Utterly depressed....

Redrover

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why so many Vics come to North Qld and the Northern Territory in winter...:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Yes it's great that we have an easy escape from the cooler winters. Whereas of course Queenslanders have no escape from the oppressive, humid, wet, cyclone-lashed so-called summers they have to go somewhere cooler unless they go to New Zealand or somewhere!

And - in QLD you can't swim in the sea for the warmest 6 months of the year due to Jellyfish.

The best thing QLD has going for it is its PR and marketing department :biglaugh:

BB

I'm not arguing that Aussie weather isn't warmer and sunnier than UK - obviously it is - but I see the furphy about "being able to plan a BBQ" and similar frequently and I'm far from convinced

I live in Sydney. It has, on average, 138 days a year on which there is rain. In Cambridge, where I used to live, there are on average 108 days a year on which there is rain. Also total precipitation in Sydney is a lot higher, as rainfall events tend to be more intense

The past two weekends here have been cool and wet. Aussie day weekend, Saturday was OK but on Sunday and Monday it rained heavily, all day. Last weekend, Saturday it rained heavily, all day, on Sunday it was OK with a shower or two. One of the local great myths is that rain comes as short, sharp showers and not constant downfall. The media are a part of this - those past two weekends, according to the SMH website the weather forecast fro all those days when it wazzed it down was for "a shower or two", or "showers clearing". I can't remember the website ever saying "rain" or "heavy rain". They're still at it now, look:

http://weather.smh.com.au/local.jsp

Not that I'm knocking the weather here. Summers here are lovely, this summer has been a pretty good one (as compared to last year), much less wet. We do get lots of blue skies and lovely sunny days, it does get overcast but much less often than in England. But the idea that you can make arrangements for outdoor social events and be sure it will be fine is a bit of a crock. My son plays cricket on Saturday mornings, of the 9 weeks last term when he was due to play, 4 of them were disrupted by rain. This is in a decent summer and from the data, seems to be fairly typical

Just sayin'

:wink:

What he said. The stats are proof enough, but even without seeing them, it definitely feels like there is more rain here too and I do find when it rains it really stops me from doing things, more than it ever did in UK. Whole weekends are a write off, it can be torrential all day in Sydney, you just don't get that in UK.

On the other hand, I like that it never gets very, very cold in winter and I don't miss snow at all. And when the Sydney sky is blue well I can smile all day.

Thankfully the OP was asking about Melbourne, which is much much drier than Sydney, similar temperatures in summer (though Melbourne is much less humid) and cooler in winter.

There is a LOT more rain in Sydney, Brisbane etc than there is in Melbourne, which is, along with Adelaide, the driest city in Australia.

In six years here I can only remember one planned BBQ that was relocated indoors!

BB

Yes it's great that we have an easy escape from the cooler winters. Whereas of course Queenslanders have no escape from the oppressive, humid, wet, cyclone-lashed so-called summers they have to go somewhere cooler unless they go to New Zealand or somewhere! Nah! We're tough and stay the full term and don't whinge about it when the mercury goes to 38 C.

:wink:

And - in QLD you can't swim in the sea for the warmest 6 months of the year due to Jellyfish. There are plenty of places to swim, stinger suits and stinger free pools.

The best thing QLD has going for it is its PR and marketing department :biglaugh: Like the Vic number plates...Victoria-The place to be...bigemo_harabe_net-163.gif

BB

Cheers, Bobj.

Melbourne may have relatively low rainfall on paper but the reputation it has in Australia is similar to the UK, i.e. wet and gloomy. This is because Melbourne has a lot of drizzly and showery days during the cooler months, eg. April to October and is pretty much the cloudiest, grayest and darkest capital city during this time. Overall though the climate is very good in Melbourne if a bit erratic. It's not unusual for Melbourne and/or suburbs to get 40C+ temps, hail, torrential rain, drizzle, frosts, gales, snow on the hills, droughts and floods all within a period of a year or two. Also the 'four seasons in one day' thing which basically indicates that the weather can be very changeable in short periods of time.

I guess the most important thing though is that Melbourne does get plenty of sun overall. Even in winter there are often periods of a week or more where it is sunny with cold nights and mild days in amongst the cold, windy and gloomy weather, and in summer and autumn it is very sunny on average.

The downside is when you get terrible droughts like the one we are having now. It's only a short term one so far (after two of the wettest years on record) but the damage it does to vegetation and landscape is incredible. It was brilliantly green here and water and mud everywhere at the end of October last year and now it's like a nuclear holocaust has just hit.

Edited by Melb3000

those past two weekends, according to the SMH website the weather forecast fro all those days when it wazzed it down was for "a shower or two", or "showers clearing". I can't remember the website ever saying "rain" or "heavy rain". They're still at it now, look:

http://weather.smh.com.au/local.jsp

Yup! One of my bug bears ever since I came to Oz...............If they forecast rain (very rarely) it's more likely to be a flood..........................if they forecast showers, then it's likely to be a deluge. The other weird thing in my 'burb is that it can be peeing down for hours but when I leave the house and before I've travelled 1k it's bone dry and hasn't rained all day?????

Not that rain bothers us. I made a point of having a large pergola when we built and there's nothing nicer in my mind that cooking and eating outdoors whilst it's peeing down...............it's like giving a finger to the Gods!

Edited by Johndoe

The other weird thing in my 'burb is that it can be peeing down for hours but when I leave the house and before I've travelled 1k it's bone dry and hasn't rained all day?????

!

Can relate to that, we live at the end of a horseshoe shaped valley and it's definitely got it's own microclimate (with infinitely more rainfall (& humidity) then everywhere else in Cairns). We laugh about it that every time we drive back from town with clear blue skies, we look down the valley and it's grey & raining :laugh:

I don't think I've ever been as cold as living in Melbourne one winter - standing on Flinders St station with the wind whipping up unimpeded from the South Pole. Unless, of course, you count Ballarat which I think has to be the coldest place in Australia (joke, I know it isn't) and many's the time I've been there and needed to plunder Target for some cheap warm clothing.

Lovely day in Sydney today, just for the OP. Peaked at about 31C, not humid, a bit of a breeze, blue skies almost all day until about 5pm

Nipped out for a quick run this morning, took son to cricket, both of us went to visit the missus in hospital, lunch out with friends then played golf with the lad in the afternoon, came back for a swim

Just in the interests of balance, like

Forecast tomorrow is "possible thunderstorm" so I'm expecting something akin to a monsoon

:laugh:

Guest chris955

I have never understood the theory that I have heard often how it is possible to plan ahead to do something outdoors in Australia, how does that work then ? We have had many outdoor activities affected by the weather. Although the weather isnt that important to me I must say one of the many reasons I left Geelong was the weather down there.

Just arrived two weeks ago.... Australia day was fantastic. Also have been sunburnt in under an hour... be warned :) You will absolutely love it here. UK will seem like a nightmare you are trying to recal. Today its a measly 20c at least thats what the weatherwoman said! its more like 26 and lovely.

It wazzed it down again in Sydney yesterday evening and today has been solidly grey and overcast all day. Just for the doubters

:D

(I still like the climate here BTW)

Non-stop wall to wall sunshine in Melbourne for as far as the forecast can see. Temperatures high twenties - early thirties.

It doesn't get any better than that!

BB

Just arrived two weeks ago.... Australia day was fantastic. Also have been sunburnt in under an hour... be warned :) You will absolutely love it here. UK will seem like a nightmare you are trying to recal. Today its a measly 20c at least thats what the weatherwoman said! its more like 26 and lovely.

Just out of interest and further to one of my theories - would it be possible to let us know where you came from in the UK please? Just trying to understand this concept of the UK being a nightmare from which one has to escape? Thanks

....by British weather. I've been cold and wet for months.

Moving to melbourne later this year. Somebody tell me it's nice and sunny there now.

Everyone will tell you how awful Melbourne weather is - I think it is us Melbourne folks trying to keep the place to ourselves. When looking at the weather forecast we seem to have less rain than Sydney. Although we get some really hot days they don't really last for too more than a day or two so you don't get exhausted from it in the manner that you might in some areas.

Melbourne - you chose well Redrover

3pm here and it is 28C in the shade outside, was a similar temp yesterday and we are expecting some days in the higher 30's later this week..

It did rain overnight last night - excellent news for the garden.

Yep winter could be a bit warmer and dryer but the not so great days are generally interspersed with some really good days. I don't think anyone would use your phrase above that they "have been cold and wet for months" even in winter.

I used to find it funny how people in Melbourne would wear big thick coats, scarves and hats when it was 10-15 degrees. They don't know what cold is.

Yep I am one of those very sad people putting a fleece on and complaining I am getting chilly when it gets down to 21C for a couple of days in a row :yes:

Ok, just so you guys in the UK feel better and to give anyone in Australia dealing with the heat, a nice cool image, on Friday we had 40cm of snow, and tonight we have flurries, winds and it is feeling like -8

Cheers

Karen....a hardy Canadian Lol

Thanks for that Karen - it sounds like we may have another sauna outside in the coming week I will save that thought to dip my feet into.