Any Health Care Students

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest16631
Oooh I just found a modern apprenticeship for health care worker in Glasgow. I'm going to ring up about it first thing on Monday. I saw them last year but they wanted standard grades at 1 or 2 and maths as well but this one just says four standard grades and English has to be level 1. Then there's a phone number if you need a chat about it so I'll ring them and double check about the maths etc

........that sounds wonderful Stacey.....

........best of luck with that................tink x

Well, I've just been informed by my manager at the home I work in that I am getting signed up to do my NVQ level 3 on Monday morning, I was quite surprised as they have secured funding for it straight away and we have been told we can do it at our own pace, I also got an email late on Friday evening from Cumbria university on about their nursing courses, I had a quick flick through and noticed that you can apply for their Adult nursing course with an NVQ Level 3 which was a surprise as hardly any universities do this now, so I am possibly thinking if I am unable to get a place on the access course this September then I may look into going into nursing.

It is something I have thought of before and everyone at my work keeps telling me I should do it but the thing that has held me back is how rubbish at maths I am and just wondered are drug calculations hard to do? as this is what would bother me the most.

Thanks

Tracey

I'm rubbish at Maths lol. Drug calculations aren't hard when you know how. I passed a maths test to get into Nursing and have passed all drugs calculation exams so far so if I can do it they can't be that hard lol.

I start my learning disability placement today. I'm working in the cafe and gardening etc.... Will be interesting lol xx

I'm rubbish at Maths lol. Drug calculations aren't hard when you know how. I passed a maths test to get into Nursing and have passed all drugs calculation exams so far so if I can do it they can't be that hard lol.

I start my learning disability placement today. I'm working in the cafe and gardening etc.... Will be interesting lol xx

Good luck with the placement today, hope it goes well for you. X

Hope the placement went well. Totally different from previous placements, I bet!

I was convinced I had two weeks left of placement and was happy I would have one week off the same as schools for Easter. Just clicked this morning I have three weeks left! Ahh!

On thr plus side, things are moving along with my elective placement overseas!

My work have signed me up to do my NVQ I had to do an English and maths test (this was straight after I had done a 12 hour night shift) I passed my English, but I failed my maths completely, which I knew was coming as I'm rubbish at maths! The NVQ guy basically made me do the test again but he told me all the answers which I was a bit surprised about!

Now I'm signed up to do it I know work want me to do it but I am having 2nd thoughts as I am still aiming to get onto the Access course at my local college in September with hopefully studying Occupational Therapy or Nursing next year (2015) obviously it would be hard doing both the NVQ and Access Course so would be worth chatting with my manager and just saying I don't want to do my NVQ? I just feel it would not let me progress where I want to go and feel it could just hold me back another year.

Tracey

My work have signed me up to do my NVQ I had to do an English and maths test (this was straight after I had done a 12 hour night shift) I passed my English, but I failed my maths completely, which I knew was coming as I'm rubbish at maths! The NVQ guy basically made me do the test again but he told me all the answers which I was a bit surprised about!

Now I'm signed up to do it I know work want me to do it but I am having 2nd thoughts as I am still aiming to get onto the Access course at my local college in September with hopefully studying Occupational Therapy or Nursing next year (2015) obviously it would be hard doing both the NVQ and Access Course so would be worth chatting with my manager and just saying I don't want to do my NVQ? I just feel it would not let me progress where I want to go and feel it could just hold me back another year.

Tracey

Did you decide to tell them? NVQ and access course would be really hard. I think if your having second thoughts about it you should just stick with access. Let me know how you get on!

So... I finally moved my ass and signed up for the distance learning course. So I guess I'm officially a student :biggrin: Just waiting on them to send the stuff I need to start.

I'm crapping myself about it, it's going to be so hard but I need to try it. If I don't then I'll regret it.

I've got my OT session tomorrow as well so that'll be good, I actually get to see a group instead of just a tour around the school

Said it already but WELL DONE. Officially a student now like us :)) xx

Thanks! You've been such a help, your hair will be grey by the time I've finished lol you'll be blocking me on Facebook haha. I've to do the induction activities and I've to have a chat with jan next week about which units to choose but I've got a rough idea anyway. Wish I had signed up ages ago instead of putting it off constantly. Woohoo student card as well lol :laugh: I'm going to go to the library tomorrow and get started. I'm going to need to get a anatomy and physiology for dummies book lol xx

So... I finally moved my ass and signed up for the distance learning course. So I guess I'm officially a student :biggrin: Just waiting on them to send the stuff I need to start.

I'm crapping myself about it, it's going to be so hard but I need to try it. If I don't then I'll regret it.

I've got my OT session tomorrow as well so that'll be good, I actually get to see a group instead of just a tour around the school

Well done. You will do fab I'm sure. Everything is on the up for you. :-) x

Thanks! You've been such a help, your hair will be grey by the time I've finished lol you'll be blocking me on Facebook haha. I've to do the induction activities and I've to have a chat with jan next week about which units to choose but I've got a rough idea anyway. Wish I had signed up ages ago instead of putting it off constantly. Woohoo student card as well lol :laugh: I'm going to go to the library tomorrow and get started. I'm going to need to get a anatomy and physiology for dummies book lol xx

Well if you need to know anything about drowning I'm your gal. 2500 words and it drove me to despair! But I won't be forgetting it in a hurry. Is that a good or bad thing I wonder. o_O

Well if you need to know anything about drowning I'm your gal. 2500 words and it drove me to despair! But I won't be forgetting it in a hurry. Is that a good or bad thing I wonder. o_O

Which access course did you do? I'm

Dreading the word counts lol my hairs going to go grey haha

Which access course did you do? I'm

Dreading the word counts lol my hairs going to go grey haha

I started on a nursing one but changed to natural and physical sciences (same modules different name that's all). The drowning assignment was for my current forensic science degree.

I tend to struggle reaching word counts, others struggle reining in lol.

Haha no you definitely will not be getting blocked on Facebook lol. You should look at getting Ross and Wilson for biology. I've had it since I started access and I used it throughout that and it's been fab for Uni too xx

PS student discount is fab lol get yourself a NUS extra card xx

Well there will probably be times when you want to block me lol. I'm going to go check out the biology books, see if I can get a cheap one. I asked my friend If I could borrow one of her nursing books. just like biology or anatomy and physiology but she said I'd be better trying to buy a more recent one. I didn't think much would of changed lol. Yeah I'll definitely be getting a NUS card! X

Ross and Wilson is a fantastic anatomy book, even within mental health we used it in our first year.

I have just finished my 2nd assignment of the year, heading into uni now to print it off and hand in! It was certainly a dull one, reflecting on the portfolio's we have to keep on each placement and how we met our outcomes at the level expected of us for that year.