Any Health Care Students

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough it's a pass but it's not what the uni's want and if I can't even manage a merit I've no chance of ever getting a distinction. I know I'm just feeling sorry for myself but I feel like I've lost the very little motivation/confidence that I had to begin with.

Fair enough it's a pass but it's not what the uni's want and if I can't even manage a merit I've no chance of ever getting a distinction. I know I'm just feeling sorry for myself but I feel like I've lost the very little motivation/confidence that I had to begin with.

Been there done that Hun. And I soooooo cannot take my own medicine (a pass is a pass, no one asks how much you passed by).

One particular exam I though I had done well on but only scraped a pass actually crushed me. And my assignments directly after that suffered as a result. Then I picked myself up and my grades went up too. I let school with no GCSE's at all. Now I'm doing a degree course and I love it. I would like merits, that's what I try and aim for. Sure distinctions are great but I personally don't reach that high very often especially in exams (can't do exams, brain runs away).

But a lady on my access course was working full time, 3 boys, often coming to college straight after a night shift and got distinctions in every assignment.

This was your first assignment after a while out of education, I'm sure once you settle into it you will get those Merits and maybe some distinctions too! Keep positive Hun. X

Thanks xx I'm probably being too hard on myself. I was just convinced id managed a merit. When I first sent her my work to check I was on the right lines she said it was looking really good. So I tried even harder after that. She said it was bordering on a pass/merit so they had to get a group to look at it but they decided on a pass instead

Thanks xx I'm probably being too hard on myself. I was just convinced id managed a merit. When I first sent her my work to check I was on the right lines she said it was looking really good. So I tried even harder after that. She said it was bordering on a pass/merit so they had to get a group to look at it but they decided on a pass instead

So it was close anyway by the sounds of it! That's great! Honestly it'll get easier, when was the last time you did academic work?

You will get there Stacy, I think of it as my brain warming up. It will surprise you how far you come as the assignments come on... Don't forget, your welcome to email me it before you submit and I will go through it with a toothcomb if that helps x

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Haven't posted here in a while but glad to say that I applied, sat entry assessments and was accepted onto the access course health related. I start in sept and plan on applying to 2 local university's in dec/Jan for the next academic year sept 2015. So excited feel like I am making my first steps to becoming a nurse and applying for visas (small steps but thinking positive)

Also have been volunteering at my local palliative care hospice. It's been really great experience and started to be a bit more hands on now which is great really enjoying it.

Hope your all well xx

Hi everyone

Haven't posted here in a while but glad to say that I applied, sat entry assessments and was accepted onto the access course health related. I start in sept and plan on applying to 2 local university's in dec/Jan for the next academic year sept 2015. So excited feel like I am making my first steps to becoming a nurse and applying for visas (small steps but thinking positive)

Also have been volunteering at my local palliative care hospice. It's been really great experience and started to be a bit more hands on now which is great really enjoying it.

Hope your all well xx

Congratulations on getting into the course! Bet your excited. Was it quite easy to volunteer at the hospice? I'm applying once I'm back home. As a ward visitor x

Congratulations on getting into the course! Bet your excited. Was it quite easy to volunteer at the hospice? I'm applying once I'm back home. As a ward visitor x

Hi Stacey

I remember chatting to u months back u wasn't sure which way u wanted to go in health care did u decide?

Yes easy enough I applied and went to a informal interview and got offered a place on the IPU Ward I go in on a Sunday morning for my sins so no late partying for me anymore haha! I used go volunteer at a local residents home on a Sunday to be fair but the Douglas macmillan was to good of a opportunity to pass up on because they ofter u a lot more free training in their on site education centre and they give u a portfolio of record of achievement and competencies that you complete with your mentor so really very formal and they have great links with my local uni too x

Hi Stacey

I remember chatting to u months back u wasn't sure which way u wanted to go in health care did u decide?

Yes easy enough I applied and went to a informal interview and got offered a place on the IPU Ward I go in on a Sunday morning for my sins so no late partying for me anymore haha! I used go volunteer at a local residents home on a Sunday to be fair but the Douglas macmillan was to good of a opportunity to pass up on because they ofter u a lot more free training in their on site education centre and they give u a portfolio of record of achievement and competencies that you complete with your mentor so really very formal and they have great links with my local uni too x

The jury is still out on that one lol but I'm 90% sure I'm going for nursing, mental health though not adult. I did think about doing adult first and then mental health but probably not much point.

That sounds really good! So what kind of things do they let you do? Sounds like really good experience for you. The hospital I'm applying to just let's you visit the patients, play games/read to them etc but it should still be good if they accept me. My friend volunteered and now she works for them.

I'm sure it'll be worth you stopping the late night partying lol x

The jury is still out on that one lol but I'm 90% sure I'm going for nursing, mental health though not adult. I did think about doing adult first and then mental health but probably not much point.

That sounds really good! So what kind of things do they let you do? Sounds like really good experience for you. The hospital I'm applying to just let's you visit the patients, play games/read to them etc but it should still be good if they accept me. My friend volunteered and now she works for them.

I'm sure it'll be worth you stopping the late night partying lol x

Yes that's how I see it, it will be worth it in the end.

You basically work alongside the health care assistants and can do everything up to catheter and stoma etc but that's way down the line of my portfolio of competencies I have to work through yet but should have quite a bit under my belt by when I hopefully get invited to a interview with the uni so will make Me a bit more appealing to them haha x

Yes that's how I see it, it will be worth it in the end.

You basically work alongside the health care assistants and can do everything up to catheter and stoma etc but that's way down the line of my portfolio of competencies I have to work through yet but should have quite a bit under my belt by when I hopefully get invited to a interview with the uni so will make Me a bit more appealing to them haha x

Wow that's amazing, I just didn't think they would allow volunteers to do things like that. It'll definitely make you more appealing to the uni's! X

• 4 weeks later...

Stacey, I had a whole year of Biology lectures and still struggled for it to stay in, however come to the exam and I got 80%. I don't think I would know off the top of my head but it was multiple choice and I realised some had actually gone in and I could pretty much fathom out more, even if the words couldn't come out of my mouth...

Don't let that get you down. You are not training to be a Dr you are training to be a mental health nurse or an OT. I bet right now you could beat me in a biology exam!

@jac2011 what is the nottingham uni interview like?

Just seen this!!! So sorry.

It was quite laid back, a few group type interviews! One of say 15 of us talking about a hypothetical question - stranded on an island. Then a smaller one say 5 of us where we discussed what was a good skill a nurse should have.

Stacey, I had a whole year of Biology lectures and still struggled for it to stay in, however come to the exam and I got 80%. I don't think I would know off the top of my head but it was multiple choice and I realised some had actually gone in and I could pretty much fathom out more, even if the words couldn't come out of my mouth...

Don't let that get you down. You are not training to be a Dr you are training to be a mental health nurse or an OT. I bet right now you could beat me in a biology exam!

If it was an actual test on biology I would probably be okay especially if it was multiple choice :laugh: It just seems to be assignment writing. I can't write about the body parts without it being almost the same as the source I'm reading it from, I don't understand how it's possible to change it that much so it isn't plagiarism. I tried asking my tutor tonight, she tried to help me as much as possible. I'm hoping I get the hang of it eventually, the thought of actually getting into university feels soooooooo impossible right now.

Don't worry about not replying to that old comment lol. Im rubbish at interviews! A group interview sounds even more scary but I guess everyone is in the same situation and probably scared too

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all, hope the studying is going well.

Ive just started my third and final year, very exciting. All a bit daunting - my first placement starts a week Monday. Also still trying to organise my elective placement in Australia next year. The current stumbling block is trying to get indemnity insurance at a value that Australia want. I'm with RCN at the moment who would cover me abroad for up to £3m, but Aus want at least A$10m. So i'm on th ehunt for any insurance/indemnity providers...any help more than welcome! All I am coming across is for medical students, looks like they have it a lot easier than nursing!