Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone have an idea how long APHRA are taking from initial application date to reply / 1st round of feedback?

We're just trying to get a rough ballpark idea of how long it might take to hear anything.

i applied to aphra beginning of march, i received approval 4th july and degree trained hope this helps x

@tinaisrar did you apply to Ahpra having already applied to Anmac?

My wife has applied to Anmac 13 weeks ago, and they are supposed to send info on to Ahpra. Just wondering if that might help speed things up a little?

Ps - sounds like you are most of te way there now

It does depend on whether your wife is diploma or degree trained, degree will go through quickly. As AHPRA have changed criteria! But diploma nurses, even with ANMAC. have been waiting since last October. I have been waiting since January.

Hope this helps

She has done 2 different degrees. A general nursing degree (1996) and a community nursing degree (2002). The only potential problem is that the universities don't keep records after 8 years so it's not a straightforward getting adequate proof. It's for the Pharamcology stuff.

If she has a degree then tinaisrar's timeframe will be more accurate, I qualified in 1995, uni had all my transcripts, but sadly only with a diploma, many diploma nurses are being refused! If you look at the what's happening at AHPRA' you'll find lots of info about people's experience of AHPRA.

Good luck

Hi, just found this forum : )

Just wondering if anyone can help, I graduate in my nursing degree next August. I've read different timescales on how much experience I need here in uk before applying in oz. Does anyone know if there is a minimum? We are planning to come over through my hubby's job but I don't want to get there & find out I am unemployable with no uk experience. Tia

yes anmac was done first it took 16 weeks. i applied to aphra 5 months after. i then emailed anmac to send documents of to aphra which they do every friday if requested. i then forwarded outstanding documents to aphra there was no delay in documents or problems with them. only issue was the new criteria. I forwarded the letter and email regarding the criteria which i received from aphra direct to verifications at nmc and uni, they completed letter templates and sent within a week. that was only delay along with being involved in the overall delay which seems to involve diploma nurses only

i think it depends on type of visa your going on. if a state sponsor one each state requires minimum experience average is 2-3 years.if your going as a newly qualified with minimum experience i think you may find it tougher due to alot of new graduates educated there will obviously take priority on graduate schemes. Obviously on a permanent visa its a case of try your luck against more experienced nurses but at end of the day there is jobsjust you need to search for them, there not in abundance though.What i keep getting told is you should have no problem when out there,but will see. goodluckx

I was chatting to a newish EEN yesterday at work (Gold Coast so part if QLD) and she said its really difficult getting employment until you have at least a year experience so shes doing lots of nursing home work. However i know GP practices offer jobs fir newly qualified as oart if a soonsorship with QKD health if thats something you'd be interested in

I was chatting to a newish EEN yesterday at work (Gold Coast so part if QLD) and she said its really difficult getting employment until you have at least a year experience so shes doing lots of nursing home work. However i know GP practices offer jobs fir newly qualified as oart if a soonsorship with QKD health if thats something you'd be interested in

Hiya, can you give me more info on the GP practice jobs please?? :) xx

Hi all - A nurses thread is an excellent idea - condenses everything up!! However, I think that the main problems faced by nurses and midwives is actually getting registration from AHRA who have made it rather ridiculous and are asking for some strange documentation to cover the 1-8 criteria ( page 4 of the AGOS-40) I would be happy to compare interpretation of what they want with anyone ..... as I feel there HAS to be an easier way of meeting criteria 2, 3, 5, 6, 8 ... I mean getting your University to send off a hand book or syllabus is a nightmare Ooooh I wont go on ...will await some response :)

Hi all - A nurses thread is an excellent idea - condenses everything up!! However, I think that the main problems faced by nurses and midwives is actually getting registration from AHRA who have made it rather ridiculous and are asking for some strange documentation to cover the 1-8 criteria ( page 4 of the AGOS-40) I would be happy to compare interpretation of what they want with anyone ..... as I feel there HAS to be an easier way of meeting criteria 2, 3, 5, 6, 8 ... I mean getting your University to send off a hand book or syllabus is a nightmare Ooooh I wont go on ...will await some response :)

Hi There,

You might want to look at the thread 'what's happening with APHRA' (yes, spelt wrong) before you proceed any further. As getting this info together is just the start of the nightmare!

Best wishes.

Hey you guys :) i'm new to the forum!

I read through some of the pages but not all so apologies if this has been answered!

How did you get your jobs in aus? Looked online? Agency? Has anyone dealt with Healthcare Elite?

Thanks,

Arby

@LouiseandMark

There isn't a set time. We have been in this process for 7 months now. If you haven't already done so, I'd decide which way to go (through your skillset or your husband's). Whoever is the main applicant will need to do an IELTS test and get a good score. If you look back through this thread you'll find all the right info.

If it's on your nursing stuff you'll need:

IELTS

Anmac skills assessed (4 months + turnaround)

Aphra ( currently a bit complicated, and taking longer - see other thread - search aphra and ahrpa some spellings incorrect)

EOI

Migration agent not necessary, we couldn't really afford one. But it'll probably be easier if you do get a (good) one.

I'd say turnaround is about a year (or more). Maybe less if you're lucky and get no problems. Now is a good time to start as the annual quota was reset in july

• 2 weeks later...

Hi lads, firstly sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place. Totally new to the thread, being reading a few bits and finding it a bit overwhelming as it it. Secondly I know the site is pre-dominantly for UK people [from what I can work out] but I've seen a few threads by Irish, so hoping someone can help anyway. First off I'm due to start my 4th and final year of adult general nursing in Sept and planning to head to Aus for a year after I qualify [possibly after pre-reg if I'm offered it just for the experience but anyway] planned to go on a working holiday visa. I have some family over there and would like to do a bit of travelling around the place blah blah. However unsure of whether I should go and work nursing agency instead or just generally work.

I've seen a few threads on here about how nursing isn't all it's cracked up to be, compared to home but they were talking about the NHS and there's people going to england from Ireland at the minute. As it stands the prospects in Ireland are as low as it gets, with generally crap conditions. Just wondering how different it is in Aus. Are the conditions better? Much different in wages? [taking cost of living into account] Is there much work going?

Just wondering if it's worth going through the palava with AHPRA to register if it's not really worth it. I mean I'd love the experience but anyway. I'm just feeling pretty overwhelmed with knowing where to start with this, so sorry about all the rambling and the overly long post

Thanks!

Hi lads, firstly sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place. Totally new to the thread, being reading a few bits and finding it a bit overwhelming as it it. Secondly I know the site is pre-dominantly for UK people [from what I can work out] but I've seen a few threads by Irish, so hoping someone can help anyway. First off I'm due to start my 4th and final year of adult general nursing in Sept and planning to head to Aus for a year after I qualify [possibly after pre-reg if I'm offered it just for the experience but anyway] planned to go on a working holiday visa. I have some family over there and would like to do a bit of travelling around the place blah blah. However unsure of whether I should go and work nursing agency instead or just generally work.

I've seen a few threads on here about how nursing isn't all it's cracked up to be, compared to home but they were talking about the NHS and there's people going to england from Ireland at the minute. As it stands the prospects in Ireland are as low as it gets, with generally crap conditions. Just wondering how different it is in Aus. Are the conditions better? Much different in wages? [taking cost of living into account] Is there much work going?

Just wondering if it's worth going through the palava with AHPRA to register if it's not really worth it. I mean I'd love the experience but anyway. I'm just feeling pretty overwhelmed with knowing where to start with this, so sorry about all the rambling and the overly long post

Thanks!

Also meant to add, have tried looking for a thread that might have all the answers for this and couldn't find it(the search on here is a bit crazy you search one thing and everything comes up!) but if there is a post already like this with answers please feel free to give me the link and send me on my merry way :)

189 PR visa vs 190 PR visa

My wife has done IELTS (twice) and had a positive skills assessment from Anmac. We have also sent everything off for Ahpra (he is degree trained), so we were thinking of doing our EOI this week.

Can anyone shed any light on the pros and cons of the 189 and 190 visas?

We are probably going to Sydney - and have 65 points without state sponsorship.

Any useful info or points would be much appreciated.

Archived