Canberra - is it really that bad??

noworriesmate

Guest Ptp113

Visited where? Canberra is 40k end to end and nearly everything is hidden. If you went to the CBD then I'm not surprised. Probably best that poms stay well away......

Canberra itself, because of being purpose built, is very cold. When non residents, usually, visit all the government offices are closed and so there is only tourists walking about. However, it is worth a visit for the art galleries, museums and ofcourse the War Memorial.

It's as cold as any other big city and as friendly as any other big country town. It's certainly cleaner than Sydney or Melbourne, not as many beggars (although there are a few) and if that's what makes it sterile then I suppose it might appear sterile. Most tourists jut do the tourist stuff and don't go further afield to see the life. It's nothing like MK - doesn't even have an Ikea! Mind you, a cursory glance at MK tells me it's probably not as bad as it is painted either (and it does have an Ikea!) the difference there is probably more marked because there is more history within cooee whereas Canberra has less visible ancient history but only by a hundred years or so. If you have to live anywhere in Australia, Canberra is one of the better places to be.

I hate the place. It was a crazy idea to build the capital city in the middle of nowhere. It's not even a place where you have to go through it to get somewhere else. Hence nobody goes there. 3 hours away on the coast there are stunning places like Merimbula which would have made a beautiful setting for the nation's capital.

It's a lot like Brussels or any other major political centre. Most of the life seems to happen during the week, and the weekends are a bit dead. Saying that I quite like Canberra as a place to visit if you like getting out and 'doing things'. There is some lovely countryside nearby. But I don't think it would make the top ten list of party towns.

It's not even a place where you have to go through it to get somewhere else.

Not true the Greyhound bus from Melbourne to Sydney goes via Canberry :)

As I tell folk, it takes 25 mins in the back of a taxi to get from my house to through security and queueing for a coffee at Canberra airport. 25 mins to fly to Sydney, where it takes an 1 hour and 20 mins to cover the 12kms to the office (and costs $100!). The traffic is no better on the way back to Kingsford Smith. I know which I prefer.

A lot of Australians don't like the place - see this recent opinion piece: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/comment/happy-birthday-to-a-vision-turned-sterile-20130306-2flhp.html Must admit I share their views. If Canberra has a soul or any locale with a community/village feel then they are keeping it very well hidden. My only experience has been that shopping mall in Civic, which is dismal. The locals get very defensive about the place - was given a lecture by an ACT taxi driver about the joys of Canberra and I hadn't even said anything about the place: big chip on shoulder. For balance, here's a story on the positives: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/what-we-love-about-canberra-20130308-2fq21.html

Canberra is a great place to live. I choose to base myself here even though I have to travel to Sydney and Melb constantly for work.

However, it does take time to find out where the locals (as opposed to tourists) hang out. Before we moved here we used to bag it out as well but once we moved here we realised what a hidden gem Canberra really is.

Guest Ptp113
A lot of Australians don't like the place - see this recent opinion piece: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/comment/happy-birthday-to-a-vision-turned-sterile-20130306-2flhp.html Must admit I share their views. If Canberra has a soul or any locale with a community/village feel then they are keeping it very well hidden. My only experience has been that shopping mall in Civic, which is dismal. The locals get very defensive about the place - was given a lecture by an ACT taxi driver about the joys of Canberra and I hadn't even said anything about the place: big chip on shoulder. For balance, here's a story on the positives: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/what-we-love-about-canberra-20130308-2fq21.html

Everything is hidden. Everything is in the burbs where people actually live, unlike other cities. A car/bike is mandatory of course

Guest Ptp113
Canberra is a great place to live. I choose to base myself here even though I have to travel to Sydney and Melb constantly for work.

However, it does take time to find out where the locals (as opposed to tourists) hang out. Before we moved here we used to bag it out as well but once we moved here we realised what a hidden gem Canberra really is.

That will be enough of that! You have broken the unwritten rule that all in Canberra must bag it to keep foreigners away. 50 lashes!

Part of the problem for most Aussies is that it's associated with federal parliament so when there is something less than palatable it's always reported in the national media as Canberra said this or Canberra decided that ... guilt by negative association really.

I have never lived in Canberra but I have spent several holidays there caring for my two young nieces when they were of school age. I found it a great place as a "temporary parent" - lots to do with the kids and very easy to drive around.

Particularly beautiful in the autumn.

It was named in a recent Suncorp Report as one of the top three Family Friendly City/Towns in Australia.

http://www.suncorpbank.com.au/sites/default/files/Suncorp_Bank_Family_Friendly_City_Report_FINAL.pdf

Guest Ptp113
Its a bit boring and bland- but not terrible. I love the war memorial though- very moving ( and quite upsetting)

anything but boring, and unlike you Ive lived in most states. More major events on than any other city in the country. 250,000 turned up on one day recently for the Multicultural Festival, and 150,000 turnout annually for Skyfire in a week or two. The balloon festival is on and last week the Mustang Nationals. It's physically impossible to 'do' every event but we try our best. Always look for a guide when visiting, or you'll miss 99% of what's here.

I have to say that when I visited Canberra I found it very sterile

It is pretty sterile if you're looking for a bit of debauchery or a place for a pub crawl, which we all do now and again. It's very organised and controlled, which wouldn't suit people who like things a bit looser.

However, cities that evolved naturally are a nightmare these days. I've lived in London, Atlanta and Sydney. Great for a holiday or a weekend on the booze looking at sights, but none of them are a patch on Canberra for quality of living or environment...it is wonderfully easy, IF you get a decent job.

The fella above who said he'd only been to a shopping centre and thus thought Canberra didn't have a "village/community feel" is quite typically hilarious....but at least he's been here once even if it was only to go to the supermarket !

As Wendee says, the typical Canberran response is to tell people that it's a hellhole in the hope that they don't move here.

Guest Ptp113
It is pretty sterile if you're looking for a bit of debauchery or a place for a pub crawl, which we all do now and again. It's very organised and controlled, which wouldn't suit people who like things a bit looser.

However, cities that evolved naturally are a nightmare these days. I've lived in London, Atlanta and Sydney. Great for a holiday or a weekend on the booze looking at sights, but none of them are a patch on Canberra for quality of living or environment...it is wonderfully easy, IF you get a decent job.

The fella above who said he'd only been to a shopping centre and thus thought Canberra didn't have a "village/community feel" is quite typically hilarious....but at least he's been here once even if it was only to go to the supermarket !

As Wendee says, the typical Canberran response is to tell people that it's a hellhole in the hope that they don't move here.

Dont forget Canberra is the home of Australia sex industry. There's debauchery in spades in Fyshwick, Mitchell, and XXXXXX

Dont forget Canberra is the home of Australia sex industry. There's debauchery in spades in Fyshwick, Mitchell, and XXXXXX

That might bring more people in.....mysteriously it didn't appear on the centenary list of 100 great things to do in Canberra, although i know lots nominated it. Allegedly.

Guest Ptp113
That might bring more people in.....mysteriously it didn't appear on the centenary list of 100 great things to do in Canberra, although i know lots nominated it. Allegedly.

More people is the last thing we need. They can't build suburbs fast enough as it is

3 hours away on the coast there are stunning places like Merimbula which would have made a beautiful setting for the nation's capital.

In fact Eden, just south of Merimbula, was the intended capital before they changed their mind and built Canberra.

Archived