Getting used to the heat?

ghostgirl

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh I meant miserable weather, it's supposed to be spring but it feels like winter at the moment!

'miserable' weather is a matter of opinion.

I am over the heat and look forward to living in in the UK again where the weather is mild.

You do get used to the heat, to some extent, but the summers here are still unbearable.

Just been out for a walk and am now sweating horribly and covered in insect bites. And the weather today is relativey cool....be careful what you wish for

well my opinion is that our weather now is plenty miserable.

I am going to Sydney, I check the weather every day it seems to be in the early 20s which seems fine to me, I'm not going to Australia as a sun worshiper at all I just know it will be a very drastic change to what I am used to in Northern England

There aren't many days when it gets really hot to be hard to bear. I can think of maybe 7 or 8 real scorchers in the past 2 summers in Sydney. So no drama reallyAutumn and winter days can be lovely, as it is today and has been since Tuesday. Just got back from taking my son to football and the smell of dew evaporating in the early morning sun was fantastic.Don't read too much into the peak temperatures you see - it often feels cooler than stated, especially out of the sun, there's more of a difference between sun/shade here in account of the much lower latitude.

You don't - you adapt your lifestyle (& wardrobe) accordingly. You get up a 5am for a run, bike ride, whatever - have breakfast at a beach cafe, swim, surf whatever until 10, maybe 11 and then stay indoors until the afternoon breezes come in (or it gets dark). Of course most of us can't live like that because we are working 9-5 which means if you have an office job you are in air condition bliss for most of the day.

A lot depends where you are in Australia - I'm in Perth where temperatures are often over 40 degrees in the summer - Tassie would be a different story.

In simple terms you deal with 'miserable and hot' in the same way as 'miserable and cold' - you stay out of it. After about 5 months in Perth I finally experienced feeling cold again and it was as delicious as feeling the first rays of sunshine on your skin in the UK.

Guest littlesarah

We've been having some lovely weather in NSW/Sydney just now. Went for a bike ride on Thursday afternoon - the temp was perfect for T-shirt and shorts, and the only discomfort I suffered was falling off!

It does get humid in the Summer, but as I work indoors in an airconditioned office, it doesn't bother me too much. We're lucky that our house is two-storey, and downstairs is cooler than upstairs when it's hot, so we find that retreating down there on really hot days makes things bearable. I hate being cold so most of the year I love the temperatures. Gets a bit chilly Winter mornings, mind.

Thanks guys! I'm just gonna have to be mega careful with the sun cream (typical Irish skin) I am so excited now, every day when I walk to work with the wind blowing, grey clouds and temp never above 10 I just imagine how glorious it will be in Sydney!

My family have been warning me about the weather and telling me I will hate it but I have a feeling it's because my mother really doesn't want me to go!

You don't - you adapt your lifestyle (& wardrobe) accordingly. You get up a 5am for a run, bike ride, whatever - have breakfast at a beach cafe, swim, surf whatever until 10, maybe 11 and then stay indoors until the afternoon breezes come in (or it gets dark). Of course most of us can't live like that because we are working 9-5 which means if you have an office job you are in air condition bliss for most of the day.

A lot depends where you are in Australia - I'm in Perth where temperatures are often over 40 degrees in the summer - Tassie would be a different story.

In simple terms you deal with 'miserable and hot' in the same way as 'miserable and cold' - you stay out of it. After about 5 months in Perth I finally experienced feeling cold again and it was as delicious as feeling the first rays of sunshine on your skin in the UK.

holy moly as if that could be my life very soon! even if it is just on my days off work!!!

I am used to cold houses, we currently live in a rickety old building, cute & quirky definitely, but the original sash windows don't close fully and we are too poor to put the heating on all the time, surely it can't be that bad in Sydney haha!

I am used to cold houses, we currently live in a rickety old building, cute & quirky definitely, but the original sash windows don't close fully and we are too poor to put the heating on all the time, surely it can't be that bad in Sydney haha!

It can be.....not being funny but a lot of houses here are rubbishly insulated and it does get chilly at night - down to 5c or less. It can easily be under 10c in your house when you get up in the morning, which is blummin' cold by anyone's standards. This house is much better than the last one I had, last winter I was colder in my house than I had been in England since living in an un centrally heated house in Sheffield in the 1970s

Guest Ptp113
It can be.....not being funny but a lot of houses here are rubbishly insulated and it does get chilly at night - down to 5c or less. It can easily be under 10c in your house when you get up in the morning, which is blummin' cold by anyone's standards. This house is much better than the last one I had, last winter I was colder in my house than I had been in England since living in an un centrally heated house in Sheffield in the 1970s

So you up the insulation, draught seal windows/doors, and add heating or air-con.

At least I will be prepared for the cold nights after living in these freezing centuries old apartments for the past 5 years! Maybe I will bring a few cardigans just in case.

One of the main reasons I am excited about the weather is that I'm gonna be able to wear my nice summer clothes instead of thick winter coats & jumpers all the time!!

Thanks guys! I'm just gonna have to be mega careful with the sun cream (typical Irish skin) I am so excited now, every day when I walk to work with the wind blowing, grey clouds and temp never above 10 I just imagine how glorious it will be in Sydney!

My family have been warning me about the weather and telling me I will hate it but I have a feeling it's because my mother really doesn't want me to go!

I find mid to late 30s and over 40 more than I can cope with. But the over 40 happens rarely in Sydney and even the high 30's will only be for a few weeks or so. Many people in Australia are diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency because of staying out of the sun and plastering on the factor 30, I was a few months ago after some routine blood tests, I take supplements now. I was told better to do that than try to get more sun.

It isn't glorious in Sydney the whole time btw, it rains a lot, quite possibly more than you are used to. Very nice here day today.

I find mid to late 30s and over 40 more than I can cope with. But the over 40 happens rarely in Sydney and even the high 30's will only be for a few weeks or so. Many people in Australia are diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency because of staying out of the sun and plastering on the factor 30, I was a few months ago after some routine blood tests, I take supplements now. I was told better to do that than try to get more sun.

It isn't glorious in Sydney the whole time btw, it rains a lot, quite possibly more than you are used to. Very nice here day today.

Yes I have heard that some people spend their time running away from the sun! I think I will be slapping on the factor 50, my skin just doesn't tan at all and I am real terrified of getting sunburn. A bit of rain can be nice sometimes! Our windy, wintery, rainy days here are making me feel pretty down right now but at least I only have 40 more days of them!!!

Hi I live outside of Brisbane. Been here 5 years and I'm still not used to the heat! But I have developed a real big sensitivity to the cold!! If the temps go below 25 it feels cold to me! We have found that if we go out on a hot day we either go to the mountain rainforest or beach which have their own micro climates and are much cooler. Don't rely on sunscreen, seriously I have been lathered up with the stuff and still burned!! Wear long sleeves and a sarong on the beach if you are as white as I am! I even put a hat on to hang the washing out. We used to think it was funny in the big indoor shopping malls that folk would just turn up for the day n bring a flask of tea and newspaper and just sit and chill out in the sir conditioned comfort! But we often go to them in summer now to escape the really hot days and be out of the house lol. I work in an air conditioned company so I'm good with it most of the time but my hubby works in a big warehouse with a tin roof and I don't know how he does it, he comes home exhausted! Can't walk anywhere in summer either, even a 20 min walk is a killer! I use an umbrella to keep the sun off me out and about, got one of those with the silver heat reflector on the underside, highly recommend them! But spring and autumn like now are heavenly! Like the best of uk summers! Love it, fab for the beach, not too hot and beautiful blue skies. Get used to dunking more water, or you will end up with a kidney stone! I take a big drink first thing in the mornings and have a drink of water before I have a coffee. You will love the warmth. It's hotter here usually than Sydney but the last two summers they have had hotter spells than us, my Aunty lives down in nowra and she struggles a bit but gets on with it. I'm going back to uk for a visit in August, can't wait to feel English summer weather again! Few too many insects here and they all want to bite me! Good luck x

Yes I have heard that some people spend their time running away from the sun! I think I will be slapping on the factor 50, my skin just doesn't tan at all and I am real terrified of getting sunburn. A bit of rain can be nice sometimes! Our windy, wintery, rainy days here are making me feel pretty down right now but at least I only have 40 more days of them!!!

Not sure what you mean by that? It is entirely sensible to protect against the Australian sun.

Hi I live outside of Brisbane. Been here 5 years and I'm still not used to the heat! But I have developed a real big sensitivity to the cold!! If the temps go below 25 it feels cold to me! We have found that if we go out on a hot day we either go to the mountain rainforest or beach which have their own micro climates and are much cooler. Don't rely on sunscreen, seriously I have been lathered up with the stuff and still burned!! Wear long sleeves and a sarong on the beach if you are as white as I am! I even put a hat on to hang the washing out. We used to think it was funny in the big indoor shopping malls that folk would just turn up for the day n bring a flask of tea and newspaper and just sit and chill out in the sir conditioned comfort! But we often go to them in summer now to escape the really hot days and be out of the house lol. I work in an air conditioned company so I'm good with it most of the time but my hubby works in a big warehouse with a tin roof and I don't know how he does it, he comes home exhausted! Can't walk anywhere in summer either, even a 20 min walk is a killer! I use an umbrella to keep the sun off me out and about, got one of those with the silver heat reflector on the underside, highly recommend them! But spring and autumn like now are heavenly! Like the best of uk summers! Love it, fab for the beach, not too hot and beautiful blue skies. Get used to dunking more water, or you will end up with a kidney stone! I take a big drink first thing in the mornings and have a drink of water before I have a coffee. You will love the warmth. It's hotter here usually than Sydney but the last two summers they have had hotter spells than us, my Aunty lives down in nowra and she struggles a bit but gets on with it. I'm going back to uk for a visit in August, can't wait to feel English summer weather again! Few too many insects here and they all want to bite me! Good luck x

aw thank you for your reply, making me feel so excited! I made a joke about a parasol in another thread but it was only a half joke, I seriously want one, pin up girl style :D

Not sure what you mean by that? It is entirely sensible to protect against the Australian sun.

Oh I just meant that someone recently told me they went to visit their Aussie family in Melbourne and it seemed like they were constantly running away from the sun, I guess I just assumed Aussies would be used to it. I will most certainly be avoiding very hot days, the whole reason for this thread is that I am extremely pale and have never been to a hot place for more than a week before, I take extremely good care of my skin even in British summers I will wear suncream in a high factor.

Archived