Has poms in oz had its day

Jake max

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am an Australian returning home in June/July after nearly 40 years away.

To retirement. To sun. And surf. And sand. (Sadly too late for the sex bit now I am an old-age codger. :laugh:).

And this site has been invaluable with its hints and tips and advice on everything from TLN numbers, medicare, taking your pet, pension information etc. etc. etc.

Even though my family are Australian and live there, they don't know the answers to what I need to do to become intergrated once I am back home, as effectively I am more like an immigrant than an Aussie due to the length of time I have been away.

So thank you very much, PIO. You have made a stressful situation much less stressful through all the invaluable information posted here, by all the wonderful people who take the time and effort to provide help and advice.

There must be a lot more people like me around, who one day will find PIO, and appreciate just what a wonderful service is being provided.

And yes, once I am back home, I will still continue to visit this site. Once a PIO addict, always a PIO addict.

To retirement. To sun. And surf. And sand. (Sadly too late for the sex bit now I am an old-age codger. :laugh:).

And this site has been invaluable with its hints and tips and advice on everything from TLN numbers, medicare, taking your pet, pension information etc. etc. etc.

Even though my family are Australian and live there, they don't know the answers to what I need to do to become intergrated once I am back home, as effectively I am more like an immigrant than an Aussie due to the length of time I have been away.

So thank you very much, PIO. You have made a stressful situation much less stressful through all the invaluable information posted here, by all the wonderful people who take the time and effort to provide help and advice.

There must be a lot more people like me around, who one day will find PIO, and appreciate just what a wonderful service is being provided.

And yes, once I am back home, I will still continue to visit this site. Once a PIO addict, always a PIO addict.

Good luck mate, Aus is a great place to retire. The whole place is a retirement village:wink:

Wow,40 yrs ago?How was it back then?Did you come over with the intention of staying that long?

I sometimes wonder if I should have stayed a bit longer in the UK until I reached retirement age as I've found it difficult to get a job since I came back to Sydney. But, on the other hand, I've made so many new friends and had wonderful new experiences.

PS Don't give up on the 'sex' just yet!

Edited by MARYROSE02

I think the foum is a goldmine of useful information for would-be migrants and a useful source of support for those who have made the move. If there has been a change in the past couple of years, it is the downturn in the Australian economy whilst prices continue to soar. That makes the move from the UK much more of a gamble than it used to be.

If there are two types on PIO who drive me mad, it's

a) I am a racist and I have a problem with foreigners - therefore I decided to become one in Australia.

b) I left my wife and kids in Australia but now I want to move back with my new wife and her kids - how can I get a court order to take them away from their real dad (oh, and I'm thinking of having the kids' dog put down to save the cost of taking it with us)?

IMO, it's types (a) and (b) above who bring the site into disrepute and will put off new members.

I think the foum is a goldmine of useful information for would-be migrants and a useful source of support for those who have made the move. If there has been a change in the past couple of years, it is the downturn in the Australian economy whilst prices continue to soar. That makes the move from the UK much more of a gamble than it used to be.

If there are two types on PIO who drive me mad, it's

a) I am a racist and I have a problem with foreigners - therefore I decided to become one in Australia.

b) I left my wife and kids in Australia but now I want to move back with my new wife and her kids - how can I get a court order to take them away from their real dad (oh, and I'm thinking of having the kids' dog put down to save the cost of taking it with us)?

IMO, it's types (a) and (b) above who bring the site into disrepute and will put off new members.

You forgot type c).

I sometimes wonder if I should have stayed a bit longer in the UK until I reached retirement age as I've found it difficult to get a job since I came back to Sydney. But, on the other hand, I've made so many new friends and had wonderful new experiences.

PS Don't give up on the 'sex' just yet!

You offering MR? That's quite a welcome home for BacktoLife. Good on ya!

Well I don't really (or rarely) get involved in the social scene.... I'm in Australia now, having come on a 457 and now with PR. I don't really research anything on here...

BUT I guess I stick around because I have negotiated the 457 process and the (post first July) PR process without an agent. I would consider myself someone who is able to interpret (often ambiguous) wording of documents on DIAC, and I think I may be able to help others. At least in the immediate future, whilst the post July changes are so new, there are not too many of us that have been granted PR visas in the category I'm in, so any help I can provide, I am happy to give.

Aside from that, we have set up from scratch, so can give some advice on that too.

As someone has quite rightfully said, if we all left the moment we got our visas etc then it wouldn't be the resource it is. My thoughts are that to get a lot in life, you need to give a little, so that's what I'm trying to do.

Edited by Tickled Pink

How do you find poms in oz now would you still use the site once you have found out the information

you require ?

Has it run its course or is it still useful for?

Is the information on offer reliable has it helped?

There is the odd fool thats been round the world on the back of a dolphine.....you know the ones that think what they have to say is what everyone wants to hear......a spade is a spade types....other than that the hundreds that log on prove the site is popular and there is plenty of good advice available.....has it run its course???.....thats a tricky one.....with the explosion of the internet in recent years and the hundreds and thousands of other chatrooms available....facebook....twitter its no mean feat to keep anyone of them at the top of the list......Is it any coincidence that the owners of the site are the ones posting all the "sensational" and "headline grabbing" threads and the most people ever on-line at one time was nearly 2 years ago.....suggest to me that maybe things aren't as rosey as they may at first appear.

The migration side of the site must be invaluable to potential migrants, and is the main benefit of this website. The news and CTF forums could be good, but are ruined by the admin and mods! Shame really.....

There would be discussions in CTF without the admin and mods, just a few people holding forth about how right they are

There is the odd fool thats been round the world on the back of a dolphine.....you know the ones that think what they have to say is what everyone wants to hear......a spade is a spade types....other than that the hundreds that log on prove the site is popular and there is plenty of good advice available.....has it run its course???.....thats a tricky one.....with the explosion of the internet in recent years and the hundreds and thousands of other chatrooms available....facebook....twitter its no mean feat to keep anyone of them at the top of the list......Is it any coincidence that the owners of the site are the ones posting all the "sensational" and "headline grabbing" threads and the most people ever on-line at one time was nearly 2 years ago.....suggest to me that maybe things aren't as rosey as they may at first appear.

I was under the impression that someone who 'calls a spade a spade' is honest and to the point, if perhaps blunt, and what does it mean 'on the back of a dolphin(e)?

Also, who are the 'owners' of the site?

Things seem rosey enough for me. We are not on here to make money.

The migration side of the site must be invaluable to potential migrants, and is the main benefit of this website. The news and CTF forums could be good, but are ruined by the admin and mods! Shame really.....

Sorry you feel that way .. perhaps as the title says PIO has run it's course for you.

I was under the impression that someone who 'calls a spade a spade' is honest and to the point, if perhaps blunt, and what does it mean 'on the back of a dolphin(e)?

Also, who are the 'owners' of the site?

Things seem rosey enough for me. We are not on here to make money.

Kate and Rob (admin) are the owners, I'm grateful that don't charge us a joining fee lol

So Nigerians are ratbags?

Oh well, everyone's a little bit racist...

You must be dumb or you would know exactly what I mean. 'Nigerian' has become, just as 'Hoover' is a catch-all word for vacumn cleaners, a 'catch-all' word for scams, nothing ****ing racist but you are right. Everyone is racist, sexist, homophobic - and there is nothing more homophobic and anti-women than the Church in Nigeria but of course someone like yourself only sees racism, and other prejudices in white people.

Guest The Pom Queen
Is it any coincidence that the owners of the site are the ones posting all the "sensational" and "headline grabbing" threads and the most people ever on-line at one time was nearly 2 years ago.....suggest to me that maybe things aren't as rosey as they may at first appear.

The owners post sensational stories, well that has to be me as Rob hardly posts at all and don't worry about it as I was doing this for the 2 years before we even took over the site, the difference is now I can't get infracted for it :wink: I was a member before we owned the site and in my eyes I will always be a member first.

In regards to the most people on line, that doesn't mean anything, it's the site stats that tell you everything you need to know.

Guest The Pom Queen

I'm sorry as a new member you feel this way, but for the last 9 years PIO has run successfully and grown in size. Maybe like Ali says this isn't the right forum for you, there are plenty of others out there, maybe tell us what your interests are and we can help you find one that you are happy with. :ssign15:

In regards to the most people on line, that doesn't mean anything, it's the site stats that tell you everything you need to know.

I agree the site stats in terms of visits per day, unique visits, posts per day and the like are the important/relevant ones

Quoting total "membership", however, isn't. Every account that has ever been registered on here (except those you've closed at request) counts as a "member" and the majority of those are not active members, even setting aside the multiple accounts that will exist. So I don't reckon you should make membership claims when it comes to popularity, unless you're going to do it by the number of people who have actively posted/visited the forum in, say, the previous 3 or 6 months