Any Health Care Students

How are you getting on with College applications/OT courses Stace? xx

I applied a few weeks ago, haven't heard anything. If I'm not successful then I've got another plan but I'm keeping my mouth shut for now lol, I'm sure you can prob guess anyway. I've been such a nightmare, keep changing my mind about everything xx

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is and it isn't.

Once I'm qualified I fully intend on traveling to oz with my oh before starting the visa process, as he's never been before.

With this in mind we could bring that trip forward to coincide with my placement.

That aside yes, you need a minimum of return flights (£750ish) and 6wks of day to day living (god only knows $$$).

You also need to pay for your own visa.

Accommodation is the clincher, some on my course have got free/subsidised accommodation, but it's not always possible. I did price up a 4 bed female dorm for 4weeks and was surprised it was only £550!

If its planned enough in advance don't rule it out :) x

Hmmm, It sounds complicated and expensive, but at the same time if you can manage it, it would be such an incredible experience! I hope if you want to do it, you can. Keep in touch! Let me know how you go. You will be in your final year in no time! :D x

I applied a few weeks ago, haven't heard anything. If I'm not successful then I've got another plan but I'm keeping my mouth shut for now lol, I'm sure you can prob guess anyway. I've been such a nightmare, keep changing my mind about everything xx

Fair play to you! I'm sure you will be successful. There's no reason you shouldn't be! I've got my fingers crossed. I've a rough idea what plan B might be. :-)

Hope whatever happens, you are happy. That's all that matters. xx

Hmmm, It sounds complicated and expensive, but at the same time if you can manage it, it would be such an incredible experience! I hope if you want to do it, you can. Keep in touch! Let me know how you go. You will be in your final year in no time! :D x

I'll try to get a update from the guy who's doing it this year.

I'm now in a saving up mission so looks like I'll be working all summer this year and next :)

Uni register us with AHPRA too as a student on clinical placement so we can actually practice!

Fair play to you! I'm sure you will be successful. There's no reason you shouldn't be! I've got my fingers crossed. I've a rough idea what plan B might be. :-)

Hope whatever happens, you are happy. That's all that matters. xx

Thank you, fingers crossed I'll hear something and feel more settled. If plan B happens first then it only means plan A is on hold lol till I finally get accepted. I should have a better chance of being accepted this year though, I applied as soon as the applications opened and applied for several courses. So I'll just go with the flow for now. Won't be long till you've finished yours! Xx

Uni register us with AHPRA too as a student on clinical placement so we can actually practice!

Is this your university in the UK? I'm in the process of trying to organise an elective placement in Australia, and wondering if my university were able to register me with APHRA....would be one thing less for an Aussie uni to do.....or is this just because your uni has an affiliated uni in Aus?

So many questions!

Is this your university in the UK? I'm in the process of trying to organise an elective placement in Australia, and wondering if my university were able to register me with APHRA....would be one thing less for an Aussie uni to do.....or is this just because your uni has an affiliated uni in Aus?

So many questions!

I'll try to find you the link later but I think it's on AHPRAS website.

Looking at the form it's for the uni to fill in x

We're not affiliated with a uni, but we have contacts who have practices over there and work there x

Yeah im trying. My university has today said our elective choices must be handed in on 28th Feb. So two weeks to try to get something more concrete.

I know its more than likely over a year away but my uni can't even provide me with rough dates for the elective...so how I'm meant to arrange it, who knows!

So I'm not much further forward. Charles Sturt uni in NSW and Flinders in Adelaide are the only two who have decided to help.me. Currently liaising with my (rather ill-communicating) university. It is meant to be the Aus unis that I contact but I've now emailed a few of the health boards as well as education coordinators at the hospitals. ...if I don't ask, I'll never know.

Not much else happening at uni now...for second year, I hardly have any work to do and am only in five hours a week. I'm relly glad I'm not paying tuition feea for this so called full time course, it's ridiculous. Start a community placement in a couple weeks so looking forward to that!

So I'm not much further forward. Charles Sturt uni in NSW and Flinders in Adelaide are the only two who have decided to help.me. Currently liaising with my (rather ill-communicating) university. It is meant to be the Aus unis that I contact but I've now emailed a few of the health boards as well as education coordinators at the hospitals. ...if I don't ask, I'll never know.

Not much else happening at uni now...for second year, I hardly have any work to do and am only in five hours a week. I'm relly glad I'm not paying tuition feea for this so called full time course, it's ridiculous. Start a community placement in a couple weeks so looking forward to that!

How come you've hardly any work to do? I would of thought it would be jam packed

I wish I did have work. We only have three modules this semester. 1 x placement, 1 x exam at end of may, 1 x poster presentation at end of may.

We get some small tutorial work to do, but not a lot really. I probably shouldn't moan, but I would prefer to be busy.

Its all.just giving me more time to stress about this elective!

Guest guest30085
I wish I did have work. We only have three modules this semester. 1 x placement, 1 x exam at end of may, 1 x poster presentation at end of may.

We get some small tutorial work to do, but not a lot really. I probably shouldn't moan, but I would prefer to be busy.

Its all.just giving me more time to stress about this elective!

Is this for a nursing degree Kylie? I thought you would be inundated with coursework etc, although I understand that the placements take up a lot of time so maybe replace some of the work compared to a more theoretical degree. Well maybe enjoy the slower pace whilst you can :)

I have a mock anatomy exam next Monday: 50 multiple choice images of nerves, veins, arteries, tendons, ligaments, muscles, bursa, fascia cartilage and bony prominences to identify and occasionally it will ask their function, just for good measure!!!

Need over 80% to keep my grade average up... averaging 65% so far :nah:.

Oh my god!

I got 100% in my mock exam!

Real one in 2 weeks so better not stop revising yet!

Thanks. Also got interview to volunteer at local hospital next month and got a contact at our local Dougie Mac as would like to volunteer there too because I am really interested in palliative care.... something will have to give though because I go back to work in march after maternity leave for 3 days a week and 2 evening at college for access with two kids a husband (which is the most hard work haha) dog and a house to run!! Phew I am going to be chocca! X

Archived