Things you would take back with you! Cheaper in Oz..

jen85

This is a post for all to post the things they think are worth taking back with them to the UK, things that aren't necessarily available or of a good quality.

Me personally I would say, fleecy track pants for lounging around in :arghh: I could never find a decent pair in the uk! Also, flannelette sheets again seemed to be few and far between, the best in winter!!

Guest aussielandscaper

Probably not too much but I have been out of the loop for a few years now. Maybe a decent Hills hoist as the ones you get here are pretty crap. Years ago I would have said a big fridge freezer but they are common and cheap here now.

Be careful with sheets - Aussie beds arent the same size as UK ones.

Lucas pawpaw ointment is a usual bring over as are Kleenex pocket size wet loo sheets. My husband has a few clothing preferences - like shorts from Henry Bucks. But generally there isnt much that I want or need from Aus.

Petrol - much cheaper in Australia.

Tell me about it! It used to cost me 60 pound to fill my tank back in 2011 (mad, considering I had a mini not even a 4x4) no doubt it has got higher since then!

Security screen doors - searched high and low in the UK for a security screen door for my house in England. Eventually found somewhere in Scotland that would do it for me but I just couldn't afford what they were charging.

All I wanted to do was to be able to sit in my house on a nice summer's day and have the door open and still feel reasonably safe, I would have thought that it would be a booming business in the UK.

Security screen doors - searched high and low in the UK for a security screen door for my house in England. Eventually found somewhere in Scotland that would do it for me but I just couldn't afford what they were charging.

All I wanted to do was to be able to sit in my house on a nice summer's day and have the door open and still feel reasonably safe, I would have thought that it would be a booming business in the UK.

Why's that then..?

Only green fat stuffed lovely Antipasto soaked Yumptious Tasty heavenlike and Glorious only to be found in OZ ,the only ones in the World that taste as Good......Yes,you've guessed it !Of Course,it was never in doubt, the unique.......:SLEEP::SLEEP::SLEEP:

Fly screens not a fan of wasps coming in the windows. Block out curtains for the summer not for the heat for the light in the mornings.

Wide footpaths so that my Mum would not be housebound as she uses a walker

I don't think fly screens would be worth it. Most summers I only ever got a couple of wasps in the house at most. Even the last few summers I never saw a wasp near our house in Cornwall. It was glorious having all the windows and doors open with no insects apart from the occasional, and I mean occasional, fly. Here we rent and there are no fly screens in the entire house apart from the screen on the front door and we seem to cope ok most of the time.

When we eventually leave we will be taking some underground miners belts for when we go exploring again in Cornwall. Padded and comfy here! And we'll probably take our swag back but it would probably only get used camping on the beach. Don't think the swag would get on as well with wet soil or grass.

TimTams for sure..... i miss them. . XXXX beer.. little creatures beer....petrol.... I would also like to bring back politeness to the uk,the aussys seem to have that by the boat load.

Not sure about that...I've come across more rudeness than ever since returning here than 2 years ago or maybe they were always like that and I just notice it more now after being in the countryside of England!

I think the people working in the shops are more polite in Australia. In general, though, probably similar. Depends on the area, too.

I've found them to have very poor customer service, I blame it on 21 years of growth.. If you don't buy it someone else will attitude.. Times are changing so it will be interesting .

How about canvas bags (for supermarkets)? Can you get them in as many places as you can here in Aus? Last time I was there you could only get those plastic "bags for life" and the ones they do here are much nicer. Coles are now doing some really quite pretty ones too.

Be careful with sheets - Aussie beds arent the same size as UK ones.

Lucas pawpaw ointment is a usual bring over as are Kleenex pocket size wet loo sheets. My husband has a few clothing preferences - like shorts from Henry Bucks. But generally there isnt much that I want or need from Aus.

Odd you say that as I say that Aussie beds are not the same as the UK -BUT we have a friend who works for Sheridan (sheets etc ) and he swears down that they are the same

I would say sport.

I got a general admin season ticket to the Brisbane Lions for $180. I could probably only watch 3 coventry city games at that price. Much more pleasant atmospher at the AFL too

Archived