Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Does anyone have any rough idea of turnaround times for Ahpra registration for UK degree trained nurses? We don't expect to get any problems here per se, as my wife has 2 degrees, but I gather this is still taking a long time (and can involve jumping through hoops and nagging)

We sent ours off mid- July, and were asked for a couple of extra bits of ID on the 24th July.

any tips or advice appreciated

I applied at the end of Feb & received LOE in July.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's great news, congratulations. Any idea where you're going to move to in Oz? Mine arrived today as well, I even checked the online register on the ahpra site in case it was a spoof. Seems things are moving for those with top up degrees at least

Please help!! I am a diploma trained nurse with a top up degree, I did not do any pharmacology when I did the top up degree, it was in psycho-social interventions. I would like to study a pharmacology module at level 6, BSC equivalent in Uk -advised by AHPRA. Does anyone know any university offering this as a stand alone module post qualifying ? Napier University do this module online but you have to be in a classroom for the final exam. This is too far for me to travel from Southern England to Glasgow. I really don't want to give up on this yet.

Thanks...

Please help!! I am a diploma trained nurse with a top up degree, I did not do any pharmacology when I did the top up degree, it was in psycho-social interventions. I would like to study a pharmacology module at level 6, BSC equivalent in Uk -advised by AHPRA. Does anyone know any university offering this as a stand alone module post qualifying ? Napier University do this module online but you have to be in a classroom for the final exam. This is too far for me to travel from Southern England to Glasgow. I really don't want to give up on this yet.

Thanks...

I'd really like to know the answer to this as am in the same position. I qualified with the Advanced Diploma and have just finished topping up, but nothing remotely linked to pharmacology in the modules I've completed! For every hurdle jumped, another two seem to appear!

My husband has just qualified with a BSc in adult nursing....he is really worried about the Ahpra process as they only did a 3 hour lecture in Year 2 on pharmacology/pharmacodynamics and another 3 hour lecture in Year 3. They had no exams/essays on this. Is this consistent with those who have recently got registration with degrees or did your course consist of more time dedicated to this area?

Also we are unable to travel to Australia until Sept 2016 (this was always our intention) - is the Ahpra letter only valid for 12 months? Timing everything seems to be a nightmare!! Registration, selling the house, putting in notice at work etc! Do you need to present the letter in Australia to get your Pin number?

Thanks for any advice!!

Hi thanks for the replies. I think we are so worried Ahpra change criteria again and he can't get registration....probably worrying for nothing. We won't sell the house or put in our notices at work until we have it though. Would be good to have a timescale for Ahpra as seems to be anything from 8 weeks to 9 months even with a degree...i guess if we want to arrive Sept 2016 it may be best to leave applying until July next year. Timing seems crucial!!! It would be interesting to know how long it is taking others with degrees to get through Ahpra at the moment though!

Hi paul

Read through this thread. Look at peoples 'timelines' in threads like '189 visa'

It depends what visa you need, but we have 3 kids and needed a permanent visa as that covers the kids education and healthcare. This means a 189 or 190 visa. PR (permanent resident)

Typically you need to do an academic IELTS test and score 7 on everything (for Anmac skills testing). IELTS also helps for visa points (7 for everything gives you 10 points, 8 for everything gives you 20)

You can get 7 on all on an academic IELTS (for Anmac) then do another standard IELTS for a higher score for visa points. £140 a go.

It would be

IELTS

Anmac

Ahpra

Visa expression of interest (EOI)

From here you can apply for visa

Google all those acronyms for more info or look here.

You can do all this yourself or appoint a mara agent (extra £2k!)

It's all on here. Get IELTS done asap as that needs doing 1st.

Hope this helps

Paul, I am a newly qualified hoping to arrive on a 189 visa next September (earlier would be great but realistically Sept)! I have 3 children. As Matthew said you can start your IELTS now. I am aiming for 8s as I need 20 points but for now 7s will do in this as its just for ANMAC at this stage. I sit mine on the 20th a week after I start my first job!

Next, is ANMAC but for this you need 3 months work experience. For now, just work towards these!

If you look on immi.com.au and checkout the 189 visa details there is a points calculator and cost chart.

For 5 of us, PR visa, flights, 2 months living expenses and all the associated costs we are looking at £15k! Just to warn you!

Paul, I am a newly qualified hoping to arrive on a 189 visa next September (earlier would be great but realistically Sept)! I have 3 children. As Matthew said you can start your IELTS now. I am aiming for 8s as I need 20 points but for now 7s will do in this as its just for ANMAC at this stage. I sit mine on the 20th a week after I start my first job!

Next, is ANMAC but for this you need 3 months work experience. For now, just work towards these!

If you look on immi.com.au and checkout the 189 visa details there is a points calculator and cost chart.

For 5 of us, PR visa, flights, 2 months living expenses and all the associated costs we are looking at £15k! Just to warn you!

Out of interest, what did you have in UK money as 2 Months living expenses? (We are planning on going to the Sydney area)

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know much about community nursing in The Sydney Area (blue nurses i think they are called over there)?

Any sites, links, communities, contacts or threads elsewhere would be massively appreciated, as we will need to find out how to look for work (and a place to live, and schools, all connected)

We are quite keen on living up in the Northern beaches area, but are not fixed on this as yet.

Archived