How many of you.....

Banksy

....emigrated without having previously visited Australia?

We fly out to Melbourne on New Years Eve, I will be on a 457 and if all goes well, will hopefully one day get PR.

Exchanged on our house yesterday, starting to feel real now and getting a few butterflies!

Any advice gratefully received.

Oh you asked how many. :biggrin:

I don't think there is any particular advice from people that have not been before versus those that have. It is also really broad question, advice on emigrating, where to start.... is there anything in particular you would like to know more about, like work, school, houses, banks, doctors, making friends etc etc.?

Oh you asked how many. :biggrin:

I don't think there is any particular advice from people that have not been before versus those that have. It is also really broad question, advice on emigrating, where to start.... is there anything in particular you would like to know more about, like work, school, houses, banks, doctors, making friends etc etc.?

I don't know really, I think I just want someone to tell me its going to be fine! ;) I'm sure we'll be ok, just nerves kicking in!

I brought my family and I'd never even been long haul let alone oz! So far so good!

Same here, we've never flown long haul.

I don't know really, I think I just want someone to tell me its going to be fine! ;) I'm sure we'll be ok, just nerves kicking in!

Well to be honest, it is fine for some an not for others, it's a lottery. But you are at no disadvantage for never having been before because loads do it this way and a holiday first will not prove any idea of what it is like anyway.

FWIW we had never been here, and knew no one here. We had not harboured a long term ambition to come to Australia, and the lifestyle factors (surfing, beaches, barbies, sunshine) that attract so many were not big factors for us (though it is nice to have a summer pretty much guaranteed, and not to have to endure the short winter days of the northern hemisphere). It was a rational decision, albeit a risk. And it has worked for us (in Melbourne). So to the OP, there is every chance it will work out for you - be positive, put yourselves out there, take a few risks, kiss a few frogs, don't dwell on what you've lost, but celebrate what you've gained. And accept that one of the things that makes it worth doing is that everything is a challenge.

My husband and i have just received 457 visa grant 4am on wednesday by 5.20am our flights were booked! 10am my resignation was handed in at work! Already had 2 leaving parties! WE HAVE NEVER BEEN TO AUSTRALIA! For us its an adventure and are there for 4 years (hopefully) the hardest thing for me is leaving my family and best friend not worrying about what will happen when we get there! However it is probably much easier if you know one of you has a job to go to as my husband has and i presume you have on a 457? Anyway if we LOVE it, we Stay...... If we HATE it, we come home!

I have moved to two countries without having visited either. You can find out lots of stuff on the internet now to give you an idea of what you are moving to. When I first moved to Oz I didn't have internet available for research. Second country I moved to I was able to do loads of research so had a good idea what I was moving to. While research can't tell you everything you do get a pretty good feel for somewhere. I must admit it never entered my head to visit first.

I didn't... but I remember we spent 3 weeks here for a holiday, did a little travelling... let me tell you what others have said is true: going on holiday is nothing like living here. So no matter what you do, regardless of if you just chuck all your stuff in a bag and move here on a whim or if you spend months trawling the country corner to corner, you've got absolutely no idea what a new life in a new country is like until you experience it. Life, full stop, is one big lottery really.

My OH's family were £10 poms. They thought they were going to Melb but found out they were actually in Sydney the day after they arrived :laugh: They just got on with making a life for themselves and never looked back. Over the years most of their extended family moved out as well sight unseen and now they are living from one end of the country to the other.One cousin moved back to the UK vowing never to return to Aust but they were only there for a couple of months before they came back. He had grown up in Aust and had some sort of romantic notions about 'going home' so I'm not surprised he didn't last.

On the other side of my family my brother married a pom and brought her here. It didn't go well at all. She was miserable and made everyone around her miserable as well. They moved back to the UK for a while but she realised almost straight away she had made a mistake and had never really given herself (or Aust) a chance. They are back now and this time around she is really settled and a much nicer person to be around. She has made friends this time which has made a big difference as well - but that's because you can have a conversation with her now that doesn't revolve around how miserable she is.

I came over 28 yrs ago and loved the place promising myself I would one day live here. took 5 yrs to persuade mrs tonyman (I had just about give up tbh) then came for a holiday / visa validation ,now we have been here over 6 yrs ..............just to add my Grandma and grandad were given 10 pound pom tickets many yrs ago ect and then last minute pulled out ....... and my Dad has always regrated not coming to live ...............

Hello Banksy.

That's a really good time to be moving to Melbourne. Victoria in January is - usually - fabulous weather wise.

Maybe try to get along to the Aus Open tennis, particularly in the first week? All you need is a ground pass - it's a great way to while away a day.

The bayside beaches are great too.

I'm looking forward to summer/January; we've been here for 12+ years. Migrated to Australia after one holiday. No regrets here.

Best regards.

Hello Banksy.

That's a really good time to be moving to Melbourne. Victoria in January is - usually - fabulous weather wise.

Maybe try to get along to the Aus Open tennis, particularly in the first week? All you need is a ground pass - it's a great way to while away a day.

The bayside beaches are great too.

I'm looking forward to summer/January; we've been here for 12+ years. Migrated to Australia after one holiday. No regrets here.

Best regards.

The tennis is a good idea actually, cheers. I don't start my new job until the 13th so will have 10 days to take in the surroundings before I get into the thick of it.

We are going to be based in Bentleigh East for the 1st month while we search for a property to rent long term.

My office is based near Dingley Village.

I came out in 1978 under the illusion that most Aussies needed the Royal Flying Doctor when they got sick, and did their education via 'The School of the Air' & fervently believing that the first Aussie who heard my accent in a pub woud hit me!

It's not a bad time to arrive (even in Melbourne!) just after the New Year, when it is cold and dank and dark and gloomy in England, and summer holidays are still half a year away.

Come with an open mind, and don't immediately seek out other Poms to alleviate your homesickness. There's nothing wrong with other Poms. I have plenty of Pommie friends, but if you are not careful, it can turn into a 'whinge-fest.' Get out and try to meet some Aussies!

My hubby arrived last year having never been here before, he had complete faith in me and I had only raised the idea after I came out here on my own for a 3 week holiday in 2011.

He has loved it and we continue to enjoy exploring the city and the country. It was a perfect time of our lives too so all is working out really well for us.

Archived