Adelaide: A better Britain?

Cerberus1

The Govt of South Australia released a report at the beginning of the week titled "When the British built Adelaide, they wanted to build a better Britain". The report was commissioned to coincide with the Queens' Diamond Jubilee year.

The report is available at http://www.southaustraliagov.co.uk/media/45414/Adelaide%20report%20-%20Final%20Sign%20Off%20MH.pdf

Amongst the findings:

The research showed that six out of ten (59%) British families want to move abroad to escape the miserable British weather, economic downturn, expensive housing, bad manners and dwindling community spirit. However, nearly two thirds (65%) say the country they move to must have a 'sense of Britishness', with shared values and traditions, making Adelaide a desirable choice.

Nearly two thirds (63%) of families believe Adelaide has a strong community spirit where people have time for one another and look out for their neighbours.

Over three quarters (78%) claim Adelaide has a laid back, relaxed way of life where people are optimistic about the future with a ‘can do’ attitude to life.

Eight out of ten (81%) families believe they have a work/life balance that allows them to spend enough time with their family.

To make it easier for families to move abroad, the South Australian government has launched the 'Best of British' site offering guidance on how to emigrate to Adelaide.

Guest chris955

Once again, it is this perception that somewhere else must be better. I am interested to know where these 6 out of 10 families are as we dont know anyone doing it or planning it.

Its nothing like the UK! The locals are not that friendly. The driving is s..t! My 3 year old drives better. The house cost more than the UK. Gas, Elec,Water and food cost more than the UK. As yet we have not seen this work life balance because as soon as they no you are british there is not one. Yes the sun does shine but not all the time.

• 3 weeks later...
Its nothing like the UK! The locals are not that friendly. The driving is s..t! My 3 year old drives better. The house cost more than the UK. Gas, Elec,Water and food cost more than the UK. As yet we have not seen this work life balance because as soon as they no you are british there is not one. Yes the sun does shine but not all the time.

Go back to the uk then .... Simple

the govt of south australia released a report at the beginning of the week titled "when the british built adelaide, they wanted to build a better britain". The report was commissioned to coincide with the queens' diamond jubilee year.

The report is available at http://www.southaustraliagov.co.uk/media/45414/adelaide%20report%20-%20final%20sign%20off%20mh.pdf

amongst the findings:

the research showed that six out of ten (59%) british families want to move abroad to escape the miserable british weather, economic downturn, expensive housing, bad manners and dwindling community spirit. However, nearly two thirds (65%) say the country they move to must have a 'sense of britishness', with shared values and traditions, making adelaide a desirable choice.

Nearly two thirds (63%) of families believe adelaide has a strong community spirit where people have time for one another and look out for their neighbours.

Over three quarters (78%) claim adelaide has a laid back, relaxed way of life where people are optimistic about the future with a ‘can do’ attitude to life.

Eight out of ten (81%) families believe they have a work/life balance that allows them to spend enough time with their family.

To make it easier for families to move abroad, the south australian government has launched the 'best of british' site offering guidance on how to emigrate to adelaide.

******WARNING: Propaganda alert******

I just wonder if this site is actually overrun by Australians trying to keep the British out, yes Australia is not the paradise that many want to believe, but as a middle income family who's quality of life in the uk was crap because our disposable income was systematically erroded by the uk system to the point where the Aus move was the only feesable way of getting more family time and less of the "ships passing in the night" scenario we had found ourselves in. If your reading this in the uk, come with an open mind and really understand what you want in life and if the Australian life could meet them requirements, give it a go. We come here with the attitude of giving it a real go, going to meet ups and determined to make it work, yes the first few months have been tough at times. But I am in no doubt if we do turn round and come back, then we can say we really tried to make it work.. We are living in Melbourne and all cities are different, but life is great here and we are so glad we made the move. At the moment the only time we will go back is for a holiday.

Give it a go... Your a long time dead and yes it might cost you a stack of money, but you can't take it with you. :)

I'm from Adelaide,and yes I might of agreed with the OP post 30 years ago,but now???My family live in Adelaide but its not somewhere I'd like to live personally.I have lived rurally in SA and much prefer that.As for the 6 out of 10?Not sure how accurate that is.I always seem to get a mixed bag of reactions when people inevitably ask where I'm from (its my damn accent,can't shake it off lol)from "Oh I'd love to live in Australia"to "I'd hate the heat and bugs,snakes and what not"I often wonder....if they showed a show called "Wanted in Blighty"to entice would be aussie immigrants to the UK,what do you think they'd show? They'd show maybe a nice country cottage with land,talk to the owners who would then tell the aussies they spend lots of time outside,go to the local where there is fantastic community spirit,head into the nearest town/city where they have all the amenities they need.They'd mention of course the availability of work,and that the aussies won't have any problems finding work.The kids?Well they have a great school in the village,and wow you don't even have to pay for it!They also have access to after school sports clubs/girl guides etc.They interview other aussies who have apparently made it,and are then shown their own Mc Mansion.Other benefits include cheap os holidays to whereever you desire,and don't forget you also embrace a great work/life balance!........

Go back to the uk then .... Simple

Thats not very nice is it! We have only been here 8 mths and in that 8 mths most of our things got here broken or not at all. The 3 jobs offers were good till we came back and they were no more! The job my OH got he broke his hand and work because of his boss did not mending things in the work shop so because of that we could not get a rental. My kids have been very badly bullied at school. Its been very hard for us so do not be so quick to tell people to back!

• 2 weeks later...

All I can say is we moved here 3 years ago and overall have no regrets. It isn't easy by any means leaving behind all you know - friends, family, etc. but if you're willing to give it a fair go, it's a great lifestyle. It isn't 'Britain in the sun', it's Australia. Most of the locals are friendly. We've encountered virtually no negativity from them. Make no mistake, you won't be welcomed with open arms. If you are expecting that, you will be very disappointed. But if you're willing to make the effort, Aussies generally speaking are very accepting of who you are and non-judgemental. They are, by and large, straight 'John Bull', don't like airs and graces and tell it just how it is. The cost of living here has risen quite a bit over the last few years, fuel prices, utilities, groceries have all gone up but I guess that's the same everywhere. I think things have levelled off a little lately and some prices seem to be falling a little. Like anywhere, it pays to shop around. My only advice is that if you do come, then come with an open mind and be willing to give it a fair go.

• 3 weeks later...

A REPLY TO: PUDSEYPOMS COMMENT DIRECTED AT RACHEL

You said "Go back to the uk then .... Simple"

Do you need to be so rude? Are you so narrow minded that someone cannot state how they feel or express their perception? Regardless of whether you are a Brit or Oz a certain amount of tolerance for another persons view point is called maturity and frankly you don't have to agree you can even choose to ignore it if you don't agree or even post a counter point of view. Being rude doesn't really add any value.

Edited by GlobeTrotta

• 3 weeks later...
All I can say is we moved here 3 years ago and overall have no regrets. It isn't easy by any means leaving behind all you know - friends, family, etc. but if you're willing to give it a fair go, it's a great lifestyle. It isn't 'Britain in the sun', it's Australia. Most of the locals are friendly. We've encountered virtually no negativity from them. Make no mistake, you won't be welcomed with open arms. If you are expecting that, you will be very disappointed. But if you're willing to make the effort, Aussies generally speaking are very accepting of who you are and non-judgemental. They are, by and large, straight 'John Bull', don't like airs and graces and tell it just how it is. The cost of living here has risen quite a bit over the last few years, fuel prices, utilities, groceries have all gone up but I guess that's the same everywhere. I think things have levelled off a little lately and some prices seem to be falling a little. Like anywhere, it pays to shop around. My only advice is that if you do come, then come with an open mind and be willing to give it a fair go.

Cannot disagree with any of that...

Thats not very nice is it! We have only been here 8 mths and in that 8 mths most of our things got here broken or not at all. The 3 jobs offers were good till we came back and they were no more! The job my OH got he broke his hand and work because of his boss did not mending things in the work shop so because of that we could not get a rental. My kids have been very badly bullied at school. Its been very hard for us so do not be so quick to tell people to back!

FIFO. You need to learn what it means and quickly.

• 3 weeks later...

Great post Warrior Steve. Why go to your grave wondering what it would have been like if i has just given things a go. i want to go to my grave at 100 mph say WOW, what a ride.

You have to plan for some bumps along the way on your move down under, if you dont, it will bite you. life isnt all sun sand and sea, but its a darn sight better than a chilly, windy day in Scarborough (N Yorks), maybe not for the icecream and fish and chips ;-)

If you want work then you need to keep trying, no one is going to call and give you a well paid job without you earning it. As for Aussies, try integrating yourselves into their communities, show them you are willing to do things their way and you will be rewarded with friendships. BUT, dont come here expecting it to be like the UK, it isnt, this is why many of us live here and not the UK.

• 1 month later...

really sorry , but how can you blame Australia ( Adelaide ) for your things arriving broken , surely that was the shipping company !! you seem to be blaming every thing on australia , in my view , you make your own luck , we have found all the Australians friendly and have made some great friends , its their country , dont try change it , embrace it !!!

globe trotta ,

i can assure you i am neither rude or narrow minded , but the post was blaming Australia for there shipping being damaged and other things , every thing they said was negative. We hear so much of people blaming Australia for silly little things!! Moving to another country is a very big step, and can be very overwhelming at times.

It can be a very emotional time, staying strong and positive is a important step in integrating.

For us as a family embracing Australia and all it has to offer has helped us settle here perfectly even with all the ups and downs.

all peoples points of view count!! whether or not we agree with whats been said and will always add value to all sides of the argument, has a senior member you should know that.....

i would always wish anyone coming over to australia good luck and wishing them well

really sorry , but how can you blame Australia ( Adelaide ) for your things arriving broken , surely that was the shipping company !! you seem to be blaming every thing on australia , in my view , you make your own luck , we have found all the Australians friendly and have made some great friends , its their country , dont try change it , embrace it !!!

Easy enough to appropiate blame after a sucession of downers. Normal human reaction. Have you never heard Aussies down on UK? Luck is by it's very virture just that. We can't make it but can try to entice it.

I knew a couple of Adelaide born folk met in UK, who regreted returning to Adelaide,over the course of a few years due at least in part to the closed off nature of the locals. One went from being a outgoing fellow in London to suffering depression and put on medication and lost contact in time with everyone.

Other is finally moving out to live in an Asian location full time. A common complaint made though was it being cliquey. Adeaide is far from unique amoung Australian cities for being that way inclined though.

Nice place for a visit and for certain types to decamp for sure. A better Britain was nothing more than a PR stunt to drum up interest over in UK in a state that failed to capture the imagination of immigrants by and large from other sources, making it the least attractive of the main states in folk moving in.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest 47403
Easy enough to appropiate blame after a sucession of downers. Normal human reaction. Have you never heard Aussies down on UK? Luck is by it's very virture just that. We can't make it but can try to entice it.

I knew a couple of Adelaide born folk met in UK, who regreted returning to Adelaide,over the course of a few years due at least in part to the closed off nature of the locals. One went from being a outgoing fellow in London to suffering depression and put on medication and lost contact in time with everyone.

Other is finally moving out to live in an Asian location full time. A common complaint made though was it being cliquey. Adeaide is far from unique amoung Australian cities for being that way inclined though.

Nice place for a visit and for certain types to decamp for sure. A better Britain was nothing more than a PR stunt to drum up interest over in UK in a state that failed to capture the imagination of immigrants by and large from other sources, making it the least attractive of the main states in folk moving in.

And there folks is a classic example of a PIO sweeping generalisations :laugh: