Any Health Care Students

I spoke to the first lecturer (also the one writing the exam) and he gave us what to revise from the 2nd lesson and what to disregard (which was a lot of it!) I want to learn as much as possible but if it's something that isn't going to help me in the slightest anytime soon I would rather be focusing on what we do need! lol xx

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a good and a bad day lol one anatomy lesson was amazing and the other just didn't teach me anything cos the lecturer was so quick and everyone felt the same was just hard work to understand grr I hate it when that happens lol x

Grrrrrrr Anatomy.

For me it's a huge part of my course, not sure what it's like for nursing as I know you have a million and one other hugely important things to learn too.

I have a mock anatomy exam next Monday: 50 multiple choice images of nerves, veins, arteries, tendons, ligaments, muscles, bursa, fascia cartilage and bony prominences to identify and occasionally it will ask their function, just for good measure!!!

Need over 80% to keep my grade average up... averaging 65% so far :nah:.

On a lighter note I have just found all the forms and procedures involved in student registration (AHPRA) for the likes of us. It is for students who are not registered on an approved course (ie overseas) but who have arranged a clinical placement in Australia. It is for a university to complete, so all very above board.

I know for some this is not an option due to family, but how it all works has been playing on my mind recently, so the info is there for everyone now :ssign19:

9th FAQ down:

http://www.ahpra.gov.au/Registration/Student-Registrations/FAQ-for-Education-Providers.aspx

Hi,

At the end of my 2nd year I was beyond keen to do a placement for the oz experience and for it to look good on my cc. Unfortunately, in our uni we only had a certain number of allocations(I think it was 2) and the biggest downfall was that we had to pay for everything. I spoke to a lady who had just done it and it cost her approx 3500GBP which included flights, accommodation and cost of living etc. As the bursary isn't brilliant and because I have a family and mortgage and bills to pay etc it was simply just too much of a burden.

If I'd had more savings then I would have def gone as she had a fantastic time. She was fortunate to be able to take her family with her and even stsyed an extra couple of weeks at the end of it for a 2 week holiday !!

It's worth enquiring about as your respective unis may be able to contribute to the visit.

Good luck !!!

(I'm 6 months post qualifying, just revising for my IELTS... ts taken me 5 years to get to this stage..... Don't give up, you'll be surprised how quickly it goes)

Hi,

At the end of my 2nd year I was beyond keen to do a placement for the oz experience and for it to look good on my cc. Unfortunately, in our uni we only had a certain number of allocations(I think it was 2) and the biggest downfall was that we had to pay for everything. I spoke to a lady who had just done it and it cost her approx 3500GBP which included flights, accommodation and cost of living etc. As the bursary isn't brilliant and because I have a family and mortgage and bills to pay etc it was simply just too much of a burden.

If I'd had more savings then I would have def gone as she had a fantastic time. She was fortunate to be able to take her family with her and even stsyed an extra couple of weeks at the end of it for a 2 week holiday !!

It's worth enquiring about as your respective unis may be able to contribute to the visit.

Good luck !!!

(I'm 6 months post qualifying, just revising for my IELTS... ts taken me 5 years to get to this stage..... Don't give up, you'll be surprised how quickly it goes)

ACTUALLY I THINK IT WAS GONNA BE A MINIMUM OF 3500, I seem to remember her saying it was nearer 6500!!

Hi cherries

Thanks for your message it's a inspiration and motivation for us for the light at the end of the very long tunnel...haha! A extremely long tunnel for me as I start in sept and then have another 4 years (access course first year) but I keep thinking about Australia and that it will be worth it and I hope that will give me the kick up the bum when I am flagging and feel like I can't do it. Which all these emotions are going through me and I haven't even started yet eek!

Interesting that you could take your family too though so if we were to start saving up now potentially it could be like a little real life situation and what living in oz could really be like xx

What is transition? I am totally jealous that you have been before haha some people think I am mad to be completely (obsessed it seems) intent on moving to Australia when I haven't even stepped foot on the country...

My thing is I would only want to take the girls on that flight the once....nearly a day travelling with two small children is enough to have me rocking on the floor in a dark room :-) haha!

Yeah ours are older than yours and I still think they would drive me slightly mad lol. It's just where you go and observe instead of do any clinical stuff. We had 3 weeks last year and I just went round the London museums and then wrote an essay (unmarked) about it lol. This year we have 5 weeks from end of November so if we do go again this year like we are hoping it would fit in well :) xx

We spent about £5000 on a holiday for 2 of us last year. If we go again before I qualify I would want a holiday lol or otherwise save it for emigrating properly. Maybe if I go in December time I can do my transition there and not have to worry about registration etc as it's observing x

I spent about £3500 on a 3 week backpacking hol in 2004, around £10,000 for 2 of us (serviced apartments, 5 internal flights and hotels) for a 5 week trip including a week in hawaii/san Francisco on the way home and I saved £3000 (plus flights) for my WHV.

I've been looking at housesitting which seems good but would need further research.

That would save a fortune, I'd just need money for flights, living and car then and I have 2yrs to save by working in the summer hols.

Also thinking it could be our reccie as OH has never been and we'd want a reccie in 2yrs anyway.

2 birds 1 stone :)

Hi everyone! Been reading this thread with great interest! I don't know why, but I've held off posting. :/

For those that don't know me, I'm Anna. I'm a second year Podiatry student. It has it's ups and downs but overall I'm absolutely loving it!! I did an access course before starting the degree and can't believe how fast the time is going!

Before Uni I did a few different office jobs and I spent 4 and a bit months backpacking around Australia. I had the most amazing time and fell in love with the place.

I'm not sure if I want to live there for ever, but I would absolutely love to give it a go for a while, it's an adventure and the idea of working somewhere completely different for a while is too good to let go of.

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing really well and enjoying your course. Look forward to chatting and seeing how everyone gets on.

Best regards;

Anna.

Anna,

I found out today that one of my uni's placements in Australia (we have 4) is with the flying doctors... cannot wait until my final year!!!

Holy smoke! That's my ultimate dream job! That is incredible. We don't get to do anything like that. I'm sure that must be the experience of a lifetime.

Absolutely go on it if you can! Hope you do! :-)

Wow that sounds good. If I make it to uni id love to do a placement abroad but it sounds so expensive

It is and it isn't.

Once I'm qualified I fully intend on traveling to oz with my oh before starting the visa process, as he's never been before.

With this in mind we could bring that trip forward to coincide with my placement.

That aside yes, you need a minimum of return flights (£750ish) and 6wks of day to day living (god only knows $$$).

You also need to pay for your own visa.

Accommodation is the clincher, some on my course have got free/subsidised accommodation, but it's not always possible. I did price up a 4 bed female dorm for 4weeks and was surprised it was only £550!

If its planned enough in advance don't rule it out :) x

That's not too bad actually. I guess it would be mostly a years placement that would be megabucks. My cousin wanted to do a year in Australia or America and the uni told her it would be a lot, I'm sure it was like 8k and I don't even know if that was living expenses. I'd need to ask her more info. She's not going now but it was for a different reason

Archived