What are the WRONG reasons for immigrating to Australia?

Red Rose

One emigrates from a country and immigrates into another. I shall be emigrating from the UK and immigrating into Australia (although I'm not sure it counts as it's only for 3 years).

I'm not sure our reasons for emigrating are the RIGHT ones necessarily, but we're moving because it's what we do - I've been an expat most of my life and grew up as a 3KK. We've been in the Uk now for over 3 years and are a little bored. We're looking forward to exploring a part of the world that we have never visited and also to introducing our children to travel as a way of broadening the mind. I have no doubt that I will be horribly homesick for a while, but I'll get over it soon enough.

In my mind, the wrong reason to move away is to fix something that is broken. So to move overseas because you think it will help your relationship for example. Moving is stressful, even when you are a strong couple/family unit. Things tend to break under stress rather than harden.

Im not sure of there being a 'wrong' reason, everyone migrates for different reasons, whats wrong for one might not be for another.

We personally did come for better weather, to spend more time with the kids, to have an adventure in a place totally new and we also decided to use it as opportunity to change what we didnt like about the lifestyle we had, which in fairness was quite a cushy lifestyle.

6 years on and we haven't been disappointed we have ticked the boxes of most of our 'wish list' and although some things have been harder to achieve than others, we stuck with it and 'got there in the end'..

If migrating is something you want to do you have the chance to do it, then go for it, there is nothing to lose and all you gain is experience.

Cal x

Now that does depend,.......maybe on the ages of your kids. I'm sure I've read you've got teenagers, how are they getting on here?

we came with a 16 and 18 year old, who basically at the ,moment in the UK Didnt have much of a future, yes one was about to start college and the other uni but what was there for them after that. Here they have both landed great jobs, the youngest has more saved than i have ever had, yet still manages to buy all the latest clothes and gear. The oldest is in a position in Shire planning that would normally only be given to to a uni grad, yes it's hard work but the company looks after then, plenty going on in the social club etc.

I suppose the down side to this is we may have shot ourselves in the foot, ie what if it doesn't work out for us and we want to head back, but could we expect them now to give up such great lifestyles and job prospects just to follow us. Of course we couldn't, and that is something I never thought about.

No, i dont have children here. I have a son in the UK, but he an adult.

I am pleased your kids have done well here, but they may well have done well in the UK.

With regards Uni - i have employed a number of graduates - 6 last year alone. I am shocked at the level of undergrad teaching in Oz. Most of the grads simply would not pass second year in a half decent uni in the UK. I think it is because they do not concentrate on a single subject. That is maybe fine for arts subjects, but for sciences, it simply doesnt give them enough depth of the subject.

Youth unemployment is as bad in Oz as the UK - i suspect it is something to do with attitude of teens in both countries rather than opportunuties.

For many sectors the UK, Europe or the US are by far the best place for a new grad / person in the early stages of their career - hence why there are a huge number of Oz grads that head there.

Guest guest76088

I don't think "trying to establish a better life for your kids" can ever become wrong. It may not be realised, but it remains a laudable objective always.

​BigD

The reasons are never wrong to begin with... They only become wrong when hopes didn't work out!

I don't think "trying to establish a better life for your kids" can ever become wrong. It may not be realised, but it remains a laudable objective always.

​BigD

It's pretty much the main motivation I have for leaving Hong Kong.

Plus I want to finally be able to afford to buy my own bit of land. Practically impossible here unless I want a shoe box and be mortgages to the hilt!

To me the wrong reasons are along the lines of "I'm not appreciated here in England, they don't know how lucky they are to have me, and Britain is just too full of immigrants, so I'm going to Australia where they are pretty behind the times so they will greet me and my knowledge/money/experience with open arms (and of course an open cheque book) and I'll teach them all how things should be done. Apparently they are pretty desperate for brilliant people like me to import a bit of talent (and of course my gifted children - so I'm not just giving now, I'm giving well into the future as well) into their country, so Australia will be bloody grateful to me for doing this for them."

I'm sure no-one thinks like that though. Do they? :wink:

not a native speaker, but if I get my latin right a move from the UK to Australia is immigration if you are in Australia and emigration if you are in the UK ...

so you emigrate from the UK and immigrate into Australia

or did I got that wrong ?

No...you are right.:biggrin:

You emigrate out of a country when you leave it; you immigrate into a country when you arrive.

I love it when people say they are immigrating because they don't like 'the changing face of Britain'. How hypocritical is that? and of course the irony is that Oz is one of the most multi culturally diverse places in the world. I do laugh.

​If you are going to migrate - do it for yourself because you want to - and be upfront about it.

I once got a letter written in Luxembourgish and spent an hour with a dictionary trying to work it out (wanted to join in and be a good Luxembourgish citizen) only to find out it was a rant about 'all these foreigners coming over here (to Luxembourg) and taking our jobs etc etc. A salutary (salutory?) lesson in seeing yourselves as others see you :biggrin:

As we are all very different individuals, there are so many different reasons for wanting to migrate. The only wrong reasons that I can think of is that you are doing it to try and keep a failing relationship going, or have issues you are running away from. Both of which will travel with you, and both of which should have perhaps been sorted before you emigrated.

Archived