Perth Cheaper than London

simmo

Whats with the *** for tat on Perth? What relevance when this a thread about cost of living? Why are valid points about lifestyle highlights in Perth being picked apart? Big parks in Perth..Whiteman, Yanchep National, John Forrest National, loads more. In addition to world class beaches, river and boating lifestyles, wine regions, rural bushland regions. What's with all the hate? I don't get it?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brighton is the whole package. I admit the last time I was there in 10, I declined to enter the sea as there was a scum on the surface close to the shoreline. It wasn't present a few weeks earlier though and did swim on that occasion.

The city just has a nice open vibe with plenty to do outside of the beach. KempTown, The Lanes, easy to get around. Not great driving in summer but who needs a car just hop on the train from London or coach and there.

I always thought brighton was supposed to be one of those slightly boring places where all the old people flock to in the summer. Im probably getting mixed up with somewhere else.

Brighton uni has the degree i want, might be worth looking there too

Guest chris955

To be fair it is no different to the stuff we se about London or Glasgow or Sydney or wherever. Everywhere has lots of things to recommend it but nowhere suits everyone so you get polarised views.

Whats with the *** for tat on Perth? What relevance when this a thread about cost of living? Why are valid points about lifestyle highlights in Perth being picked apart? Big parks in Perth..Whiteman, Yanchep National, John Forrest National, loads more. In addition to world class beaches, river and boating lifestyles, wine regions, rural bushland regions. What's with all the hate? I don't get it?

I always thought brighton was supposed to be one of those slightly boring places where all the old people flock to in the summer. Im probably getting mixed up with somewhere else.

Nah. Brighton is full of life. Lots of European language students, the biggest concentration of gays outside of London which adds to the vibe.

Well known as a place for a dirty weekend for Londoners. Some top notch eating places,pubs and a young if anything vibe. Still room for everybody.

You really must travel a bit. Where you would be correct with regards to retired folk would be more Chamber Sands,Bexhill on Sea, Bognor Regis, as far as Sussex go. Brighton is cool if sometimes a little too high opinion of itself perhaps.

Probably why I might go for Eastbourne or even Shoreham both very close but at a lower price tag. Unlikely to happen but there were thoughts at one time.

Sussex Uni had a reputation as being rather radical in the days when youth were so inclined to be political. Still be a good uni to study I'd imagine. Go for it.

To be fair it is no different to the stuff we se about London or Glasgow or Sydney or wherever. Everywhere has lots of things to recommend it but nowhere suits everyone so you get polarised views.

That's not really what I meant. When one poster points out a positive another poster feels the need to criticise it and point out the same is available in the UK? In a slightly my dads better than your Dad style. Why is that?

Nah. Brighton is full of life. Lots of European language students, the biggest concentration of gays outside of London which adds to the vibe.

Well known as a place for a dirty weekend for Londoners. Some top notch eating places,pubs and a young if anything vibe. Still room for everybody.

You really must travel a bit. Where you would be correct with regards to retired folk would be more Chamber Sands,Bexhill on Sea, Bognor Regis, as far as Sussex go. Brighton is cool if sometimes a little too high opinion of itself perhaps.

Probably why I might go for Eastbourne or even Shoreham both very close but at a lower price tag. Unlikely to happen but there were thoughts at one time.

Sussex Uni had a reputation as being rather radical in the days when youth were so inclined to be political. Still be a good uni to study I'd imagine. Go for it.

I know, need to do a tour of the UK! I like places right beside the seaside so would probably quite like it

Guest chris955
That's not really what I meant. When one poster points out a positive another poster feels the need to criticise it and point out the same is available in the UK? In a slightly my dads better than your Dad style. Why is that?

A lot of that is SOMETIMES it is put in such a way as to seem as though it is unique to that place so rightly it is pointed out that isnt the case. Both sides are passionate.

Guest chris955
It strikes me as a bit spiteful and juvenile as opposed to passionate.

​Yes it can seem like that at times.

How many times would you care to visit Whiteman for example? A lot of these other big parks you mention are fine in themselves but much of a muchness.

I'd hazard a guess that not a lot use the river for the population. I lived beside the river for years and only used it to learn windsurfing. Never swimming. Beaches are fine and we do use them but don't think anyone we know do so. Although know folk that use swimming pools in preference to the sea.

You can't beat a sunsey picnic at Cottosle Beach though........and some nice spots by the river.

Not sure about the hate but a predictable sort of sameness with only so many options can grate on certain folk.

You could argue the toss about any park in any country. What's there? Grass, trees, plants and areas to relax. Boring. Beaches, sun and sand, the odd palm tree or rock. Boring. Shopping centres, just loads of different retail outlets! Boring. A river? What's the use, boat in it? Boring. Swim in it? Boring. You see what I mean?

Guest chris955

In a way you have answered your own question, all those places become boring after awhile wherever they are BUT each SIDE will see theirs as superior. Perth is the marmite of Australian cities, you love it or hate it.

You could argue the toss about any park in any country. What's there? Grass, trees, plants and areas to relax. Boring. Beaches, sun and sand, the odd palm tree or rock. Boring. Shopping centres, just loads of different retail outlets! Boring. A river? What's the use, boat in it? Boring. Swim in it? Boring. You see what I mean?

What do you mean each 'side'? I'm getting the impression there's some division here? That's what I don't quite understand. Do we not just appreciate the beauty of both? You can hardly compare the 2 in my.opinion as they offer such different lifestyles.

How many times would you care to visit Whiteman for example? A lot of these other big parks you mention are fine in themselves but much of a muchness.

I'd hazard a guess that not a lot use the river for the population. I lived beside the river for years and only used it to learn windsurfing. Never swimming. Beaches are fine and we do use them but don't think anyone we know do so. Although know folk that use swimming pools in preference to the sea.

You can't beat a sunsey picnic at Cottosle Beach though........and some nice spots by the river.

Not sure about the hate but a predictable sort of sameness with only so many options can grate on certain folk.

Swimming pools don't have sharks :biggrin:

Guest chris955

You have probably read enough threads and posts to see there are sides, Im not saying you or anyone has to choose sides. I like both countries but prefer here, its not a big deal.

My comments werent in reference to you, I was merely pointing out what happens when 2 places are compared.

I live in Perth but I don't see myself as being on anyone's 'side'. I just live here and like it. I liked England too. But I don't live there anymore. That doesn't mean I feel the need to slate its shortfalls at every opportunity.

I think I drove past you this morning. I saw 2 people ski-paddling in the sea NOR. Looked like a lovely morning but too cold for me to go in the water. I'm a wimp, 1st class!

Could have been. Was a lovely morning, as soon as you start paddling you don't feel the cold, even with just a normal rashie on.

If you're gay I bet it does.

I was working in Brighton when pipeline testing. We used to live pretty rough, most of the time in caravans on sites. I couldn't be bothered to have a shave so had a beard, long hair and looked pretty rough. We were staying in a guest house run by a couple of gays. The first morning one of the guys is serving breakfast and asks the other 3 guys I was with "one egg or 2" didn't bother asking me.

Breakfasts came out and mine has 2 eggs on. Guy puts his hand on my shoulder and just says, "I've given you 2 eggs, I thought you looked like a 2 egg man" and minces off into the kitchen. The other blokes thought it was hilarious.

In a way you have answered your own question, all those places become boring after awhile wherever they are BUT each SIDE will see theirs as superior. Perth is the marmite of Australian cities, you love it or hate it.

I think the point is when people go on about the UK being close to Europe and you can go to Rome, Paris, London. Or that London has shows, art galleries, museums. You could get someone who finds all that "boring" too.

Guest chris955
I think the point is when people go on about the UK being close to Europe and you can go to Rome, Paris, London. Or that London has shows, art galleries, museums. You could get someone who finds all that "boring" too.

​Which is what I was saying in the post you quoted.

Could have been. Was a lovely morning, as soon as you start paddling you don't feel the cold, even with just a normal rashie on.

I used to love watching people out early on the water. It's what's underneath, ready to nibble your toes that worries me - I even hate seaweed! I'm envious of people who don't worry about such things and can just enjoy being out there, but it's the chlorine filled swimming pools for me, and even then it has to be over 30 degrees for me to go in! :wink:

Nope, that's Bournemouth, Brighton is fantastic - one of the few places outside of Scotland/North of England I'd consider living. I haven't been for a while...almost an old person now but last time we went we were so nervous about going clubbing as the reputation was unless you were in cutting edge fashion you'd be turned away - no reason given!

It would be an amazing place to be a student - expensive though, especially as the fees are much more at English universities.

Nope, that's Bournemouth, Brighton is fantastic - one of the few places outside of Scotland/North of England I'd consider living. I haven't been for a while...almost an old person now but last time we went we were so nervous about going clubbing as the reputation was unless you were in cutting edge fashion you'd be turned away - no reason given!

It would be an amazing place to be a student - expensive though, especially as the fees are much more at English universities.

Unless things change then i wont pay fees because its through the NHS, thats what i read anyway, hopefully i havent got the wrong end of the stick.

If that fashion thing is true then i'd never get in anywhere lol

Hold it right there, I met my missus in Bournemouth when we were on holiday there. The beach there is one of the nicest in the country and it also has a great student nightlife if you know where to go. Saw one of the best live gigs I've been to in Bournemouth, Nazareth at their peak, me and the missus were the token English people in the crowd. There are several Foreign Language colleges down there and a thriving nightlife. Streets in front of Brighton I reckon.

Another good place to be as a student.

I think the thing about going clubbing holds true anywhere Jules, even Perth, I have a 22 year old that just looks at me when we are going out and shakes his head. Luckily we don't go to nightclubs now.

We went to the Breakwater a few weeks ago on Saturday night with a couple of friends. My missus and female friend were walking in behind us 2 guys and she said the bouncer had a good look at my Merrell road gloves shoes and if I'd been younger I wouldn't have got in. I still reckon they look pretty cool.:cool:

The Breakwater!! Touristy overpriced piece of idyllic harbour side drinking and dining joint. Full of terribly serious faux hip types. Boring. Should have gone to somewhere more authentic! So predictably perfectly happy with your non pretentious lot Paul1Perth. :0/

Archived