Sign our petition to stop them bringing in a $4000 school fee for children on 457 visas!

chiara

So if a bloke is out of work for say 6 months, cannot afford to do bugger all, is offered the chance of a 457 visa, where the company will fly him and his family over, with the chance to start afresh, in your opinion, he should stay where he is. Complete nonsense

Not nonsense and we are all entitled to disagree. My point was and still is that its a very risky venture when it is an uncertain outcome. If you take the chance then you have accepted the gamble.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been HUGE cuts to education across WA.

I am in support of the $4000 fee. It is needed by the schools. I seriously doubt that there will be much support in the wider community (permanent residents and Australian citizens) to abolish the proposed fee, especially in the the current climate.

I completely agree that the 457 visa is temporary and not an ideal one for families and it is subject to change. However in the current global economic climate not everyone has the luxury of waiting for PR or perhaps have been unemployed for so long they don't qualify or simply couldn't afford the process etc. Many of the 457 visa holders earn a very modest income and simply cannot afford this fee. There must be very stressed parents in WA at the moment who simply don't know what to do, go home or stick it out. I think the state govt were very irresponsible to announce this fee in the Budget without having ironed out all the details. My head understands the logic behind it but my heart goes out to anyone who has to find this money and the stress this must be causing.

If in the situation you describe for example being unemployed, it may mean funds are already run down. To take a chance in bringing a family out with little back up , on a 457 would really need to be thought long and hard about. If it goes belly up what then? Perhaps the main bread winner could come out alone and see how things go.

As it goes though we cannot afford to pay for some 9,000 foreign kids attending schools who for all practical purposes may be gone in a couple of years.

Guest Guest26012
If in the situation you describe for example being unemployed, it may mean funds are already run down. To take a chance in bringing a family out with little back up , on a 457 would really need to be thought long and hard about. If it goes belly up what then? Perhaps the main bread winner could come out alone and see how things go.

As it goes though we cannot afford to pay for some 9,000 foreign kids attending schools who for all practical purposes may be gone in a couple of years.

Got to say I agree with this. I agree with it for 457 visas that are not here yet but for existing 457 visa holders that are already here it should not be so.

There have been HUGE cuts to education across WA.

I am in support of the $4000 fee. It is needed by the schools. I seriously doubt that there will be much support in the wider community (permanent residents and Australian citizens) to abolish the proposed fee, especially in the the current climate.

I don't agree with you Sammy, most people I know Aussies and PR, Citizenship don't agree for this fee more so for the people already here on their 457's, I think it is totally wrong in general, most schools don't get the voluntary fees from the majority of the parents as it is now and that is on average about $40 to $70 per year (WA), if there needs to be a fee it should be nothing like the proposed $4000 per child x

I don't agree with you Sammy, most people I know Aussies and PR, Citizenship don't agree for this fee more so for the people already here on their 457's, I think it is totally wrong in general, most schools don't get the voluntary fees from the majority of the parents as it is now and that is on average about $40 to $70 per year (WA), if there needs to be a fee it should be nothing like the proposed $4000 per child x

The reality is that education is expensive and WA schools will suffer with the huge cuts that have just been announced. Do you propose that they just subsidise everyone?

You will find that once the enormity of the cuts sinks in, people will be less inclined to oppose tuition fees for temporary workers. Various other states in Oz have been charging for quite some time now.

$4000 for somebody who is only here on a temporary four year visa is pretty cheap, especially for a full time education which costs far more than that.

Edited by Sammy1

The local schools are having their budgets cut be $400,000 to $700,000 each school! and EA's are being cut by 300 in WA! I think this alone is more important than 457's having to pay $4000 per year.

Well it means even less money to go around. I'm afraid that's just the start of things we'll see happening over the coming years. Wait till cuts come further down the road at a Federal level.

IMHO

Having gone to NSW on a 457 and paying $4500 per Child for PUBLIC School I think every potential 457 Visa Holder should factor this cost in as we did!

However.................I do think it should be waived for those that are already in situ in WA as it has been mentioned previously the majority earn a modest wage and it must be very worrying to try and find this money by next January

A few points:-

(1) Just becauase a 457 visa-holder is on what is deemed an excellent salary does not mean they necessarily have thousands of $s to spare on unanticipated schooling fees, as most people live to their means - be that affording themselves a house large enough to accommodate their family with one bedroom each, a nice car / 2 cars, pet(s), annual holiday(s) or whatever. Yes, they are lucky to be on such a wage but no, they probably don't have spare cash lying around waiting to be spent on education which should be free (just as education in the UK is free for Aussies, etc.).

(2) Not everyone on a 457 is following that particular route out of choice. Some people do not qualify for PR via the skilled migrant route, but still hold the necessary skills to attract sponsorship from an Australian business. I'm sure there are lots of 457 visa-holders who would love to move over to Oz with PR but are maybe too old to get enough points / didn't get a degree, or whatever, and so cannot get enough points to qualify. Should this mean they are relegated to staying in the UK forever? Or should they still get a chance at fulfilling their dream? If their skills are in demand then, in my opinion, they deserve as much of an opportunity as the next person.

(3) Why shouldn't 457s take their super home with them? It is not costing the government anything (i.e. not taking money out of the public coffers in order to do so) - it is the employee's money and therefore, if they choose to return to their home country, it is only fair that it is eventually returned to them.

(4) People on a 457 may not contribute in the long-term (unless they convert to PR) but they still pay tax and do not take anything from the state in terms of benefits, etc. (like PRs can / do).

(5) If people cannot afford the fees (and I'm sure the majority can't), would home-schooling perhaps be an option? I can't say this would be my ideal choice if I was in such a position, although my friend is continually extolling the virtues of home-education, but the benefits are obvious. Plus, you'd be able to go on holiday out-of-termtime without getting fined! Lol.

Just a few observations to ponder. Hope they don't offend too many people... ;-)

(3) Why shouldn't 457s take their super home with them? It is not costing the government anything (i.e. not taking money out of the public coffers in order to do so) - it is the employee's money and therefore, if they choose to return to their home country, it is only fair that it is eventually returned to them.

Just a few observations to ponder. Hope they don't offend too many people... ;-)

Agree with you mostly however Super isn't the employees money its an workplace/government entitlement which you don't get until you retire. I think in some circumstances you can get the money you will just pay a ridiculous amount of tax on it (35%) that it probably ends up being just as much as you have earned, stupid i know!

Agree with you mostly however Super isn't the employees money its an workplace/government entitlement which you don't get until you retire. I think in some circumstances you can get the money you will just pay a ridiculous amount of tax on it (35%) that it probably ends up being just as much as you have earned, stupid i know!

Not true. Super is the employee's money. It's held in the employee's name, in the place of the employee's choosing and invested where and how the employee wants it invested. It's an asset of the employee and taken into account in various financial situations. No-one else has any claim on it - certainly not the government.

457 holders can access their super when their visa is cancelled after they leave - but as they've never paid any tax on it, it's only correct that if they're receiving it as income, then income tax is paid on it.

(1) Just becauase a 457 visa-holder is on what is deemed an excellent salary does not mean they necessarily have thousands of $s to spare on unanticipated schooling fees, as most people live to their means - be that affording themselves a house large enough to accommodate their family with one bedroom each, a nice car / 2 cars, pet(s), annual holiday(s) or whatever. Yes, they are lucky to be on such a wage but no, they probably don't have spare cash lying around waiting to be spent on education which should be free (just as education in the UK is free for Aussies, etc.).

(2) Not everyone on a 457 is following that particular route out of choice. Some people do not qualify for PR via the skilled migrant route, but still hold the necessary skills to attract sponsorship from an Australian business. I'm sure there are lots of 457 visa-holders who would love to move over to Oz with PR but are maybe too old to get enough points / didn't get a degree, or whatever, and so cannot get enough points to qualify. Should this mean they are relegated to staying in the UK forever? Or should they still get a chance at fulfilling their dream? If their skills are in demand then, in my opinion, they deserve as much of an opportunity as the next person.

(4) People on a 457 may not contribute in the long-term (unless they convert to PR) but they still pay tax and do not take anything from the state in terms of benefits, etc. (like PRs can / do).

(5) If people cannot afford the fees (and I'm sure the majority can't), would home-schooling perhaps be an option? I can't say this would be my ideal choice if I was in such a position, although my friend is continually extolling the virtues of home-education, but the benefits are obvious. Plus, you'd be able to go on holiday out-of-termtime without getting fined! Lol.

457's come from around the world. Not all employers seek out local employees before accessing off shore. At the moment there are more job seekers in WA than any time than in the past five years. The issues around 457's are in the spot light. It is off no concern to folk here that folk can't get work in their own country.

Education has taken a hit in this state. The employer should factor in education costs if the 457 they are wanting to sponsor is deemed in such high demand. As I stated on another post 9,000 foreign students would fill at least five whole schools. Only right the visa holder pays. They just need to make sure they are coming with the right conditions.

most private school fees aren't close to $4000 for primary school, of course except for the prestige schools in the likes off Claremont,Nedlands and Swanbourne .

A better outcome, so the petition and uproar wasn't a waste of total time and someone did pay attention.

Leaving it till 2015 means people can prepare a bit better for the fees and I think the reduction for 2nd child onwards is good.

I suppose most people on a 457 coming out from here on in may have all this factored into their Salary with the sponsoring employer which will ease the costs for them.

My main concern was the one's already here on a 457 who probably could never have afforded it, I know people who are working in the South West in an abattoir and don't earn huge money like those in the mining

still don't agree with it to be honest.

But I must admit I didn't realise that people were paying school fees in public schools over East.

Edited by Irishgirl1

most private school fees aren't close to $4000 for primary school, of course except for the prestige schools in the likes off Claremont,Nedlands and Swanbourne .

A better outcome, so the petition and uproar wasn't a waste of total time and someone did pay attention.

t.

You surely dont think a petition on Facebook had anything to do with the change!

Leaving it till 2015 means people can prepare a bit better for the fees and I think the reduction for 2nd child onwards is good.

I suppose most people on a 457 coming out from here on in may have all this factored into their Salary with the sponsoring employer which will ease the costs for them.

My main concern was the one's already here on a 457 who probably could never have afforded it, I know people who are working in the South West in an abattoir and don't earn huge money like those in the mining

still don't agree with it to be honest.

But I must admit I didn't realise that people were paying school fees in public schools over East.

Congratulations, I am pleased for you.

I don't think it is wrong for temporary residents to pay for education but it was very wrong to impose it on people who were already there.

In the future I expect (good) employers will make it part of the package - we bought a rabbit hutch off a family who lived in Nedlands, in a stunning house, the house and private education (at a prestigious school) was paid for by the company the man worked for....how the other half live!

Congratulations, I am pleased for you.

I don't think it is wrong for temporary residents to pay for education but it was very wrong to impose it on people who were already there.

In the future I expect (good) employers will make it part of the package - we bought a rabbit hutch off a family who lived in Nedlands, in a stunning house, the house and private education (at a prestigious school) was paid for by the company the man worked for....how the other half live!

Oh I am not here on a 457 sorry I have been here 25 years, I am just pleased that they had a rethink on the whole thing, that's all, yes I suppose those who will have it factored into their Salary Package will be very lucky x

Oh I am not here on a 457 sorry I have been here 25 years, I am just pleased that they had a rethink on the whole thing, that's all, yes I suppose those who will have it factored into their Salary Package will be very lucky x

Ah sorry, I thought you had started this thread :)