Are spiders and snakes a big problem in Perth?

Lee Thorp

Guest Ptp113
Hi all

My wife has was asking if there are alot of spider and snake incidents in Perth,are they a problem or do they not really bother people

​thanks for any replies

Awful! Not fit for humans I reckon...

Spiders are everywhere, but them being a problem depends on your wife, leave them alone and they will leave you alone. I dont think there are any that hunt humans right now. I prodded a few nests while I was there and I never got bitten, chased yes.

Been here living in the hills just over 2 years now and have never seen a snake yet. Plenty of spiders, we usually leave them alone unless it is a redback very near to the house. Husband found 2 in the garage with massive egg sacks last spring, but I have only actually had 1 redback in the house (that I know of).

Liz x

Not a problem - spiders are there but you just treat them with a bit more respect than you would in the UK. At first I was super careful - shaking washing before I brought it in, looking before I stuck my hand in the mail box etc. but now I don't give it a second thought. There are no more spiders than in the UK, in fact many people have their houses sprayed so there are less. We have had the odd spectacular wolf spider (harmless to humans but huge) and a mouse spider had a face off with our cat!

To my distress I have never seen a snake in the 5 years I've been here! I love snakes even kept a couple as pets in the UK. We have had snakes in our garden and a baby dugite came off worse in a confrontation with our cat (one very lucky cat!) but you would have to be pretty lucky to see one and I have always missed them.

We saw a snake in the pet shop on Saturday..... turned around and OH was holding it!

In 2 years we've been here I've seen one snake in Kings Park (blink and you'd miss it) and one on the beach up near Jindalee where all the 4wd's head (brother was antagonising it with a stick...)

Spiders - haven't seen any at all and can't say I give it a moments thought!

Cockroaches, catterpillars, millipeads and flys on the other hand....:err:

Hi Lee

We have had a couple of redbacks in the garden, they weren't there long (breathe and spray - Mortein is fab, they last under 10 seconds). I had a small unidentified spider on the stairs. Squish! No more spider on the stairs. My husband used to rescue spiders in the UK and show me and the kids (I hated it - first sign of a big spider and I would be standing on a chair yelling to be rescued). Here he sprays them and then, once they are dead, removes them.

We had our house sprayed to sort out cockroaches, spiders etc and apart from when they fell off the side of the house and died rather dramatically after the spraying, I have not seen them.

We haven't seen a snake in the wild since we got here and we have spent a lot of time in Whitemans Park and up at Yanchep. We've seen lots in the zoo.

If it's any consolation I spent 10 years refusing to even come to Australia on holiday because of my perceived snake/spider issue. I just thought the Australians were all very brave people, and was not surprised at the numbers of them living in London. When I was under 10 I thought they had all come to get away from the snakes and spiders :biggrin:

However I was ever so surprised when I was finally persuaded to visit, that I did not see a single snake and not even a sniff of a spider.

Reassure your wife. It's fine here.

Best wishes

Carolyn

I live semi rual, so we do see snakes, but they head off as soon as they see you. Only an issue for the dog, as you cant let them run off into bushes and things.

Spiders are not much of an issue. We get huntsman which are big, but harmless and most people like them as they eat other nasty ones.

Did have a family of redbacks take up residence in the letter box, but a good spray soon sorted that out.

Hi all

My wife has was asking if there are alot of spider and snake incidents in Perth,are they a problem or do they not really bother people

​thanks for any replies

No worries at all. In 8 years I have seen 1 snake and if you spray you won't see any spiders.

I've lived here for 21 years and seen plenty of spiders and a few snakes. Not been bothered by them one bit though. The redbacks are a nice looking spider and in all that time I've only known one person who has had a redback spider bite. She sat on one at a barbie and got bitten in a very unfortunate place too. She had to go to hospital and felt ill for a day or so but was fine after that.

I've seen a lot of snakes in Rotto, especially early morning when they go out on the road to warm up. Give them a wide berth on the bike and they don't bother you. I've also seen a few at the beach in the dunes but they are more scared of humans than we are of them. Unless you manage to stand on one you should be fine.

Watch out for the giant man spider its massive eats dogs in one go seen in perth high street along with perthbums girfreind

face like a burst mattress or was it perth Scotland or Perth Australia you know what even he does not know

Edited by Jake max

I am not a fan of spiders or anything else creepy crawly. I am a bit worried, but when we find a rental, my intention will be exterminate everything in there. You can get some mortiem from the DIY store or get the pest controllers in to do it for you. When we lived in Sydney, the worst thing we saw were roaches. Have been to Perth a few times, stayed on campsites and never seen anything worth worrying about. Never seen a snake in Oz even in QLD or NT. Saw a dead Redback in Katherine, NT.

We have snakes here in Spain, my dog likes to find the dead ones and run down the road with them. Once you live somewhere, you do adapt.

Just think of all the good things that are in Oz, perhaps this will help you to cope with the nasties:biggrin:

To be honest i'm more freaked by the size of the bloomin' cockroaches

Yep, they freak me out as well. I thought I'd seen some big ones until we moved to our current house (which had been unoccupied for a while) and they were cockroaches with attitude (and big ones at that!) What gets me is that they play dead on the floor with their legs in the air, and then charge you when you try to get them outside or in the bin. Even my husband yelled when one went for him! My new philosophy is that nothing is dead until it has been well and truly sprayed. The cockroaches do get a shock when you go near them playing dead and then spray them, but at least they are then definitely dead.

Hi all

​thanks for any replies

To be honest , if you have young children you will have more games of Snakes & Ladders than actually see snakes in Perth unless you go looking for them .........but saying that we are having a bad time with red backs atm..........