How much do you love Perth?

Guest Guest26012

It's funny - but I still don't 'get' the houses in the UK. To me they all look the same. Even nice suburbs all look the same. I find it a bit off putting. I like the variety of houses in Perth. But my wife, (English) things all houses in Perth look the same, and she has trouble navigating, as everything looks the same, and there are no landmarks. Bizare. I guess you see what you want to see.

It won't be that long before the new estates look OK. They only look sterile because the builders rip everything up and the new areas just look like giant sandpits for a while. At least they leave plenty of parkland, play areas and water areas and generally maintain them pretty well.

When we moved here Beaumaris and Iluka were giant sandpits and both are beautiful areas now, it doesn't take long for the vegetation to grow back again. I like that the houses are all different on "estates" here. The estates in the UK used to look terrible with the same style of housing in every street.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey I can see a very big positive of all those that say they don't like Perth and find it boring....and the one who said he loved the airport......well how about booking a flight out of Perth and making room and freeing up some jobs for those that want to be here.......sorry i usually do not snipe but come on guys its about WHAT YOU LOVE ABOUT PERTH!!!!

Here's an interesting observation: I've never met a young Australian from Sydney or Melbourne who would move to Perth. From their point of view Perth, like Adelaide, is a city you move away from to go to a more buzzing city. At the end of the day, Perth is extremely small and remote, and for young people it will get boring very quickly.

Here's an interesting observation: I've never met a young Australian from Sydney or Melbourne who would move to Perth. From their point of view Perth, like Adelaide, is a city you move away from to go to a more buzzing city. At the end of the day, Perth is extremely small and remote, and for young people it will get boring very quickly.

And what's your 'observation' got to do with the title and purpose of this thread??

Guest Guest26012

Just a quick look through some great input, thanks guys! It's in the main, a positive look at Perth for a change. We get enough negative opinions on the place for would be migrants to get a balanced view! The usual Perth basher(s) have come along? I just expect it now so it doesn't really bother me? It's cathartic for them lol.

Guest Guest26012

Yawn! Another sweeping generalisation! Read the title of the thread! Go to forum, click on it, choose your category and hey presto, you can start your own thread! Simples!

So if none have tried it how would they know? Our eldest is 23 and when I went to pick him up after raftup last boxing day. He jumped in the car and being a bit pissed was waffling on about what a great day they'd had. I mentioned to him that he had it pretty good. His reply was "don't worry Paul, we know how lucky we are". Really pleasant to hear as sometimes I think they don't appreciate what they have, being raised here and not knowing any different.

Don't know how anyone would get bored in Perth, specially young, there aren't enough hours in the day to do stuff.

I'll let my teens know - they seem pretty content at the moment

I thought perth had loads to do when i was there, definitely an area i could see myself living in.

A young person wanting to move to Perth ... you've set the cat amongst the pigeons now BC

Lots of negative posts about Perth! But for those of us that live here,and are happy to stay here, can we have some positive posts for those coming here!

We love Perth! We love the laid back lifestyle, the weather, the beaches, the cafes, the parks, our friends, work, camping, food, bbqs.

Having lived in Hervey Bay (Qld), Melbourne and now Perth I can safely say I love Perth..... it's exactly what we've been looking for

I remeber thinking when we first arrived how good it was that all the houses were different, not like in the UK where the same builder builds all the homes on the new estate, you buy the plot then choose the builder and home design. It makes for a more attractive suburb imo. I personally prefer the more traditional style of housing but there are some lovely new homes out there. As far as new estates go Id say Perth has it over the UK. I like the inclusion of green space from the outset. I don't mind driving to the shops, it was the same on both of the new estates we lived on in the UK, further too. Here there are local shops in all new suburbs, most having a very adequate shopping centre with everything you really need.

Have to say this is exactly my view point – I don’t “hate” Perth. I just find it dull. Once you’re out of the CBD it is just endless suburbia stretching out for miles and there all largely the same. We were house hunting and so visiting lots of different suburbs to view display villages as we were thinking of building. I cant tell which is which – there all the same with the character of a cardboard box. Then there is the CBD. Its tiny and a fairly dull place. Its only redeeming feature being the view to it from Kings Park.

Then you have the beaches. Sorry, but for me, going to the beach day in day out is pretty dull. Nice occasionally but pretty tedious for anything longer. I live opposite a beach and other than walking the dog, haven’t been on it once to actually use it in the last 12 months.

We have had numerous family come over for visits in the 5 years we have been here and they all say the same thing. Great to visit for a week or two, but how on earth do you occupy yourselves for more than a couple of weeks.

As for families. We don’t have children. But I know I would far prefer to have them growing up in the UK with access to all the different cities and everything London has to offer them from museums to galleries to historical and cultural things than a beach. I would far rather they have access to Europe on their doorstep and the ability to pop over to Paris for a day trip or have a weekend away for peanuts in a hundred different cities – many of them world icons - than have access to a beach.

Thought you had a son, VS? I saw in a thread recently that you took him to Rockpool, and, naturally, complained about the price / quality?

I really pity you having to fly in / fly out all the way from Africa back to a place that you so clearly dislike.

Good luck...

The impression I get from this forum is that if you're a young family; middle aged with kids; retiring; a tradie; and come from North England, Perth will seem like the bees knees to you.

However, if you're young; single; are a banker, accountant or lawyer; like to travel; and come from a big city like London, you will hate Perth.

This may have been the case a few years ago but not so much now.

My wife and I are professionals in our very early 30's, love living in Perth and find there is plenty to do - in fact, the weekends aren't long enough! Of course Perth isn't like London but the two are incomparable, so why people try is beyond me (we lived in West London during our 20's).

We also have friends in Melbourne and Sydney who moved from London and enjoy their respective cities too.

Maybe life is what you make it...

Right ill clear it up. I'm my honest opinion after living north of the river for 2 years I have to say that as a father of two small kids perth has to be the most boring backwards place I could of possibly landed. If it wasn't for my job this would of been a major mistake. I do not want my children to grow up here, apart from the beach it has absolutely nothing extra that it can offer your kids that the uk can't. Infact there are a 1000 more places to take kids in the UK.i have been all over metro perth and its all the same, mile after mile of sterile housing estates .. Your limited to a very few things to actually go and see .. And when they've been done your a very very long way from anything else. Hope this helps hoff. It doesn't matter where I live because its all the bloody same.

Have to agree with you about the sterile housing estates Paul, especailly the 'developing' far northern (one of which I believe you live in??) and southern suburbs!

A couple of points I would like to raise though.

Most boring, backwards place ever? Really? Haha!

And you say you have young children (1 and 4); what EXACTLY do you want to do with them? Pubbing, clubbing and flash restaurants? Live music, shows and art galleries? Or hours of playgrounds, Dora the Explorer and C Beebies?

I think you'll find that it is your stage of life that is restricting you and not the city YOU CHOOSE to live in. You could move back to the UK tomorrow and you will still be the first-class miserabalist that you are.

Raceway out...

Have to agree with you about the sterile housing estates Paul, especailly the 'developing' far northern (one of which I believe you live in??) and southern suburbs!

A couple of points I would like to raise though.

Most boring, backwards place ever? Really? Haha!

And you say you have young children (1 and 4); what EXACTLY do you want to do with them? Pubbing, clubbing and flash restaurants? Live music, shows and art galleries? Or hours of playgrounds, Dora the Explorer and C Beebies?

I think you'll find that it is your stage of life that is restricting you and not the city YOU CHOOSE to live in. You could move back to the UK tomorrow and you will still be the first-class miserabalist that you are.

Raceway out...

apart from a beach or a park you tell me where I can take them.....? An adult has to have a life too, I will take my kids to the beach and a park on the weekends when we move back, then as they get older i will take them places that hopefully educate them and show them A little history. Something you can't do here..!

It's funny mr raceway that perth constantly gets slagged off on this site but not a single other city does.. Makes you think doesn't it. We all can't be wrong can we and why doesn't any other city get tarred with the boring brush...??? As your name say mr raceway you proberbly fit in well here with your v6 flying round the streets like an utter t••••r with the rest of them.

Regards mr miserable

Thanks Mad Cow for starting this thread. A shame that the usual whinger/s had to waylay it, but the majority of the posts were brilliant and just demonstrate that there is so much to do here and so much to like about the whole state, not just Perth.

I love living in Perth and have done so for 22 years. I live in an older suburb south of the river and love the diversity of housing; the way the many different nationalities in my suburb all blend together and how friendly everyone is; the many shopping areas to go shopping that are not a Westfield centre or the like, although they are there if I want them; the small cafes; the wonderful walks around the Canning River; the amazing beaches within a half hour drive; the many clubs that provide every interest from amateur dramatics, crafts and every sport imaginable. There is never a shortage of things to do or places to go, and if I do feel that I don't want to go out at all, I can sit by my pool and just enjoy my little bit of paradise and read a book.

• 2 months later...

How much do I love perth ?

Love Perth ...it has been home to my family for 19 months :wink: and we are staying ! Love the people , the places( yes there are lots of places to see , I don't mean shops or bars lol ) Nature at its best .

I love how my children call this their home now , Perth has so much to offer , in business, family time, so much to do if you open your eyes !

Guest The Ropey HOFF
How much do I love perth ?

Love Perth ...it has been home to my family for 19 months :wink: and we are staying ! Love the people , the places( yes there are lots of places to see , I don't mean shops or bars lol ) Nature at its best .

I love how my children call this their home now , Perth has so much to offer , in business, family time, so much to do if you open your eyes !

Great at to hear your loving it in Perth gal, what's not to love? :yes::wink:

Love it or hate it - they do have some serious infrastructure work to do. A city can't grow like that with no investment. I can see serious problems down the line.

Have you seen what's being done already in the CBD?

No point fixing the outskirts if the inside is still broken.

Archived