Any Health Care Students

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it's any use to anybody but the nhs seem to have loads of jobs right now, it's as if they are doing a recruitment drive. Mostly all in England I think but there seems to be nursing assistant, therapy assistant etc type jobs so might be useful for anybody who's doing a part time course on this thread. I didn't check the hours but just thought I'd mention it :)

The nhs fife bank is open at the moment, taking on nursing auxiliaries...they do it several times a year. Suppose other boards are the same. Good pennies if u get a shift over the weekend. I try to do one every couple of weeks!

I've just saw one in Glasgow there. Yeah my friend makes quite good money at the weekend, Double time I think. She's a nurse though, she was going to do her fourth year, is it called honours? But she's on a break for a year for a reasons and just doing some bank work

Pretty sure bloods were extended practice when I trained...might have had an education session on the theory though?? Its up to the student what they learn on placement though..if a Junior Dr is trying to cannulate, observe then ask your mentor if you can have a go too...bloods also...you have to be pushy, grab your chances. I did loads of ecg's as a student and a newly qual but never had a clue how to read them...too many bloody wires..what a faff...hated it...

The only questions I got were "what would you do if you came across a patient that wasn't breathing?" And "what would you say to a relative that phoned asking about a patient?" The rest they just asked where I had been on placment and what I enjoyed. Was very relaxed actually. Suppose each board will be different though. An obvious interest in healthcare is going to be your biggest asset

Oooh I just found a modern apprenticeship for health care worker in Glasgow. I'm going to ring up about it first thing on Monday. I saw them last year but they wanted standard grades at 1 or 2 and maths as well but this one just says four standard grades and English has to be level 1. Then there's a phone number if you need a chat about it so I'll ring them and double check about the maths etc