Perth Cheaper than London

simmo

[h=1]Cost of living in Perth (Australia) is 11% cheaper than in London (United Kingdom)[/h]

http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/comparison/london/perth

This comparison has some inconsistent or sparse data. It already provides a reliable comparison but it is not bullet-proof. It is based on 12,016 prices entered by 1,202 different people. These prices were last updated about 10 hours ago.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't much care about the cost of living in Perth or London having never lived in either and have no intention of ever living in either so I used the site to do my own. Apparently the cost of living in Adelaide is 20% more than living in Sheffield. I'm not exactly surprised.

Good site by the way. It depends a lot on people inputting information but it will only get more accurate as people put more in. I shall probably spend a few minutes or more comparing all sorts of places for the cost of living for no other reason than because I can.

I cant figure how it gets 11%. The things that are cheaper are things i would not buy very often - a flat screen TV, but the things that are more expensive are things i would use a lot.

Also, interested in the housing. Dont know the deal on appartments as only lived in one once - in Sydney, but no data on houses.

Finally, can Perth really be classed against London or New York - somewhere like Leicester or Norwich would be a fairer example.

I cant figure how it gets 11%. The things that are cheaper are things i would not buy very often - a flat screen TV, but the things that are more expensive are things i would use a lot.

Also, interested in the housing. Dont know the deal on appartments as only lived in one once - in Sydney, but no data on houses.

Finally, can Perth really be classed against London or New York - somewhere like Leicester or Norwich would be a fairer example.

I don't think they are comparing them in terms of "are they comparable places to live", I think it is more about if you live in one, how much would your bills change if you moved to the other. You can choose which cities you compare, so I could do Southampton and Perth or Poole and Perth, if I was that bothered about it.

Personally the list I found most useful was the one that SaffanZimbo (I think) posted on the Household thread a couple of weeks ago when she put a spreadsheet together of what day to day items cost on her visit to Perth versus what she pays in the UK.

I don't much care about the cost of living in Perth or London having never lived in either and have no intention of ever living in either so I used the site to do my own. Apparently the cost of living in Adelaide is 20% more than living in Sheffield. I'm not exactly surprised.

So, what is the average wage in Adelaide compared to Sheffield's average wage??

Adelaide:

City: Adelaide, South Australia Median Salary by Job

[TABLE=class: tlf f11 w600]

[TR=class: f9]

[TH=class: w220]Job[/TH]

[TH=class: w100]Salary Data (?)[/TH]

[TD=class: w81 c6]AU$0[/TD]

[TD=class: w81 c6]AU$26K[/TD]

[TD=class: w81 c6]AU$52K[/TD]

[TD=class: w37 c6]AU$78K[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=class: p9 vt]Accountant[/TH]

[TD=class: p9 lb tr pr10 vm]AU$50,356[/TD]

[TD=class: lb pr][/TD]

[TD=class: lb][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=class: p9 vt]Operations Manager[/TH]

[TD=class: p9 lb tr pr10 vm]AU$77,631[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=class: p9 vt]Executive Assistant[/TH]

[TD=class: p9 lb tr pr10 vm]AU$59,292[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=class: p9 vt]Retail Store Manager[/TH]

[TD=class: p9 lb tr pr10 vm]AU$43,196[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=class: p9 vt]Office Manager[/TH]

[TD=class: p9 lb tr pr10 vm]AU$49,919[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=class: p9 vt]Software Engineer[/TH]

[TD=class: p9 lb tr pr10 vm]AU$58,635[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=class: p9 vt]Mechanical Engineer[/TH]

[TD=class: p9 lb tr pr10 vm]AU$63,633[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Average =$57,523 = £37,390

Sheffield:

City: Sheffield, England: South Yorkshire Median Salary by Job

[TABLE=class: tlf f11 w600]

[TR=class: f9]

[TH=class: w220]Job[/TH]

[TH=class: w100]Salary Data (?)[/TH]

[TD=class: w81 c6]£0[/TD]

[TD=class: w81 c6]£13K[/TD]

[TD=class: w81 c6]£26K[/TD]

[TD=class: w37 c6]£39K[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=class: p9 vt]Operations Manager[/TH]

[TD=class: p9 lb tr pr10 vm]£35,875[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=class: p9 vt]Office Administrator[/TH]

[TD=class: p9 lb tr pr10 vm]£15,021[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=class: p9 vt]Software Developer[/TH]

[TD=class: p9 lb tr pr10 vm]£26,000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=class: p9 vt]Project Manager, Information Technology (IT)[/TH]

[TD=class: p9 lb tr pr10 vm]£38,863[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=class: p9 vt]Accounts Assistant[/TH]

[TD=class: p9 lb tr pr10 vm]£14,836[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=class: p9 vt]Information Technology (IT) Manager[/TH]

[TD=class: p9 lb tr pr10 vm]£28,377[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=class: p9 vt]Design Engineer[/TH]

[TD=class: p9 lb tr pr10 vm]£23,984[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Average =£26,136 = $40,209

Cheers, Bobj.

Last time I was in Leicester or Norwich neither of them had brilliant beaches on the doorstep, a wine region half hours drive away and great weather to go along with it. Neither did London or New York come to that.:cool:

Last time I was in Leicester or Norwich neither of them had brilliant beaches on the doorstep, a wine region half hours drive away and great weather to go along with it. Neither did London or New York come to that.:cool:

And last time I was in them neither of them had super rip off prices on everything ..

And last time I was in them neither of them had super rip off prices on everything ..

This is a thread which is pointing out that Perth is maybe not the rip off that some people are led to believe. Who would have thought it's 11% cheaper than London?

London's wine region and beaches are about an hour away.

This is a thread which is pointing out that Perth is maybe not the rip off that some people are led to believe. Who would have thought it's 11% cheaper than London?
i

I lived in London for 30 years and perth for 2. I can tell you a million percent London is cheaper than perth by a long shot. If you compare perth to Kensington you may have a point .

Oh, and Leicester has some parks - i dont mean them things in Perth that they call parks, that remind me of the "greens" that have in 70's council estates, but real parks - big enough to spend an afternoon. Other than Kings Park, Perth doesnt have parks

i

I lived in London for 30 years and perth for 2. I can tell you a million percent London is cheaper than perth by a long shot. If you compare perth to Kensington you may have a point .

And Perth is no Kensington closer to Kalgoorlie in class than central London

UK wines are top quality and making a name for themselves. Bad year last year, but generally they are very good. They teach the art at Plumpton college, not far from where I live.

And cheaper to get to, offers better produce and the option of going a bit further and wandering around Paris.

I'm off to Leicester next week. Not sure if I'd want to live there, but there are so many attractions to see and do. Fantastic place to visit. Perth could learn a lot from Leicester.

Oh, and Leicester has some parks - i dont mean them things in Perth that they call parks, that remind me of the "greens" that have in 70's council estates, but real parks - big enough to spend an afternoon. Other than Kings Park, Perth doesnt have parks

Oh, and Norfolk has some excellent beaches.

They aren't exactly 15 mins away though are they. Even when you get there, if the weathers half decent, maybe a couple of times a year you might actually think about going in the water. That's if you can find somewhere to park as half of London has decided to go there too as the suns out.

Not sure about the wine but brightons less than an hour away. And what a great place it is. Back to wine I'll just pop in to tesco,asda or any off licence within 5 minutes and buy a bottle at half the cost you pay in the swan valley .

Where's that then?

Kent and Surrey have vineyards producing some excellent wines. The chalky soils of kent produce some excellent sparkling whites, in fact the seem of chalk is the same seem that runs over to France and feeds the vinyards of the champagne region.

i

I don't need to. Some kind person who sorts out surveys has done it for me. I guess they must be wrong though, I'm sure you know better.

Archived