Getting used to the heat?

ghostgirl

Cope with the heat o.k. Actually am enjoying autumn weather better than summer though, it's been around 20 degrees for a week or two with cool mornings and the sun has lost it's "sting" so little or no sunscreen required from now until September hopefully. Summer is fine , it's just a few days where the temperature is unbearable. Actually i found the temperature differences from day to day more difficult to deal with than the actual heat itself. But more often than not you get a cool breeze from the bay to take the edge off the highest temps. And you just treat the very hot days like " bad weather" and stay indoors as much as you can. Having said that i'm in Melbourne and we don't get months of unrlenting high heat and humidity here. Australia has a big range of climates.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
aw thank you for your reply, making me feel so excited! I made a joke about a parasol in another thread but it was only a half joke, I seriously want one, pin up girl style :D

I'm sure you will look gorgeous!! And they really are a good idea, saves you getting a sweaty head and hat hair!! Lol. Well we are off out for a motorbike ride now. Too hot for that in high summer, but today the sky is blue the sun is shining and we should reach about 28 mid day, so the old man is taking me out for lunch after a nice ride somewhere yay! X

Cope with the heat o.k. Actually am enjoying autumn weather better than summer though, it's been around 20 degrees for a week or two with cool mornings and the sun has lost it's "sting" so little or no sunscreen required from now until September hopefully. Summer is fine , it's just a few days where the temperature is unbearable. And you just treat those days like " bad weather" days and stay indoors as much as you can. Having said that i'm in Melbourne and we don't get months of high heat and humidity here . Australia has a big range of climates.

​Is sun cream expensive over there? I don't think I will be able to go a day without it! Maybe I am panicking and worrying about this too much but I just don't want to risk it.

I'm sure you will look gorgeous!! And they really are a good idea, saves you getting a sweaty head and hat hair!! Lol. Well we are off out for a motorbike ride now. Too hot for that in high summer, but today the sky is blue the sun is shining and we should reach about 28 mid day, so the old man is taking me out for lunch after a nice ride somewhere yay! X

Motorbike ride! So jealous! That sounds like such an awesome day, hope you have fun & thank you for your help!! xx

Oh I just meant that someone recently told me they went to visit their Aussie family in Melbourne and it seemed like they were constantly running away from the sun, I guess I just assumed Aussies would be used to it.

Fact - Northern Eurpean skins NEVER get used to UV levels of 12-13 in mid summer and hiding from the sun or looking for shade when out is something you automatically do at certain times of the year. . You don't go to the beach in the middle of the day, within an hour your head is throbbing.

​Is sun cream expensive over there? I don't think I will be able to go a day without it! Maybe I am panicking and worrying about this too much but I just don't want to risk it.

no,it's not particularly expensive, i think perhaps even a little cheaper than in the UK. and from my experience last summer, when i used it every day, it does work ( I have fair skin and burn easily). You need UVA and UVB filters though - don't bring factor 10 UVA only from the UK or anything - it simply doesnt work in the Australian sun.

You'll be fine, don't panic, withink weeks you will be into a routine of protecting yourself from the sun with creams, wearing hats and dark glasses when you go out. Sunglasses are not a fashion item here - they're an absolute necessity to protect your eyes so don't forget them when you go out!

You can buy sunscreen in 1 litre pump bottles - for about $25 if you look out for specials.

Thank you for your help, I was gonna bring a little bit of sun cream in my bag to protect me on my way from the airport and buy some good stuff when I arrived in Sydney. I think my worrying is 50% health related & 50% vanity, sunburn will not look good with my red lipstick that I wear daily haha :) I just do not tan, only burn! I quite like being pale though so it's ok!!

So you up the insulation, draught seal windows/doors, and add heating or air-con.
Because lots of us live in rental properties, pretty simple really.It's not an example of pom laziness, it's an example of Aussie rubbishness. General standard of housing here is ropey. As I've worked in construction for 20+ years I know what I'm looking at

I think my worrying is 50% health related & 50% vanity, sunburn will not look good with my red lipstick that I wear daily haha :) I just do not tan, only burn! I quite like being pale though so it's ok!!

Broad brimmed hats will become your new best friend...and long sleeved, light cotton or linen shirts: worn open over a tank top they will keep the sun off and keep you cool. But you will need a bit of sun to your skin otherwise you will become vitamin D deficient.

It took me a year I reckon. We arrived in the middle of winter and the first summer here in Perth was a shock to be fair but by the second one it was fine I managed to work all through it without dying haha. I too now find anything under 25c cold.

I bet it will take me a year to get used to it too and then my visa will expire! haha :(

Broad brimmed hats will become your new best friend...and long sleeved, light cotton or linen shirts: worn open over a tank top they will keep the sun off and keep you cool. But you will need a bit of sun to your skin otherwise you will become vitamin D deficient.

Yeah I wanna buy a nice hat when I arrive! I'm surprised that I'm not already vitamin D deficient, I work in very dim light/almost darkness with no windows or natural light and I'm sure the last time I witnessed a sunny day was in August.

Guest Ptp113
Because lots of us live in rental properties, pretty simple really.It's not an example of pom laziness, it's an example of Aussie rubbishness. General standard of housing here is ropey. As I've worked in construction for 20+ years I know what I'm looking at

Kevin McLeod said British houses are the worst built around. Oh and here a minimal level of insulation is givt mandated.

TBH I find winter hard to get used to than the summer heat. Waking up in the middle of the night, in a house with poor insulation and single glazing (the toilet window doesn't fully close by design) when the outside temprature is minus 8c has to be experienced!

Guest Ptp113
TBH I find winter hard to get used to than the summer heat. Waking up in the middle of the night, in a house with poor insulation and single glazing (the toilet window doesn't fully close by design) when the outside temprature is minus 8c has to be experienced!

Sort it! Bunnings is there for a reason....

Yeah I wanna buy a nice hat when I arrive! I'm surprised that I'm not already vitamin D deficient, I work in very dim light/almost darkness with no windows or natural light and I'm sure the last time I witnessed a sunny day was in August.

I think the windows would prevent the production of vitamin D anyway. If your skin is pale, then you will need less sunlight than someone with darker skin to produce vitamin D. You may well be deficient already, because I am not sure that it is something you can readily detect yourself. I was deficient without knowing it, now I take a Vit D gummy bear every day.

Guest Ptp113
I think the windows would prevent the production of vitamin D anyway. If your skin is pale, then you will need less sunlight than someone with darker skin to produce vitamin D. You may well be deficient already, because I am not sure that it is something you can readily detect yourself. I was deficient without knowing it, now I take a Vit D gummy bear every day.

Same here

So instead of whinging about it, sort it! Bunnings is there for a reason....

it's on the list, like most Canberra residents putting up with a high heating bill is the easier option. Spring comes around quickly.. I'm not whinging - just stating a fact: my house is colder in winter here than the one we had in the UK.

Guest Ptp113
it's on the list, like most Canberra residents putting up with a high heating bill is the easier option. Spring comes around quickly.. I'm not whinging - just stating a fact: my house is colder in winter here than the one we had in the UK.

​Owner or renter?

Guest Ptp113
Absolutely not! And I never whinge either! Well rarely haha! My house is fine in winter too, just one gas fire and leave the doors open inside and the blinds open to let in the sun, simple .

A pity you're a very small minority

Perth summers can be harsh, and you are looking forward to winter by summer's end. Only place I know where I've seen people dance in the rain. The heat tends to bring on migraines for me unless I drink gallons of water. Part of the reason why I came to the UK.

Archived