Perth Cheaper than London

simmo

The Breakwater!! Touristy overpriced piece of idyllic harbour side drinking and dining joint. Full of terribly serious faux hip types. Boring. Should have gone to somewhere more authentic! So predictably perfectly happy with your non pretentious lot Paul1Perth. :0/

We live pretty close and we only catch up with the friends about once a year. They live in Applecross so don't get up to see us that much. To be fair we had a good night. Got on the balcony upstairs, gorgeous night, barmeals were surprisingly good value and quality. We've been to the overpriced restaurant and I enjoyed the bar meal more.

The beer is overpriced for sure but we're not massive drinkers and it's a great place to sit and have a chat. Inside was packed and the music a bit load to sit and chat anyway. Outside on either the balcony or the deck is brilliant on a nice evening.

We used to go to the old breakwater that had the live bands, pool tables and carpets you would stick to. The beer was reasonably priced in there too. I guess they wanted to go upmarket and get rid of the riff raff. Just shows they manage to sneak in some nights.:cool:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guiness and Kilkenny is $12 mate. They must have seen you coming.

In my time in Perth I've never payed for a beer what he goes on with. Guess he never been for a night out in Tokyo, Norway ,Switzerland ect. Other well off countries with different economies. Sad when the price of beer can be the main complaint someone makes about living in a city.

Hold it right there, I met my missus in Bournemouth when we were on holiday there. The beach there is one of the nicest in the country and it also has a great student nightlife if you know where to go. Saw one of the best live gigs I've been to in Bournemouth, Nazareth at their peak, me and the missus were the token English people in the crowd. There are several Foreign Language colleges down there and a thriving nightlife. Streets in front of Brighton I reckon.

Another good place to be as a student.

I think the thing about going clubbing holds true anywhere Jules, even Perth, I have a 22 year old that just looks at me when we are going out and shakes his head. Luckily we don't go to nightclubs now.

We went to the Breakwater a few weeks ago on Saturday night with a couple of friends. My missus and female friend were walking in behind us 2 guys and she said the bouncer had a good look at my Merrell road gloves shoes and if I'd been younger I wouldn't have got in. I still reckon they look pretty cool.:cool:

I'll stand corrected :)

As a consultant I had a choice between Edinburgh or Bournemouth and opted for Edinburgh, based on what other consultants said about god's waiting room. The only time I have ever been was my a flight from Edinburgh to London was diverted - we didn't even get out of the plane. I was wrong to pass comment without knowing the facts but this is PIO and it doesn't stop anyone else :)

At the time we went to Brighton we lived near London and were well used to the dress code of 'trendy clubs' - this was in the hey day of Fabric and the likes - Brighton was hyped up to be a world beyond that - not a case of needing to be smart more a case of needing to make a statement! We had no bother though and had a fantastic time - started the night by going to see Cast, remember them?

I am also beyond clubbing now, the only time I've been to clubs in Perth is to see bands and that isn't a statement about Perth I'm just not interested. It might be a bit different back home purely because there I have friends to have 'girls nights out' with - something that amongst our friends here doesn't really happen.

I'll stand corrected :)

As a consultant I had a choice between Edinburgh or Bournemouth and opted for Edinburgh, based on what other consultants said about god's waiting room. The only time I have ever been was my a flight from Edinburgh to London was diverted - we didn't even get out of the plane. I was wrong to pass comment without knowing the facts but this is PIO and it doesn't stop anyone else :)

At the time we went to Brighton we lived near London and were well used to the dress code of 'trendy clubs' - this was in the hey day of Fabric and the likes - Brighton was hyped up to be a world beyond that - not a case of needing to be smart more a case of needing to make a statement! We had no bother though and had a fantastic time - started the night by going to see Cast, remember them?

I am also beyond clubbing now, the only time I've been to clubs in Perth is to see bands and that isn't a statement about Perth I'm just not interested. It might be a bit different back home purely because there I have friends to have 'girls nights out' with - something that amongst our friends here doesn't really happen.

Me and a mate decided to go to Bournemouth on a whim when we were about 20. We just had a couple of weeks spare and had been to Spain already that year. All the mates we knocked around with told us that was where people went to retire, no-one had been but that was the overall opinion.

We ignored them, drove down in the Mini Cooper, got a cheap boarding house and had a great time. Also the weather was great and it's one of the first times I got sunburned in my life. The beach there is gorgeous. Found a couple of pubs that played heavy music and a nightclub that seemed to be frequented by Swedish au-paires. Thought we'd found heaven.

That was a few years before I met my missus obviously.

The bunch we hang around with here are always popping off for girly weekends. It makes up for the times the guys take off for some sporting adventure and they don't fancy coming. This weekend 5 of us are going to do the Kalamunda Cyclo sportif, I'm sure the wives will think of something they can do. They seem to like a Sunday Brunch at different places.

They come to the nicer sporting events with us. Rottnest swim through, Anaconda in Augusta, anytime it looks like they might be able to get a night or 2 away they tend to come.:cool:

Guest chris955

$12 a pint, unbelievable. Its lucky everyone works down the mines and earns half a million dollars.

Unfortunately don't work in mining or oil and gas. Just a normal IT worker and I can still afford the odd pint at $12. You pay for the ambience and surroundings at Hillary's that's for sure.

We went to Perth Arena and were well impressed that a beer was only $10, its amazing what you get used to!

When we first moved to Edinburgh from London, 3 of us went into a pub for a pint and a bite to eat before going to a gig - we put in the order and it came to less than 10 pounds, my OH actually said 'can we pay for the food now as well' and that was the total price, admittedly this was 10 years ago and the food was just a plate of nachos to share!

Perth maybe 11% more expensive than London but Edinburgh is 41% cheaper than Perth :)

Unfortunately don't work in mining or oil and gas. Just a normal IT worker and I can still afford the odd pint at $12. You pay for the ambience and surroundings at Hillary's that's for sure.

Would that be the "ambience" of a load of poms in football shirts?

Would that be the "ambience" of a load of poms in football shirts?

Not in the Breakwater it's not mate. You might have been right if we'd have been at the Woodvale Tavern or there's another one we went to down Marmion where there were a few. Can't remember the name now. Frog and Parrot or something.

Not big on the soccer shirt with someone elses name on it tbh. Here or the UK.

All to their own but I fail to find an ambience at Hillary's that would see me returning more than two or three times a year.

Over priced and very over stated sort of place with an artificial vibe to my mind.

We went to Perth Arena and were well impressed that a beer was only $10, its amazing what you get used to!

When we first moved to Edinburgh from London, 3 of us went into a pub for a pint and a bite to eat before going to a gig - we put in the order and it came to less than 10 pounds, my OH actually said 'can we pay for the food now as well' and that was the total price, admittedly this was 10 years ago and the food was just a plate of nachos to share!

Perth maybe 11% more expensive than London but Edinburgh is 41% cheaper than Perth :)

Was disappointed by the drinking and eating venues in the Arena though Jules. Lovely inside but let down by the fast food joints and queuing for beer in plastic glasses then nowhere nice to sit. I would have loved a bar where it felt like a classy pub or something. Bit like when we used to go to the City Hall in Sheffield and the beautiful bar in there would be full of kids in T shirts for one night.

When we went to see Neil Young a few weeks ago my mate was keen to get in to check out the drinking venues. I'd been before and told him he'd be disappointed. We were in the Aviary at the time and having a good time in there. He though it was a bit of a let down and beer never tastes the same out of plastic. He said we wished we had stayed in the Aviary a bit longer.

In my time in Perth I've never payed for a beer what he goes on with. Guess he never been for a night out in Tokyo, Norway ,Switzerland ect. Other well off countries with different economies. Sad when the price of beer can be the main complaint someone makes about living in a city.

Doubt if it is alone the price of beer but the general rip off culture that prevades Perth living.

Doubt if it is alone the price of beer but the general rip off culture that prevades Perth living.

I think most of pauls posts have something to do with the price of beer tbh. This thread is about London being more expensive than Perth btw.

Quite. Have you seen the price of jelly babies recently? Shocking. :mad:

I'm going to have to send hubbie to the mines so I can afford them at this rate. :no:

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this has been posted before but this also shows Perth cheaper than London

[TABLE=class: table_indices_diff]

[TR]

[TH]Indices Difference[/TH]

[TH]information.png[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2, align: right]Consumer Prices in Perth are 12.22% higher than in London[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2, align: right]Consumer Prices Including Rent in Perth are 0.94% lower than in London[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2, align: right]Rent Prices in Perth are 19.63% lower than in London[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2, align: right]Restaurant Prices in Perth are 16.27% higher than in London[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2, align: right]Groceries Prices in Perth are 26.88% higher than in London[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2, align: right]Local Purchasing Power in Perth is 51.69% higher than in London[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&country2=Australia&city1=London&city2=Perth

you can change the cities for different comparrisons

Not sure if this has been posted before but this also shows Perth cheaper than London

[TABLE=class: table_indices_diff]

[TR]

[TH]Indices Difference[/TH]

[TH]information.png[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2, align: right]Consumer Prices in Perth are 12.22% higher than in London[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2, align: right]Consumer Prices Including Rent in Perth are 0.94% lower than in London[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2, align: right]Rent Prices in Perth are 19.63% lower than in London[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2, align: right]Restaurant Prices in Perth are 16.27% higher than in London[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2, align: right]Groceries Prices in Perth are 26.88% higher than in London[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2, align: right]Local Purchasing Power in Perth is 51.69% higher than in London[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&country2=Australia&city1=London&city2=Perth

you can change the cities for different comparrisons

I believe perth is dearer than London, but if London was to be found dearer you have to take into acoount London is a global city, not a dusty old mining town in the middle of no where.

I believe perth is dearer than London, but if London was to be found dearer you have to take into acoount London is a global city, not a dusty old mining town in the middle of no where.

It sounds like you have never been to Perth, I was expecting it to be as you describe but I was very pleased when we got there and it is a clean modern city with plenty going on. Now London, I wouldnt spend anymore time there than absolutely necessary its a horrible dirty, crime ridden place.

Archived