Any Health Care Students

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so itching to start just want to get on and do it so excited. Spoke to my S-I-L's matron at the care home she is a nurse at very positive she seemed lovely and said I am more than welcome to volunteer there and to come and have a sit down chat and look around on Sunday. Yippee!! ?

I am in a bit of a predicament at the moment because I am currently on mat leave and due to go back 3 days a week as of 31st March. Now I am wondering whether I could enquire about a part time job there and do a nvq level 2 if that could be done between march and september? It will all look better on my application form to Keele uni wouldn't it. Has anybody else done the work based nvq route? Xx

I am so itching to start just want to get on and do it so excited. Spoke to my S-I-L's matron at the care home she is a nurse at very positive she seemed lovely and said I am more than welcome to volunteer there and to come and have a sit down chat and look around on Sunday. Yippee!! ?

I am in a bit of a predicament at the moment because I am currently on mat leave and due to go back 3 days a week as of 31st March. Now I am wondering whether I could enquire about a part time job there and do a nvq level 2 if that could be done between march and september? It will all look better on my application form to Keele uni wouldn't it. Has anybody else done the work based nvq route? Xx

That's great. Good Luck at the care home, sounds very promising. I haven't done an work based route but I do know that Universities like to see recent study even if it's just one Open University module on something health related. Might be the edge your application has above others xx

Me too fingers crossed. What previous qualifications do u have? Mine are from 12 Years ago (gcse) plus done AAT level 2/3 and that's it x

Just standard grades (gcse). Didn't do amazing in them.. Got 2's and 4's. Then I did animal care in 2008 - 2010. Haven't studied since. It's not that I'm dumb (hope not anyway lol) it's just that I never push myself. Plus my brains totally been rotting away lol. I think the access course should be good for us both x

Just standard grades (gcse). Didn't do amazing in them.. Got 2's and 4's. Then I did animal care in 2008 - 2010. Haven't studied since. It's not that I'm dumb (hope not anyway lol) it's just that I never push myself. Plus my brains totally been rotting away lol. I think the access course should be good for us both x

Sounds exactly the same as me. I didn't do too well in school because I was back and forth from Wales to Staffordshire because of my parents (I didn't have the easiest childhood) so didn't do too well but managed to get 4 viable grades (ie A-C then another 3 past that mark but only got a D in maths so been told they can Tailor the course to make sure I get an equivalent C grace) then started working as an accounts assistant literally just got a job didn't actually know what it was haha so studied to go along with that in 2006-2008 then didn't do anymore as had two children instead and been working part time since 2009. I am totally motivated to do this though always wanted to be a nurse and want to emigrate to Australia so 110% commitment for doing this. X

What would you have to do to be an assistant? Do you think if you limited yourself to being something that wouldn't allow you to emigrate you would regret it? xx

It's a one year course, a HNC which then gets you into second year at uni at some uni's because it's basically just first year. I don't know.. I'm still going to do the access course obviously but I'll need to have a good think about it during that. I still get confused about wether I want to emigrate or just do the whole whv thing x

Haha okay thanks  I have so much to learn. I am only at the stage of applying for access course will be sept 2015 before I start degree part. X

Im doing an access to nursing course at the moment and should be applying for uni next year, however I need to call a couple of unis today as I have missed the deadline to apply for this year, but UCAS have said they will accept late applications but to confirm it with the unis first.

Im doing an access to nursing course at the moment and should be applying for uni next year, however I need to call a couple of unis today as I have missed the deadline to apply for this year, but UCAS have said they will accept late applications but to confirm it with the unis first.

Hiya

How are you finding the access course?

Today I've been wondering if i would be more happy to be a occupational therapy assistant instead of the full thing. Was just something i was thinking of randomly today, I met some when I was at the OT department. However it would mean I would never be able to emigrate

I wouldn't burn the Australia bridges just yet. In my mind I am doing this because A) I have always wanted too B) financially we will be better off and my husband won't be as stressed working all the hours under the sun and lastly but most importantly C) we can apply through Skilled Trade for 189/190 visa. So as far as I see it, it's a WIN WIN WIN situation haha ? if we choose not to go it's no biggy but if we want too which we totally do at the moment then we can.

Hope this helps somewhat in making your mind up x

I didn't do very at school neither, got 3 viable gcse's...went straight into office work and have been doing that ever since, for 15 years, right up until last sept. I had started the access course the feb 2013, gave up my office job sept 2013, started work doing home help until jan 2014...had to leave there as there was no work/life balance. I had no life with the hours they gave me. So now i'm working in a care village, they do residential, nursing inc dementia, rehab and respite care...im doing care work to get the experience needed for uni. They will put me through my NVQ's which is good....

Hiya

How are you finding the access course?

The course itself is good - they ease you in, so start you off nice and easy. So by the time you have to do proper work you are practiced in it. My problem is motivation, its difficult to get yourself moving when you are at home on your own...

Who are you doing the access course with? when do you start? x

I wouldn't burn the Australia bridges just yet. In my mind I am doing this because A) I have always wanted too B) financially we will be better off and my husband won't be as stressed working all the hours under the sun and lastly but most importantly C) we can apply through Skilled Trade for 189/190 visa. So as far as I see it, it's a WIN WIN WIN situation haha  if we choose not to go it's no biggy but if we want too which we totally do at the moment then we can.

Hope this helps somewhat in making your mind up x

I totally agree with all this - in my mind I want to move to Australia, have always wanted to be a nurse. If I didnt get to Australia I will still have a good career..

Well if I did do the HNC instead of going straight to the degree I wouldn't say it was burning bridges, can always go to uni after that. However I'll most likely go to uni if I get on the access course and pass

For us we are saying its a 5 year process - we would like to be in Aus by the time we are 40....

How old are you Stacey? If you are young enough and patient enough then you can bide your time, get qualified and experienced as much as you can to give yourself the best chance of having your emigration application accepted. it will be so worth it. xx

For us we are saying its a 5 year process - we would like to be in Aus by the time we are 40....

How old are you Stacey? If you are young enough and patient enough then you can bide your time, get qualified and experienced as much as you can to give yourself the best chance of having your emigration application accepted. it will be so worth it. xx

I'm 23, I'll be 24 in July. Not getting any younger lol x

I'm 23, I'll be 24 in July. Not getting any younger lol x

Lol plenty of life in you yet and plenty of time to decide. I on the other hand just turned 28 so the 5 years for the access/Degree/1 year post qualification experience along with the visa application duration, time it takes to actually move I am looking at around 35 years old. Which I want to be out there and mortgaged because I don't want to be paying a mortgage past a acceptable retirement age. Us oldies got to think about these things haha! Right McFisher? X

The course itself is good - they ease you in, so start you off nice and easy. So by the time you have to do proper work you are practiced in it. My problem is motivation, its difficult to get yourself moving when you are at home on your own...

Who are you doing the access course with? when do you start? x

Ahh that's great to here i am worried about the motivation aspect but i guess with Australia at stake i will push on with it and give it all i got.

Our local college two evenings a week and will start now in sept. Wish i was doing it now x

Lol plenty of life in you yet and plenty of time to decide. I on the other hand just turned 28 so the 5 years for the access/Degree/1 year post qualification experience along with the visa application duration, time it takes to actually move I am looking at around 35 years old. Which I want to be out there and mortgaged because I don't want to be paying a mortgage past a acceptable retirement age. Us oldies got to think about these things haha! Right McFisher? X

I'm a total nightmare, I've been like this for at least a year. I'm certain I want to study but I might take a year out before going to uni if I pass. You guys aren't old at all lol it's just you need to have plans when you have a family. You guys will get there, it'll go in quickly x

I would be wary to take a year out before Uni just because health care courses are getting harder and harder to get into although you could always go to interviews etc and then when you get your place defer for a year before starting :) or you could start it and get it all done before you are 30 get a WHV and go visit Australia and then decide if you want to emigrate :) x

Id echo the above, its easy to get into the flow of studying (the years pass quick) however once you take that break its difficult to get back into (it took me 10 years). However, if you are looking at WHV consider the difference in quality of going over on a WHV picking up minimum wage or being a qualified healthcare professional and picking up agency fee's? You would be potentially doubling your income potential.

It is easy to jump ship Stacey but it is far easier to study when you have no commitments and you don't know what's round the corner. I wish I could turn the clock back and do this ten years ago! x

Edited by jac2011

Id echo the above, its easy to get into the flow of studying (the years pass quick) however once you take that break its difficult to get back into (it took me 10 years). However, if you are looking at WHV consider the difference in quality of going over on a WHV picking up minimum wage or being a qualified healthcare professional and picking up agency fee's? You would be potentially doubling your income potential.

It is easy to jump ship Stacey but it is far easier when you have no commitments and you don't know what's round the corner. I wish I could turn the clock back and do this ten years ago! x

Snap I wish I had done this 10 years ago too but that's hindsight for you isn't it. X