What`s your hobby?

Maruska

Tbh i think i'd rather learn german or italian than french again but probably best to stick to what i know a bit of! I'll check to see if theres any local classes, i saw that the bbc were doing online courses.

You've just reminded me that when i was a lot younger i decided i randomly decided i wanted to learn russian so got a book out the library, took one look at it and thought "hell no!" Lol

I listen to Spanish music a lot and found that this helped me .... maybe listening to artists such as Enrique ... and Jo Lo singing in Spanish would be a nice easy start ... I also listen to Andrea Bochelli and now understand some Italian, but couldn't speak it ... the same for Jane Birkin singing in French.... because we are curious we either look up what it means or work it out ..... simples and very enjoyable ... just be careful though that all your conversations arent about sex and or breaking up :wink: ..... listen to the joining words, I found in Spanish the most difficult part was the grammar and considering gramma is a subject I studied and taking into account that Spanish has very few words compared to English I have always wondered why their grammar was so darn complicated .....

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

George .... I too an into Hi Fi love a really cool sound system, nothing better ... we have just bought a fantastic wifeless system, it was expensive, but given the amount of time I spend at home as well the the amount of music I listen to it made sense to buy the best we could afford .... we have a separate play box in the lounge / kitchen so that I can listen to it when I am sat on the terrace and or in those rooms, it is also linked .. wirelessly to the media room, but I can group or ungroup them, so if I am as i am now listening to Enrique and am dusting the media room I can group thus able to listen to his sexy voice in both rooms, a bit like piped music, good also for listening to the news via the TV .... it can be heard in the kitchen .... excellent system .. as I said not cheap but one of the best on the market ... on top of being referred to MOG ( a music streaming membership .. imperative to anyone who loves music, and doesn't want to keep on buying cd's) the surround sound / hi fi system is one of the best purchases we have made since moving here ... oh we got it fixed up because I didn't want to cock it all up :laugh:

Guest guest76088

I like your style.

BigD

George .... I too an into Hi Fi love a really cool sound system, nothing better ... we have just bought a fantastic wifeless system, it was expensive, but given the amount of time I spend at home as well the the amount of music I listen to it made

Music, music and music however in my view the greatest sound is analogue and not digital. Although convenient digital simply does not compare to the warm sound with the occasional static pop of vinyl. Now just the issue of transporting over 5000 records!

​S

Music, music and music however in my view the greatest sound is analogue and not digital. Although convenient digital simply does not compare to the warm sound with the occasional static pop of vinyl. Now just the issue of transporting over 5000 records!

​S

Wow .. records ... I loved them, I haven't played a vinyl record since the 80's ... I had so many first day covers on vinyl but left then behind when we left the UK, I still have a copy though of The Laughing Gnome by David Bowie ... on Derham my dad bought if for me ... and it is a bit of an heirloom, actually I still think I have it, must double check that my OH hasn't thrown it out ....

Guest hoffer

P7020983.jpg

In the UK this is one of my hobbies. Actually most of my hobbies are classic VW based. Think I will need to find some non car based hobbies being how expensive they are when we move

Guest hoffer

would love to but they are a nightmare to register correctly so the v5 doesn't match as well as it could. Its not an issue here but getting it through customs looks like a minefield

Guest chris955
would love to but they are a nightmare to register correctly so the v5 doesn't match as well as it could. Its not an issue here but getting it through customs looks like a minefield

Oh yes they are sticklers for the tiniest detail. Then you have the people at the registration department that havent got a clue what they are looking at. We took a bike over years ago, worth about $25k, took it to be registered and because we had to pay stamp duty on the value told them it was worth $5k. They didnt even know what it was :)

Any surfers here? I gave my husband an introductory surfing lesson as an anniversary gift. He came back worn out but happy:biggrin:. Thinking about trying it and I would love for the kids to learn as well.

Hi there

I am moving to Oz soon and one of my goals is to do the Scuba Diving Instructors course.

I am thinking about doing a 10 hour PADI course before I leave for Oz, because it's on offer for £49 instead of £175, do you think this will give me a little head start for when I get out there and do the Instructors course or do you think I will be better off just starting from scratch when I get over there?

I don't fancy the North Sea, I think you are quite brave

Diving in the UK is awful. My husband trained as a Scuba Diving Instructor there, before we moved across the water. Previously we had both just dived in warm water but diving in the UK was like diving in mud. He needed dry suits etc. Not nice at all. The course that is on offer is only the pool section and not the outdoor qualifying dives, so you are best to do it all out here, so you don't forget all the theory between the time you leave the UK and take the course here. Equally, if the instructor here is not happy with your level of knowledge or ability, chances are you will get dinged for the whole course anyway.

Start from scratch when you are out here. There are some fabulous dive schools with very reasonable prices, particularly if you join the local group and go out regularly with them. However I would consider buying some gear in the UK (wetsuit, mask, snorkel and fins etc) and bringing them out with you as they are horrendously expensive here. I would not go for BCD and the really expensive stuff as you may not enjoy diving, but mask, snorkell and fins can be used for snorkelling as well.

Are you aware of just how many courses you will need to do before doing your instructor qualification? You have to have 40 dives just to do Rescue Diver, 60 to get Dive Master and over 100 to be able to sit the Dive Instructor exam.

Hoffer

If you want to send me a PM with your email on it, I can forward it to my husband when he gets back next week. He has just been through the same V5 issue with a Land Rover Series 3 which he modified and replaced the engine in, which we plan to ship once some final bits and pieces are completed on it. He will be able to tell you how to sort it out.

Regards

C

I mystery shop. I've done it in the UK, Canada and now here. It's marvellous as I get paid to go shopping, eat in restaurants and stay in nice hotels for minimum effort. Admittedly I haven't done the hotel stays since I have been here but they are not very easy to do when you have children as you are only allowed to stay on your own or with partner, and we don't have a babysitter who could stay overnight. I work with a really good company over here, each shop tends to take 15 - 20 minutes and then it takes anything from 10 - 20 minutes to fill in the feedback form and scan and email the receipt back. Sometimes I make a purchase (which I get refunded up to certain limits), sometimes I just make an enquiry, plus I get pay on top. It's only a nominal amount but as I do shops I would go to anyway, it's easy and fun. I particularly like lunchtime restaurant shops!

I race motorbikes here in belgium, but plan on swapping that for boating and fishing when I move back "home"... but until then it's full throttle all the way :cool:

Racing takes up all my free time when not spending it with GF and daughter... OOOhhhhh and I love a drink :laugh:

I mystery shop. I've done it in the UK, Canada and now here. It's marvellous as I get paid to go shopping, eat in restaurants and stay in nice hotels for minimum effort. Admittedly I haven't done the hotel stays since I have been here but they are not very easy to do when you have children as you are only allowed to stay on your own or with partner, and we don't have a babysitter who could stay overnight. I work with a really good company over here, each shop tends to take 15 - 20 minutes and then it takes anything from 10 - 20 minutes to fill in the feedback form and scan and email the receipt back. Sometimes I make a purchase (which I get refunded up to certain limits), sometimes I just make an enquiry, plus I get pay on top. It's only a nominal amount but as I do shops I would go to anyway, it's easy and fun. I particularly like lunchtime restaurant shops!

I fancy doing that! Are there any companies that i should take a look at for jobs?

Diving in the UK is awful. My husband trained as a Scuba Diving Instructor there, before we moved across the water. Previously we had both just dived in warm water but diving in the UK was like diving in mud. He needed dry suits etc. Not nice at all. The course that is on offer is only the pool section and not the outdoor qualifying dives, so you are best to do it all out here, so you don't forget all the theory between the time you leave the UK and take the course here. Equally, if the instructor here is not happy with your level of knowledge or ability, chances are you will get dinged for the whole course anyway.

Start from scratch when you are out here. There are some fabulous dive schools with very reasonable prices, particularly if you join the local group and go out regularly with them. However I would consider buying some gear in the UK (wetsuit, mask, snorkel and fins etc) and bringing them out with you as they are horrendously expensive here. I would not go for BCD and the really expensive stuff as you may not enjoy diving, but mask, snorkell and fins can be used for snorkelling as well.

Are you aware of just how many courses you will need to do before doing your instructor qualification? You have to have 40 dives just to do Rescue Diver, 60 to get Dive Master and over 100 to be able to sit the Dive Instructor exam.

Hi there

Thanks for the info and for confirming what I thought about diving in the UK. I will definitely wait till I get to Oz but will have a look about here for the equipment. I have space in my boxes I am shipping.

I understand that it will take a long time and a lot of dives to get to instructor level but I will give it a go then if I like it I will make a commitment to working my way up. Once I decide to do something I always follow it through to the end which is a good job as I started the journey to Oz almost 8 years ago by changing my career to become a pastry chef. I also think it will be a good way of meeting people and becoming part of a group which I think I may need as I am making the move on my own.

Cheers

I fancy doing that! Are there any companies that i should take a look at for jobs?

I used to shop for these companies in the UK:

http://www.tnsglobal.com/work-for-us/mystery-shopper

https://www.xec.gapbuster.com/Login.aspx?culture=en-us

You can google other companies. I will PM you with the details of one company to avoid as they have repeatedly refused to pay up for shops and having done some online research on them, am not alone in my experience of them.

Be aware that you never need to pay to register as a Mystery Shopper with a legitimate company.

TNS are particularly good and had some very interesting assignments.

In Australia "Shop Angels: is a good company to mystery shop for.

Archived