rainicorn

Shame you don't drive or you seriously could have babysat for us when you're back.

Don't worry if you register with an agency they would not place you with a baby without experience, or just put an advert on Gumtree and specify the age group, that's how we found ours.

I would recommend getting your PVG http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/disclosureinformation/basicdisclosure.htm and a first aid certificate to be more attractive to parents.

I know, it's another thing on my to do list.. :eek: before I came here I couldn't afford the lessons and now I'm here there's only one day I could do them and I don't want to go to Guernsey every single week anyway plus I'm not making enough to do that plus save up much

We had a lovely Australian couple at work today from Brisbane. Was telling them my plans and they were giving me advice. ended up talking about floods, drought, bush fires etc.. You know..the cheery stuff :laugh:

We were talking about the fruit picking and hospitality jobs, they said I probably wouldn't find it too difficult to get one. Then when they were leaving the man called me jock, reminded me of @Bobj lol

We had a lovely Australian couple at work today from Brisbane. Was telling them my plans and they were giving me advice. ended up talking about floods, drought, bush fires etc.. You know..the cheery stuff :laugh:

We were talking about the fruit picking and hospitality jobs, they said I probably wouldn't find it too difficult to get one. Then when they were leaving the man called me jock, reminded me of @Bobj lol

Got some big kippers for you, Jock...

Cheers, Bobj.