StevieF8

Guest chris955
The Falklands war need never have happened if Thatcher's government had done their job properly....there is lot of suspicion that she wanted a war to deflect attention from her own unpopularity at the time

So you mean Argentina should have just been allowed to storm the Islands and take over against the islanders wishes ?

So you mean Argentina should have just been allowed to storm the Islands and take over against the islanders wishes ?

I mean the Tory government should have made their intentions clear like the previous Labour government did when they sent a naval force to deter the argentinians a few years before

Guest chris955

I was working in an electronics factory, Im not sure how any of this is relevant, the union issues are very well documented. I wasnt around in the 40's but I know Hitler wasnt a very nice chap ;)

Guest chris955
I mean the Tory government should have made their intentions clear like the previous Labour government did when they sent a naval force to deter the argentinians a few years before

They did what they had to do at the time, unfortunately Argentina is still playing silly buggers.

I was working in an electronics factory, Im not sure how any of this is relevant, the union issues are very well documented. I wasnt around in the 40's but I know Hitler wasnt a very nice chap ;)

Don't duck the issue.

I was a public sector trade union member through the 70's and we were never ordered to go on strike .....and never did

History has been rewritten a few times since then

Guest chris955

Dont duck the issue ? You asked if I was working in the 70's, I said I was, what was I ducking ?

Don't duck the issue.

I was a public sector trade union member through the 70's and we were never ordered to go on strike .....and never did

History has been rewritten a few times since then

well why don't you stick to talking about things you actually have some experience of?

Don't tell those of us who were living and working throught it what things were like in those days

I'll talk about whatever I like and I don't need your permission

I’ve heard enough about what went on and I’ve read about it enough to form my own opinion, does it match with you? Probably not, do I care? Not one jot.

Are people still suffereing the legacy of Thatcher? You obviously haven't studied the Thatcherite period and philosophy deep enough to know its influence even today on ongoing policies.

Thatcher's Right to Buy scheme with regard to council housing was a big no no for me. I could never understand why tax payers should subidise cheap housing purchases to tenants. Not only that but a few years later they could sell it off at matket price.

Council houses were in place to put a roof over the head of low income folk. Totally agree with that. Not with Thatcher buying the working class vote by selling a million' peoples houses'.

The legacy todat 5 million folk languish on council waiting lists,while billions of pounds are paid to private landlords,charging rip off rents.

Are workers in UK better off today? Many applaud the destruction of union power in UK but at what cost to individuals and standards of living? Workers left to the mercy of bosses tend to make them poorer. I have even heard the odd speaker for the Right there say there is an arguement unions were too weakened.

Four years before the present economic downturn,the bottom third earnings actually begain to decline, even as corporations were recording record profits.

Not forgetting UK is one of the most unequal countries.

I’ve said before, and I’ll say it again, selling council houses off was a mistake, and still is a mistake and Cameron is advocating it

Its a stupid move that leaves councils paying exorbitant fees to private landlords when they had the houses in their control in the first place.

must admit the only good she done was giving people the chance to own their own houses, these people were not like wealthy people who have holiday homes these were working class people who had the chance to own their own houses like more wealthy people.

must admit the only good she done was giving people the chance to own their own houses, these people were not like wealthy people who have holiday homes these were working class people who had the chance to own their own houses like more wealthy people.

You are what, 29. How on earth would you understand anything about Thatcher other than what you have read.

Well the second electon I remember well and it was off the backs of The Falklands. Prior to that she had very low ratings and was loathed. The first one wasn't hard considering the turmoil of the time. The third one she was returned by a very low minority after a low turn out. The fizz was going out by this stage.

Or in reality, the 9th highest turnout since the war (out of 18 General Elections) 75.30%

Winning almost 60% of the of seats, 147 seats more than Labour

Winning over 40% of the votes, 30% to Labour

so it was a crap turnout.

Education, Education, Education......that mantra was lost on you wasn't it...

FYI, I know you're no good at averages, but the average turnout in the UK is 73.9% so it was an above average turnout

Edited by StevieF8
info

I said i didnt really have a opinion because of my age but really there are other moments in history that we still all have opinions about but we werent there either?

You're not allowed an opinion, according to some on here, unless you lived through it, so history teachers may as well pack in work, they're wasting their time

The Falklands war need never have happened if Thatcher's government had done their job properly....there is lot of suspicion that she wanted a war to deflect attention from her own unpopularity at the time

Your right , the Falklands need never have happened . If the Argentina junta hasn't been trying to divert attention from the increasing unrest and the missing. There was some attempt to settle by Argentinas on other islands and a vessel was sent .

There is suspicion about the twin towers , elvis , moon landings and a host of other nonsense .

If people have a problem with thatchers policies , I can unsterstand that , everyones got their political oppinions but when thatcher reclaimed the Falklands she did what any right and proper leader would do. Same as the tossers who kicked up about the rock . Good on her for allowing terrorist scum on an active mission to be dealt with .