Utterly depressed....

Redrover

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....by British weather. I've been cold and wet for months.

Moving to melbourne later this year. Somebody tell me it's nice and sunny there now.

Add about 10 deg to UK temp most of the year.

You can check out the daily and historic temp at this web site

Melbourne Real Time Temperature Observations........http://www.baywx.com/melbtemp.html

I'm sick of the weather here. I have two dog shows in April, outdoors, and to be frank I know that it will be rainy and wet and I am SICK of my dog getting wet feet on grass when I've spent two hours prepping her. This is my only gripe with the English weather. At least in Aus, I know that I can prep and not worry about getting drenched at the show.

Moving to melbourne later this year. Somebody tell me it's nice and sunny there now.

I have had the soft top roof down on my car permanently this year. So far this year it has been sunny every day except 2, and I was glad for those days as my 5000 litre tank I use to water the garden was empty. There is no rain currently on the Melbourne forecast at all.

Does that make you feel better?

BB

Might I suggest that you move to Solihull, or to Stratford-On-Avon??

Seems it's always good weather there, well, according to 2 people, that is.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Its been a very dry summer in Geelong, lovely clear days and not too hot apart from the odd day here and there.

Ominously though, this could be the start of another drought. The last one wasn't pretty, dustbowls for gardens, stage 4 water restrictions, apocolyptic predictions on storage levels...

I have had the soft top roof down on my car permanently this year. So far this year it has been sunny every day except 2, and I was glad for those days as my 5000 litre tank I use to water the garden was empty. There is no rain currently on the Melbourne forecast at all.

Does that make you feel better?

BB

Yes. Exactly what I wanted to hear.

I should pay you to send me a positive message every morning.

I'm sick of the weather here. I have two dog shows in April, outdoors, and to be frank I know that it will be rainy and wet and I am SICK of my dog getting wet feet on grass when I've spent two hours prepping her. This is my only gripe with the English weather. At least in Aus, I know that I can prep and not worry about getting drenched at the show.

I'm not arguing that Aussie weather isn't warmer and sunnier than UK - obviously it is - but I see the furphy about "being able to plan a BBQ" and similar frequently and I'm far from convinced

I live in Sydney. It has, on average, 138 days a year on which there is rain. In Cambridge, where I used to live, there are on average 108 days a year on which there is rain. Also total precipitation in Sydney is a lot higher, as rainfall events tend to be more intense

The past two weekends here have been cool and wet. Aussie day weekend, Saturday was OK but on Sunday and Monday it rained heavily, all day. Last weekend, Saturday it rained heavily, all day, on Sunday it was OK with a shower or two. One of the local great myths is that rain comes as short, sharp showers and not constant downfall. The media are a part of this - those past two weekends, according to the SMH website the weather forecast fro all those days when it wazzed it down was for "a shower or two", or "showers clearing". I can't remember the website ever saying "rain" or "heavy rain". They're still at it now, look:

http://weather.smh.com.au/local.jsp

Not that I'm knocking the weather here. Summers here are lovely, this summer has been a pretty good one (as compared to last year), much less wet. We do get lots of blue skies and lovely sunny days, it does get overcast but much less often than in England. But the idea that you can make arrangements for outdoor social events and be sure it will be fine is a bit of a crock. My son plays cricket on Saturday mornings, of the 9 weeks last term when he was due to play, 4 of them were disrupted by rain. This is in a decent summer and from the data, seems to be fairly typical

Just sayin'

:wink:

Oh I'm in no doubt that it RAINS there, when I went to QLD it rained almost the entire time! But I do know every outdoor show I've been to, my show prep has been ruined; and I've been to at least one a month all year. I also know that someone who shows the same breed, same frequency, where I'm moving to in QLD, and it's sunny at every show. Just sayin'.

It mainly rains in Melbourne during the winter, well we hope it does this year. Melbourne has less rainfall than the other capitals on the east coast. After the last drought which was just mentioned we were so pleased it did rain.

In winter the days are always ok, we only get a few really cold nights in Melbourne with frost and then after we get a glorious sunny day.

I love the weather in Melbourne, its not cold as UK but not hot as the tropics, temperate climate and I get by with a woolly jumper or cardigan, short jacket in winter, brolly in the boot.

We have a huge Kennel Club site on the Hastings Dandenong Road in Melbourne and its very well used by the doggy fraternity. Cranbourne, Carrum, Lyndhurst, Langwarrin would be the closest suburbs to it.

Pop over to the Life in Victoria forum there is a link at the foot of the page, most of the people are already here or just arriving so its a good place for support.

Guest shard60
I'm not arguing that Aussie weather isn't warmer and sunnier than UK - obviously it is - but I see the furphy about "being able to plan a BBQ" and similar frequently and I'm far from convinced

I live in Sydney. It has, on average, 138 days a year on which there is rain. In Cambridge, where I used to live, there are on average 108 days a year on which there is rain. Also total precipitation in Sydney is a lot higher, as rainfall events tend to be more intense

The past two weekends here have been cool and wet. Aussie day weekend, Saturday was OK but on Sunday and Monday it rained heavily, all day. Last weekend, Saturday it rained heavily, all day, on Sunday it was OK with a shower or two. One of the local great myths is that rain comes as short, sharp showers and not constant downfall. The media are a part of this - those past two weekends, according to the SMH website the weather forecast fro all those days when it wazzed it down was for "a shower or two", or "showers clearing". I can't remember the website ever saying "rain" or "heavy rain". They're still at it now, look:

http://weather.smh.com.au/local.jsp

Not that I'm knocking the weather here. Summers here are lovely, this summer has been a pretty good one (as compared to last year), much less wet. We do get lots of blue skies and lovely sunny days, it does get overcast but much less often than in England. But the idea that you can make arrangements for outdoor social events and be sure it will be fine is a bit of a crock. My son plays cricket on Saturday mornings, of the 9 weeks last term when he was due to play, 4 of them were disrupted by rain. This is in a decent summer and from the data, seems to be fairly typical

Just sayin'

Are you sure? Sydney has more rain than Cambridge, I find that hard to believe.

Are you sure? Sydney has more rain than Cambridge, I find that hard to believe.

Believe it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Sydney

"The average annual rainfall in the city, with moderate to low variability, is 1,217 mm (48 in), falling on an average 138 days a year."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge#Climate

Cambridge averages around 570mm rain per year, with average days with rain of 108 (that last stat not from that link but easily findable)

In other words, Cambridge has less than half the rain and fewer wet days

Not quite the story that's sold, is it? I re-emphasise that I'm not knocking the climate here, on the contrary; I like it. I even liked the fact that Christmas day this year was another of those where it was grey and solidly raining all day - Xmas Eve was scorchio, and with a heavily pregnant wife I could have done without 35C when I was trying to cook Xmas dinner.......

EDIT: It's also worth pointing out that the weather here is much more predictable - 4 or 5 days out the forecasts are usually fairly accurate (when they're not lying about rain by calling it "a shower or two") whereas a 5 day forecast in the UK is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard

Edited by northshorepom

Been here since September (spring) and the weather is far better than what we had in East Lancashire.

It's true that when it rains it rains heavy, but it's not cold compared to the UK. From all the people I have spoken to Winter here is like an English Spring or Autumn, just make sure you bring a few brolly's.

When I was going through the recruitment process for my Australian job last June / July, it became a game of weather Top Trumps with my recruiter. He would complain it was wet and cold at 12 degress. yet that was the same weather conditions back in Blighty during our so called summer

Come on in the water's lovely!

Edited by gwolst77

Bit chilly in winter and the odd day we had to wear rain coats walking to school but never had to don the whole fleece plus coat and hat, scarves and wellies kit that was the winter staple in the UK. You will probably never have to scrape your car clear of frost again (depending how far inland you'll be living)

Even in winter you can wear a wet suit and still swim and surf - though that will "out" you as a Pom ;-)

Personally I'm not a big fan of the plus 35 degree days but there's not been more than 5 of those in our last 7 months - the climate is one of the reasons we chose Victoria over other States.

I do find it nicer to get on with life when the sun is shining - even makes grocery shopping more pleasant :-)

I used to find it funny how people in Melbourne would wear big thick coats, scarves and hats when it was 10-15 degrees. They don't know what cold is.

I was driving home from work yesterday and it was about 24 degrees. I passed a young girl and she had a coat, boots and a bob hat on. Looked like she had come from the ski slopes. I reckon she must have come down from Darwin or something.

Believe it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Sydney

"The average annual rainfall in the city, with moderate to low variability, is 1,217 mm (48 in), falling on an average 138 days a year."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge#Climate

Cambridge averages around 570mm rain per year, with average days with rain of 108 (that last stat not from that link but easily findable)

In other words, Cambridge has less than half the rain and fewer wet days

Not quite the story that's sold, is it? I re-emphasise that I'm not knocking the climate here, on the contrary; I like it. I even liked the fact that Christmas day this year was another of those where it was grey and solidly raining all day - Xmas Eve was scorchio, and with a heavily pregnant wife I could have done without 35C when I was trying to cook Xmas dinner.......

EDIT: It's also worth pointing out that the weather here is much more predictable - 4 or 5 days out the forecasts are usually fairly accurate (when they're not lying about rain by calling it "a shower or two") whereas a 5 day forecast in the UK is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard

Seem to remember the forecast in the UK being about the same every day. Fine, overcast with a chance of a shower . When you went anywhere you were wise to take some wet gear "just in case". Made me wonder why they bothered having forecasters.

Been in Sydney a few times when we've had rain. Nowhere near as settled as Perth gets and the forecast is usually spot on a few days in advance. They are forecasting rain and storms for next Monday, Tuesday. It will be the first rain, or even clouds, for a couple of months.

Seem to remember the forecast in the UK being about the same every day. Fine, overcast with a chance of a shower . When you went anywhere you were wise to take some wet gear "just in case". Made me wonder why they bothered having forecasters.

They're quite accurate up to about 48 hours out but beyond that, rapidly gets pointless. Not a lot they can do at the mercy of the North Atlantic and the effect it has on the weather

I used to post on Tripadvisor forums - the UK one is full of Americans visiting, from some states in the US you can predict the weather a long way in advance. It always amused me when people said they'd "checked the 10 day weather forecast" and were packing appropriately as a result

:laugh: