Ozzie Slang

tingtongman

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that people think we do not use slang anymore but seriously we use it every day. Aussie slang is alive and well, just have to mix with the Aussies. I know that I say "Good Day"a lot, How you going, etc etc. Many many other things get said as well and even if we do not use them ourselves we know what they mean.

So its confusing when people first come to Aus, especially as we call things by different names here as well. We tend to use the slang if others are using it and its not being smart of anything its just what people do.

Guest Guest26012
Yeah i noticed the jeans hanging off the back of arses here, just like a scene out of the hood Dave :laugh:

Just how do they stay up though?

They look bloody awful lol!

I think that people think we do not use slang anymore but seriously we use it every day. Aussie slang is alive and well, just have to mix with the Aussies. I know that I say "Good Day"a lot, How you going, etc etc. Many many other things get said as well and even if we do not use them ourselves we know what they mean.

So its confusing when people first come to Aus, especially as we call things by different names here as well. We tend to use the slang if others are using it and its not being smart of anything its just what people do.

But is it dying out? Is the old school Aussie slang going to be filtered out by the new generation that are opting to speak like Americans??

Or will it be intermixed?....Aussie Aussie Aussie...Yo Yo Yo?? :unsure:

We thought we'd done a good job of teaching our kids a bit of good old cockney rhyming slang from the auld country..... until my daughter came out of the loo and shouted at her brother for leaving a "Henry the Second" in the toilet bowl! She remembered it was a king, but forgot it was supposed to be Richard the Third! She's 19 by the way, so it's been a while since she came out with one of those "things kids say"!

There are two types of people in Australia today who use the old fashioned slang terms;

-Working class people, especially from remote rural areas

-Tossers attempting to dumb themselves down (a common trait in an anti-intellectual country which sadly Australia falls into the category of.)

I have barely used an Australian slang term in my life (born and bred Australian). I don't even say G'day or mate, in fact it makes me cringe to hear people say it. Intelligent and educated people very rarely use Australian slang.

As for the 'Americanisms' these are becoming disturbingly common. I have even heard people on the news, including politicians and professors using terms such as 'good to go' and 'from the get go'. :embarrassed:

There are two types of people in Australia today who use the old fashioned slang terms;

-Working class people, especially from remote rural areas

-Tossers attempting to dumb themselves down (a common trait in an anti-intellectual country which sadly Australia falls into the category of.)

wrong and wrong IMO.

I live on the edge of melly and its alive and kicking. Not rural and remote.

The Cities are where its being killed off, but get outside the sprawl and hit the normal country towns and its normal.

Sorry are you suggesting that I should move to remote Australia just to hear some particular words? Why would I want to do that exactly, I didn't express any particular interest in hearing Australian slang did I? .... :confused:

Wow I think you took that completely the wrong way!

Yeah i noticed the jeans hanging off the back of arses here, just like a scene out of the hood Dave :laugh:

Just how do they stay up though?

A young newly qualified male nurse started where I worked and he wore his blues down his arse. Not for long though 'cos he got the p*ss ripped out of him and it was pointed out that if they dropped and he fell over while hurrying to an arrest on the unit, he'd be trampled!

I think the 'how ya going?' stopped approx 10 years ago together with 'beaut,' 'fair dinkum' and 'if he had another brain it'd be lonely'

No way! Everyone says that. There is not a day the I don't hear it.

Me too, and I work in the CBD. Although the person I most hear it from grew up in the country plenty of others say it as well.

Sorry are you suggesting that I should move to remote Australia just to hear some particular words? Why would I want to do that exactly, I didn't express any particular interest in hearing Australian slang did I? .... :confused:

Chill, that was not suggested at all.

I merely challenged your view that they did not exist anymore, whereas in actual fact those slang words are alive and well in many remote and regional places.

Gosh, you do sometimes put some sharp replies on these threads :eek:

Chill, that was not suggested at all.

I merely challenged your view that they did not exist anymore, whereas in actual fact those slang words are alive and well in many remote and regional places.

Gosh, you do sometimes put some sharp replies on these threads :eek:

If you don't like my replies then you could put me on ignore, not make personal comments about my posting habits on a thread. It is rather ironic that you are the one making insulting comments about my posts, being snotty and personal whereas I have not made any personal or rude posts about you at all.

You said I should try living in regional Australia but I don't want to as my job is in sydney CBD, so I politely questioned your reply. You could have easily said "slang is common in regional Australia" then OP would also know he doesn't need to worry about slang unless he is in the minority planning to move to regional Australia.

You said I should try living in regional Australia but I don't want to as my job is in sydney CBD,

Maybe "you should try" is also Australian slang. It means "if you were"...it doesn't literally mean "go do it".

OP would also know he doesn't need to worry about slang unless he is in the minority planning to move to regional Australia

Wherever the OP lives, he has obviously encountered slang which confused him. Depending on the industry he's working in, that could be anywhere - including deepest, darkest Sydney or Melbourne.

Maybe "you should try" is also Australian slang. It means "if you were"...it doesn't literally mean "go do it".

Wherever the OP lives, he has obviously encountered slang which confused him. Depending on the industry he's working in, that could be anywhere - including deepest, darkest Sydney or Melbourne.

Whatever. I still do not think that personal comments are called for, do you?

And there was nothing in the first post that suggested to me OP had encountered slang, I read it that he was shortly to make a move and was preparing. So my reply was in good faith and I am not sure why I am being subjected to this hostility for making a genuine reply to somebody's question.

Some of you really need to find something else to do rather than pick holes and make uncaled for comments regarding other people's replies to threads.

Whatever. I still do not think that personal comments are called for, do you?

And there was nothing in the first post that suggested to me OP had encountered slang, I read it that he was shortly to make a move and was preparing.

Well, it's a conversation...we all make personal comments, either directly or in tone.

The OP has a link to his travel blog in Australia.

If you don't like my replies then you could put me on ignore, not make personal comments about my posting habits on a thread. It is rather ironic that you are the one making insulting comments about my posts, being snotty and personal whereas I have not made any personal or rude posts about you at all.

You said I should try living in regional Australia but I don't want to as my job is in sydney CBD, so I politely questioned your reply. You could have easily said "slang is common in regional Australia" then OP would also know he doesn't need to worry about slang unless he is in the minority planning to move to regional Australia.

You have never heard slang used in the Sydney CBD? I find that hard to believe.

Well, it's a conversation...we all make personal comments, either directly or in tone.

The OP has a link to his travel blog in Australia.

So do you agree it is ok to make rude personal comments? That was what I meant, but perhaps I was not clear enough.

Oh and as a rule, I do not do background research on posters before replying. Re the blog, well maybe the link wasn't there when OP first posted and many people start their blog before their travels and in any case I rarely pay attention to signatures anyway. I read the post. Hope that is ok with you, or is that something else you want to pick holes in.

Archived