StevieF8

Guest chris955

Anyone would think that Britain somehow started the conflict, Argentina were the aggressors and were dealt with.

The Falklands was an act of desperation . By a military dictatorship that was having riots on its streets . There were two Exocet destroyers accompanying the belgrano , they could have saved the men in the water but chose to do a runner. There had already been air battles and fighting on South Georgia . After she was sunk the Argie navy stayed clear . I for one am glad we had a leader with more balls than some of the posters on here .

Guest Ptp113
which bit exactly ? Enlighten me ? I've read up on the history of the Falklands for years , unless you know something they don't ....

So you know about exclusion zones, sailing direction, RN disquiet, Peruvian peace proposal and more. Enlighten us

Yer cant mean me Mick,ive been wheeling mine round in a wheelbarrow for six months until the other week:biggrin:

Anyway,i'll leave this thread alone now,i think we all know where everyone stands,so i'll dusty now

New apprentice ? Wink wink

Crap......she made so many villages into ghost towns with her pathetic hatred of the unions, she was a useless leader and only interested in her own importance.

Yes, because under spineless Labour, the country was booming wasn't it?

What? There's no biscuits for our morning brew?......STRIKE!

Unions ran the country in the 70's, actually I should say, Unions held the country to ransom in the 70's

Funny how everyone is saying privatisation has meant power and rail transport costs more....wonder how much it would have cost when the workers were out on strike until they got the pay rises they wanted.....or as long as the Government was propping them up and where would that money come from, higher taxes. So back to 80%+ income taxes

This place would be no better than Eastern Europe without Thatcher breaking their stranglehold.

Yes, because under spineless Labour, the country was booming wasn't it?

What? There's no biscuits for our morning brew?......STRIKE!

Unions ran the country in the 70's, actually I should say, Unions held the country to ransom in the 70's

Funny how everyone is saying privatisation has meant power and rail transport costs more....wonder how much it would have cost when the workers were out on strike until they got the pay rises they wanted.....or as long as the Government was propping them up and where would that money come from, higher taxes. So back to 80%+ income taxes

This place would be no better than Eastern Europe without Thatcher breaking their stranglehold.

Were you actually working in the 70's.....or is all this just myth and folklore you are describing?

What age were you when she came to power?

Guest chris955
No, but I've heard about it from my family.

My Dad was out on strike loads of times during the late 70's

Workers back then were told to strike literally at the drop of a hat and it bought the country to its knees. I would like to think people today know the folly of that nonsense and wont follow the remaining militant leaders down the same path.

Workers back then were told to strike literally at the drop of a hat and it bought the country to its knees. I would like to think people today know the folly of that nonsense and wont follow the remaining militant leaders down the same path.

So did you work in the 70's?

So you know about exclusion zones, sailing direction, RN disquiet, Peruvian peace proposal and more. Enlighten us

Sailing direction , not to port but to await further orders, not like they were all going home . . The captain of the belgrano since admitted he was still a threat , SeaCat missiles . Do you know about the letter delivered by the Swiss informing them that even vessels outside the exclusion zone were considered hostile and fair game ? Sad as that many deaths are , I would much rather they were the enemies than our own . Argentina started a war , interned residents and captured British troops . Negotiations had been going on for years that looked to do some kind of deal.

Might be time to enlighten yourself .

Sailing direction , not to port but to await further orders, not like they were all going home . . The captain of the belgrano since admitted he was still a threat , SeaCat missiles . Do you know about the letter delivered by the Swiss informing them that even vessels outside the exclusion zone were considered hostile and fair game ? Sad as that many deaths are , I would much rather they were the enemies than our own . Argentina started a war , interned residents and captured British troops . Negotiations had been going on for years that looked to do some kind of deal.

Might be time to enlighten yourself .

The Falklands war need never have happened if Thatcher's government had done their job properly....there is lot of suspicion that she wanted a war to deflect attention from her own unpopularity at the time

Guest chris955
I thought you were brought up in Australia....so what age were you at the time?

I was, I lived in Geelong until I was 10 and then in Somerset until I got married at 22 and went back to Australia.