Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Hi guys, I've just joined the forum to find out information on job opportunities in brisbane for the duchess, a newly qualified children's nurse and myself a plasterer of 8 years. Is work in abundance here? Also could we have some info on what brisbanes like as a city for lifestyle? We've read books but people's opinion who live there already is the best you can have! I play rugby and the missus is part of the rowing club back here in Bristol so we're quite outgoing! Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks Joe and Carrie

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi guys, I've just joined the forum to find out information on job opportunities in brisbane for the duchess, a newly qualified children's nurse and myself a plasterer of 8 years. Is work in abundance here? Also could we have some info on what brisbanes like as a city for lifestyle? We've read books but people's opinion who live there already is the best you can have! I play rugby and the missus is part of the rowing club back here in Bristol so we're quite outgoing! Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks Joe and Carrie

Brand new children's hospital in Brisbane. Others will be able to comment on work & employment opportunities better than I can. Of the major cities, Brisbane is one of the nicest in my opinion.

I have just noticed that you posted 10 days ago, and no one else has been able to respond on work opportunities. I suggest you contact the hospital directly. See: http://www.health.qld.gov.au/childrenshospital/

See: http://www.health.qld.gov.au/employment/work-for-us/clinical/nursing-midwifery/default.asp

Hi,

I just want to say to those saying if you are degree qualified it is a breeze to become registered that it is not the case.

I am degree qualified and my registration has been processing since April. I have been in Sydney for 4 months without work.

My advice for anyone applying, make sure you do it 6 months before you plan to move.

hi, does anyone the easiest way to find job in Melbourne. I have been applying for 1 month without success. :(

Are you in Melbourne, or applying from the UK? What clinical area are you interested in? What post-graduate qualification do you have in your specialty? Also, where abouts in Melbourne are you interested in working?

Hi can someone help me out with order of application process? I am degree trained childrens nurse with 12months neonatal experience. I am sure there was a post with all this info but i can't seem to find it now any help much appreciated thanks

Hi, it will depend on whether you are planning to apply for a permanent or temporary visa. I went the permanent route & did it this way-

1. Sit IELTS

2. ANMAC for skills assessment (which needed IELTS result)

3. Apply for 189 PR visa ( needed ANMAC assessment for this)

4. Apply AHPRA for registration

Good luck with the process. If you carefully read the websites they do have all the info you need so that you can do it without a migration agent. Looking at posts AHPRA seem to have speeded up a bit but they seem to cause people the biggest problem.

Hi AshleneLouise,

I recently gained registration in March. Yes, I did send in a Certificate of Employment from my current as well as all my previous employers. In additional, APHRA requested for employment references from all the hospital I have worked with. Good luck with the application!

Was this recently in some other posts people are saying 6-9months xx

It really depends if extra documents are needed. If the application is complete, it can be fast. Mine took 4 months and that was because i couldn't find time to fly to Melbourne to confirm my identity after I received the LOE.

Hi there,

I am a UK Diploma trained nurse ( a 3 year university course ) and I was assessed by ANMAC as having equivalent to a degree. But, I am still waiting for a decision from AHPRA since February this year.

Has anyone, who has a nursing Diploma, recently succesfully registered with AHPRA please? As I am starting to get very worried.

Thanks

Hi,

I gained registration in March after exchanging numerous emails with my case officer as well as mailing off tons of document. I am now good friend with the paralegal of the law firm that did certification for my document. I am a Diploma nurse with an advance Dip in critical care. I grad in 1999 and did my adv dip in 2003. Don't give up. Maintain a constant flow of communication with your case officer. They can be rather resourceful!

Hi guys

Finally getting registered after over a year and have my first job interview in a couple of weeks. As I've not practised for over a year I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers for the interview/ areas I need to swat up on? I'm an RMN and the post is for a private Psychiatric hospital.

TIA - Lorna.

Hi guys

Finally getting registered after over a year and have my first job interview in a couple of weeks. As I've not practised for over a year I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers for the interview/ areas I need to swat up on? I'm an RMN and the post is for a private Psychiatric hospital.

TIA - Lorna.

This a very public hospital response. Made even more specific from my NP perspective of ED mental health. It is very worthwhile being conversant with the state/territory mental health Act for the jurisdiction in which you intend to practice. With particular attention to the local obligatory management components of the Act ("orders") . They are significantly different between states. All Acts and associated regulations are full text online and free. Your state health department is likely to have a section on their website about "orders" as well.

I would also suggest exploring what local mental health facilities are around, and how clients are likely to be referred to a private service.

A working knowledge of Australian differences in mental health prescribing would be useful. Many medicines are the same, but Australia generally has a smaller pharmacopoeia. The psychiatric Therapeutic Guidelines will help with this, if you can get to a local hospital health sciences libray.

Others who work exclusively in MH may be able to give you a more private psych perspective.

Got AHPRA reg yesterday, I am diploma HE trained with a degree. So those with diploma HE can still be registered if they have a degree. My bsc honours is in dementia studies..so doesn't have nursing in the title. Hope this helps those looking into doing extra modules.

I am still in UK, I am now looking for a job. I am mental health trained. Any ideas on how to start looking for jobs. I am comming on 189 visa.

Thanks

Please help, I need some advice on writing OZ, CV. I have always applied for jobs on NHS jobs, so didn't write CV as such. I have put together one with 16 pages. Is this too long?

Having interviewed more than 200 nurses, and read many more CV's, here are my opinions on Australian nursing CV's.

There are many different types of CV. The choice of style and content depends on what job is being pursued and the personality of the applicant. If you are applying amongst a batch of dozens or more, learn to write your own well. The manufactured versions from CV writers whilst easy to read, fade into all of the others.

Name, address, telephone number and email address only. Do not use that email adress you thought was clever when you were 15. There are many free email address options. It should only be your name, e.g. john.smith@abc.com.au. It is no longer appropriate to state age, marital situation or similar.

Only include schooling if this is your first ever position after leaving uni'.

As a rule anything more than 5 years ago (unless you have been out of the workforce for a while, e.g. raising children) should have little or no detail. Less than 5 years ago should be limited to <10 lines.

Hobbies & voluntary work should be only be included if highly relevant to the position.

Many positions offer an option to write from 300-2000 words as an addendum to the application. Take it. Stick to the word limit. It must be well structured, grammatically perfect and absolutely no spelling errors. This is how you sell yourself.

I could write a lot more. But time is short. I would recommend reading several books on how to write CV's. And "What Colour is your Parachute" is very good. Try to get this years edition.

Hi guys, was wondering if any of you could clarify something for me?

I'm currently registered with Ahpra and practicing in Oz on a 457 visa, been looking at applying for a 189 visa.

According to Anmac I only have to do the modified skills assessment as I'm already registered with Ahpra therefore I don't have to do Ilets test for skills assessment.

However, I do need to do Ilets for visa points, can I just do the general ilets for this or does it have to be the academic one as that is what I would usually need from anmac?

any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Hi guys. It's a case of don't hold your breath for those waiting. I moved to oz with my husband as a permanent resident in June. I started my application with Ahpra in April. Two case officers and weekly calls to Ahpra later. I have been told today there is a 19,000 backlog and applications have been put on hold. I have a UK masters qual in nursing. A diploma and degree. They have told me I'm one of the lucky ones as my application is at least moving but they have been assessing my quals since October and I've been told it's going to be at least in the new year for this to be done IF they have someone available to do it. Soooo frustrating. Well, at least the sun is shining here in Sydney ☀️

• 3 weeks later...

Im coming to the time where I need to decide to register after three years at uni with BSc nursing degree....or stay for 4th year, to gain Honours.

Now it doesn't really get you anything extra at home in UK, certainly, very few of the universities even offer the fourth year. But do you think it would be worthwhile me doing, ahpra-wise???

Im coming to the time where I need to decide to register after three years at uni with BSc nursing degree....or stay for 4th year, to gain Honours.

Now it doesn't really get you anything extra at home in UK, certainly, very few of the universities even offer the fourth year. But do you think it would be worthwhile me doing, ahpra-wise???

I can't see that it would make AHPRA any more more likely to register you. AHPRA's role is to protect the public, it has nothing to do with professionalising nursing. But it may negatively impact on your work experience if you would work part-time to undertake an Hons degree. That being said, it is often a good path to a higher degree, if that is ultimately your goal.

Thanks for the reply. All the way through the course, I have been adament that I am not doing the fourth year, as it's not required for a Masters, if I decide to do one. It's just been playing on my mind, what with all the diploma/degree problems.

I have Honours in another subject, so it really doesn't affect me not completing it....think I'm just starting to question everything as the end of the course approaches!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all

I'm a Paediatric Nurse who is just about to start the ANMAC assessment and was wondering if anyone knows what the job situation for Children's Nurses is in QLD at the moment? Me and the OH are very keen to move to the Brisbane area on a PR visa

Any help much appreciated :)

Carrie

Archived