Any Health Care Students

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi, im not a student im afraid but a paedatric nurse been qualified almost 2yrs. currently in the process of moving to oz if you need any help or advice :-) x

I am paediatric nurse and just beginning process of oz move... Just hope for job prefer perth but would go anywhere:) dreaded ielts in under 6 weeks

Hi... Im a student nurse, and set to qualify this September :biggrin: I started the process quite a few years ago, having to do an access course first so once I finish it will have already taken me 5 years to get to this stage. Ive been fortunate to have got a job offer this week so I intend to get some experience with a view of trying to get a job in Oz next year (think I will have to be very persistent and just hope I find someone who is prepared to take me on).

I did approach a couple of Universitys re: graduate scheme but they were very honest and said it was very unrealistic for me to get onto this as they took preference to the Oz student nurses first. She did however say that once I gained the experience some hospitals are prepared to give some the chance and do take them a little earlier than the normal required length of time (experience that is).

What kind of nursing are you doing? what are your plans ??

Hey all :) I'm in my first year of adult nursing at Greenwich university. I did an access course too so I've been studying for nearly 2 years and have 2 years left. I hope to get a job before I qualify in the UK and then get at least a years experience before we make the move to Australia :) x

How has it been so far? X

Hi, i will be honest it has its ups and downs, but it is really good, i do enjoy it. Time just flies by, you will be qualified before you know it. My best advice to you is start applying early for aphra/visas etc. as everything takes so long. I waited 10wks for aphra, and still waiting for my visa after 12wks. The whole process takes ages. Good luck with the rest of your training. X

Hey, Its been a long time since i was on here...my plans to move to Oz have been put on hold, as i am now doing an access to nursing course, which will take 12 months, im a 3rd way through it now, then another 12 months getting experience in a care home environment (so that the uni will even look at me), then on to uni for 3 years...so im looking at 5 years before im qualified, then i will need actual nursing experience before i can apply to emigrate...a long hard slog, but it will be worth it, even if i dont get to oz, at least i will have a decent job..

Good Luck everyone x

Hey, Its been a long time since i was on here...my plans to move to Oz have been put on hold, as i am now doing an access to nursing course, which will take 12 months, im a 3rd way through it now, then another 12 months getting experience in a care home environment (so that the uni will even look at me), then on to uni for 3 years...so im looking at 5 years before im qualified, then i will need actual nursing experience before i can apply to emigrate...a long hard slog, but it will be worth it, even if i dont get to oz, at least i will have a decent job..

Good Luck everyone x

I remember you! Your doing it through the DLC arent you? Im going to end up pestering you aswell with questions about it lol x

Good Luck everyone x

Hey :) I went for two interviews for the two unis I applied for and got places at both without any experience so if you wanted to apply then it might be worth a chance then if you don't get in due to lack of experience then work for a year and try again the next year? :) I'm in my first year, going to qualify, do a year working and apply for visas :) xx

I did 3 days voluntary work in my local care home, loved it and knew that nursing was for me, i included this in my personal statement and applied a scenario when i got through to the final interview.. They never asked how many days i had done. I think that as it is becoming more competitive to get a place it could be just the extra experience you have that clinches that place.... Good luck

Just wanted to add I applied to 4 unis without experience, got interviews at all 4, (missed 1 interview), got offered 2 places and refused 1. If you have what it takes experience isn't necessary. People do say it's useful but I was prepared to learn all the basics so just jumped on the drop end. Going into my third year soon and still raining to jump in the deep end with basic care when neccesary.

Good luck with your plans. I'm always here for anyone, with applicatipns, assignments etc xx

I went to an open day @ leeds uni, and i was told that if they have lots of applications, then they wont even look at mine if i dont have experience, which does make sense..Although i think they are changing the criteria so that you need to have done at least 12 months experience before they allow you to do the degree, its so they can get the caring side back in to nursing, as there are lots of students going from being an academic to looking after people, and they feel they dont have the empathy needed for the job.

I just want to make myself stand out on the application, and not risk them turning me down.

My sister in law works as a home help, and i could go to work for her company, just a few hours over the weekends. My problem is that i cant give up work just yet.

I totally agree, we have had a few on our cohort (this does not apply to everyone straight from college though) who in my opinion didnt appear quite empathetic when dealing with patients which I found quite annoying as I know some people who cant get onto the course who would make fantastic nurses. That said I think the 12 month minimum experience should apply to everyone, not necessarily full time, perhaps so many hours over a 12 month period to satisfy entry requirements so that people can still work full time/college etc.. I totally love being a nurse (I can say that now Im only about 8 weeks from finishing :wink:) and love being there for them when they need you the most, very rewarding, just wish id done it years ago.

My next stage is to get that much needed experience and then start the ball rolling for Oz, beyond excited about the prospect of 1. moving to a country Ive wanted to do for so long and 2. being able to be a nurse while im there

Good Luck everyone x

You will be surprised how quick the time goes, i did the same access course part time over 2 years then uni for 3 qualified last year so 1 year experiance from sept 13 ball rolling for move to OZ.............you will do it good luck xx

Hi all, I'm currently a second year student nurse, just a year and a bit to go! Can't wait to finish now. We hope to move to aus once I'm qualified, preferably with a bit of experience. Does anyone know if HCA banks shifts count anything towards work experience? I don't think it will but just hoping really. We've lived in aus before so know what it's like and I've had a strong pull to go back ever since we left! Wish we had stayed now! Good luck to everyone in the process of emigrating x

I think one of my problems is my age, im 34 already, so will be nearly 40 by the time i can start the ball rolling to apply to Oz. Does anyone on here think that will be a problem? x

I will be 39+1 next year and have only started process for skill assessment. Need good score on ielts to get points for visa so here's hoping. So age not problem that can't be overcome :)