Spring in Australia

HappyHeart

I think Spring is possibly the best season in Australia...after the long 'hard' winter we are gagging for some proper heat and sun...looking forward to al fresco fun that lasts till after dark...the flowers are stunning...everything is still green and lovely AND its nearly Christmas!! Bring it on..I love the warmer months. Soooo looking forward to weekends at the beach or river..long hot summer days, that's what we love here..:rolleyes:Winter is my least favourite season here.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I think Spring is possibly the best season in Australia...after the long 'hard' winter we are gagging for some proper heat and sun...looking forward to al fresco fun that lasts till after dark...the flowers are stunning...everything is still green and lovely AND its nearly Christmas!! Bring it on..I love the warmer months. Soooo looking forward to weekends at the beach or river..long hot summer days, that's what we love here..:rolleyes:Winter is my least favourite season here.

It must be awful for you, your winter lasts 7 weeks ours lasts 7 months, enjoy your bloody hot sunny weekends down at the beach, lol

Don't tell anyone in Melbourne that winter only lasts 7 weeks.

Today at the golf we were all rugged up. I started with 4 layers, T shirt,polo, sweater and a lightweight windcheater and nearing the end of the round I had to put my waterproof jacket on just to feel comfortable for the last few holes.

Some people have a lot to learn about Australia.

Mike

Did we have a Winter? :biglaugh: Oh yeah... Maybe one or two days of 16 degrees I remember... Don't ya just love winters in the tropics :tongue: and OH had to wear jeans once :err: he was not at all impressed to break the year shorts only rule.

not looking forward to the blasted swoopers though, saw a young kid get attacked yesterday, will put my bike away now till there gone!

Spring starts officially 1 September. There's still a fair bit of inclement weather ahead. Still today is lovely in Perth. Yes Spring is a good time everywhere. It has greater meaning in Europe though. The wild flowers are a especially welcome attraction in WA this time of year. Well worth taking a trip to view.

Not a fan anymore of the long summer ahead though. Apart from some of the evenings. I guess after living a considerable time on the Continent where summer is really celebrated out in the streets, with festivals and energy it all appears a bit flat here.

Signs of spring are showing here in Sydney too. The nights are getting noticeably lighter. To be honest, this has (so far) been a very easy winter. Lots of warm sunshine, and although it is still cold at night, the daytime temperatures have been good enough not to let the house get so cold.

I noticed over the past few days that there are lots of magpies around in our street, so I am wondering if we might have trouble with them this year.

Ours are Miner birds, the cat managed to catch one from where they swoop and shout at him and left it there on the lawn to serve as a warning to them, I think! My dog was swooped whilst having a poo, she looked most livid! Bonnie, I won't be moving to Melb then, give me a QLD winter any day! 27 today, we're off fishing tomorrow, happy days.

It does last a good 3 months Hoff but the rain usually only comes for some of that time...June has been pretty good since we got here...September can be a bit chilly till the end..and wet..hoping we're all done with the rain now...yes I know we 'need' it!

Where in oz r u happy heart? Enjoy your spring.

Did we have a Winter? :biglaugh: Oh yeah... Maybe one or two days of 16 degrees I remember... Don't ya just love winters in the tropics :tongue: and OH had to wear jeans once :err: he was not at all impressed to break the year shorts only rule.

not looking forward to the blasted swoopers though, saw a young kid get attacked yesterday, will put my bike away now till there gone!

Just to clarify, you mean there are birds attacking the kids/pets??? I`ve never heard of it before :eek:. Is it just in one area or all over?

Golf is a bad one for swoopers. Got swooped by a magpie and a Plover on the same hole last year!

Cycled through my local park and came away unscathed last week so may give it another go!

Just to clarify, you mean there are birds attacking the kids/pets??? I`ve never heard of it before :eek:. Is it just in one area or all over?

Around spring time they can get a bit aggressive and swoop at you they seem to particularly hate cyclists!

This is all over, I've been swooped by a magpie and plover. The magpie stopped when I kept eye contact on it, the plover kept going regardless!

Protecting their nests, is what the magpies and plovers are doing and it's perfectly natural.

Mango trees in flower, some early varieties have thumbnail sized mangoes, bananas are ripening.

It's all happening.thumbs.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Around spring time they can get a bit aggressive and swoop at you they seem to particularly hate cyclists!

This is all over, I've been swooped by a magpie and plover. The magpie stopped when I kept eye contact on it, the plover kept going regardless!

The movie "Birds" comes to mind...:wideeyed:

The movie "Birds" comes to mind...:wideeyed:

Yeah it's quite scary when it happens. Absolutely hilarious when it happens to somebody else though.

Shouldn't be issues in City's as the particularly troublesome ones get moved on

Archived