My findings back in the UK

Guest chris955

Guest chris955
Unfortunately I have found over the years living here in Aus that Aus in social sense is about 10 years behind Europe, I just wish the people would not catch up with the anti social ways and things that start to happen here. For instance we used to be graffiti free, lots of Brits now remark on our graffiti, catch up of a negative kind. Falling out the boozers fighting etc catch up of another negative.

So I would rather we just went on being Aus without any influences as most of the negatives ones seem to find their way here.

As for this thread, the op has returned he loves it and good for you, but for goodness sake spend some time enjoying the village life. I have an excuse for being on PIO a lot, I have a oh who is seriously ill, I need to be around most of the time. I also am retired.

However if I returned to that wonderful cottage in UK with roses round the door, no cars parked all over the place, wing mirrors not needing to be bent in, I would be rambling around the woods having a wonderful time.

I lived in Australia for many years and have seen all those things over those years, they havent just suddenly started appearing there. My brother was glassed in a pub fight 30 years ago, these things have always existed. I think it is incredible wishful thinking to say Australia is somehow 10 years behind in these things.

I spend probably 1% of my time on here, that still gives me 99% to enjoy our village :)

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest17301

Re..you don't know what you got till it,s gone...I think this is very true and it hits some people so hard they're left reeling! It's a costly way to discover what's really important for your overall happiness but I doubt many returnees would regreoti the experience? After all our experiences shape us and make us think about life, love and the universe in different ways....we sometimes need a massive reality check....

then there's a whole bunch of people for whom the reality of living in Australia outweighs what they left behind however good it was....that applies to me and my husband...holidaying in England and being looked after, loved and cherished, treated and taken out, people keen as mustard to meet up..that's not how it is in reality..even my Dad agreed that we have spent more quality time in a 3 week visit than we would in a whole year of living in the same country. I thinkmwe have the best of both world

Guest guest74886
Not from Australia they don't PB. I've posted the official statistics several times (with links to the source data:- http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publications/statistics/). Feel free to read them sometime. Admittedly, I've only got official govt stats to go off, but I'd wager that they're a damn site closer to the real figures than yours are.

Number of people departing Australia permanently (who were born in the UK)

2010-2011 7,173

2009-2010 7,127

2008-2009 6,160

2007-2008 6,047

2006-2007 5,626

2005-2006 5,353

Total 37,486

Hi Cerberus1

Very interesting statistics, most interesting that the number leaving is rising altho you could argue that that is due to the increase in numbers arriving between 2006-2007 to 2010, overall it is almost 23% of the figure arriving over the time period you are looking at, even if you say that 5% of those returning belong to an earlier period of emigration it is still 18% returning over that 6 year period, if I was running Australia Inc I would want to seriously investigate why I was losing somewhere in the order of 20% of my customers and that those losses were badmouthing me to my potential customer base overseas.

That is what dismays me about Australia, no one bothers in the least to do any real research around Social Policy and tailor some initiatives to address problems that are identified, I am left feeling very strongly that the Australians are only interested in exploiting immigrants and they really care very little about them, they seem to work on the principle that there is an endless queue of people wanting to come here.

That may have been the case in the past but with the growth of social networks such as this one that can no longer be guaranteed, the rest of the developed world seems to have a much more sophisticated approach of wanting to only get the best of the immigrants and to make sure that they are then well looked after rather than have all these piddling regulations which make entry as difficult as possible here and are set up to allow as much discretion to prejudiced time servers in the immigration department in order for them to make life difficult for those who they do not approve of.

Australia is digging its own recession by refusing resolutely to learn anything from anybody who is not part of the snouts-in-the gravy-train-tocracy here, so I must say I'm a bit over trying to communicate with people who think this is the greatest democracy in the world just because everybody has to vote.:biglaugh:

Edited by guest74886

if I was running Australia Inc I would want to seriously investigate why I was losing somewhere in the order of 20% of my customers

In a free world with a global economy why do you assume that it is a bad thing for people to come and go as suits their life?

If you were running the UK would you likewise investigate why it loses about 60% of its "customers" in terms of net migration?

and that those losses were badmouthing me to my potential customer base overseas

Given that Australia has far more applications than approvals for immigration each year the potential customer base is hardly quaking in its boots. There are even PIO subscribers still arriving despite the badmouthing. :shocked:

no one bothers in the least to do any real research around Social Policy

How do you know?

they seem to work on the principle that there is an endless queue of people wanting to come here.

Well, at the moment there is. And there is intense debate in some quarters as to the level of population Australia can sustain and whether the immigration levels should be drastically reduced right now. Lack of migrants is not going to be a problem for a while yet - if ever.

I am left feeling very strongly that the Australians are only interested in exploiting immigrants and they really care very little about them,

So the hundreds of migrant support organisations and groups throughout Australia were set up because no one cared?

people who think this is the greatest democracy in the world just because everybody has to vote.

I've heard many reasons why people like Australia but I've never heard that one before. It certainly wouldn't be Australians saying that - compulsory voting interferes with their Saturday sport. :wink:

In a free world with a global economy why do you assume that it is a bad thing for people to come and go as suits their life?

If you were running the UK would you likewise investigate why it loses about 60% of its "customers" in terms of net migration?

Given that Australia has far more applications than approvals for immigration each year the potential customer base is hardly quaking in its boots. There are even PIO subscribers still arriving despite the badmouthing. :shocked:

How do you know?

Well, at the moment there is. And there is intense debate in some quarters as to the level of population Australia can sustain and whether the immigration levels should be drastically reduced right now. Lack of migrants is not going to be a problem for a while yet - if ever.

So the hundreds of migrant support organisations and groups throughout Australia were set up because no one cared?

I've heard many reasons why people like Australia but I've never heard that one before. It certainly wouldn't be Australians saying that - compulsory voting interferes with their Saturday sport. :wink:

typical "she'll be right" complacency. This sort of attitude needs to change, and it is thankfully, due to increased awareness through the internet.

typical "she'll be right" complacency. This sort of attitude needs to change, and it is thankfully, due to increased awareness through the internet.

That comment doesn't address any of the points I made.

"Complacency" also assumes that I consider the status quo to be a good thing which should be maintained. I haven't stated that anywhere.

That comment doesn't address any of the points I made.

"Complacency" also assumes that I consider the status quo to be a good thing which should be maintained. I haven't stated that anywhere.

I'd take your original post more seriously if it wasn't yet another bit of nit picking at any negative comment re Australia, whilst simultaneously having a dig at the UK.

Not from Australia they don't PB. I've posted the official statistics several times (with links to the source data:- http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publications/statistics/). Feel free to read them sometime. Admittedly, I've only got official govt stats to go off, but I'd wager that they're a damn site closer to the real figures than yours are.

Hi Cerberus1

Very interesting statistics, most interesting that the number leaving is rising altho you could argue that that is due to the increase in numbers arriving between 2006-2007 to 2010, overall it is almost 23% of the figure arriving over the time period you are looking at, even if you say that 5% of those returning belong to an earlier period of emigration it is still 18% returning over that 6 year period, if I was running Australia Inc I would want to seriously investigate why I was losing somewhere in the order of 20% of my customers and that those losses were badmouthing me to my potential customer base overseas.

That is what dismays me about Australia, no one bothers in the least to do any real research around Social Policy and tailor some initiatives to address problems that are identified, I am left feeling very strongly that the Australians are only interested in exploiting immigrants and they really care very little about them, they seem to work on the principle that there is an endless queue of people wanting to come here.

That may have been the case in the past but with the growth of social networks such as this one that can no longer be guaranteed, the rest of the developed world seems to have a much more sophisticated approach of wanting to only get the best of the immigrants and to make sure that they are then well looked after rather than have all these piddling regulations which make entry as difficult as possible here and are set up to allow as much discretion to prejudiced time servers in the immigration department in order for them to make life difficult for those who they do not approve of.

Australia is digging its own recession by refusing resolutely to learn anything from anybody who is not part of the snouts-in-the gravy-train-tocracy here, so I must say I'm a bit over trying to communicate with people who think this is the greatest democracy in the world just because everybody has to vote.:biglaugh:

Why do you think there is no-one doing any real research around Social Policy? I'm sure there is and that is probably why they keep messing around with the immigration rules. I don't think it's Australia that wants to exploit immigrants, I'm sure they want people to settle and become good Australians. There are however a few of the bigger companies that would love to bring in workers from say China on whatever visas they can and pay them peanuts for some short time work. Think Gina Reinhart and what she wanted to do.

The thing is there is an almost endless queue of well qualified and trained people wanting to come. They could probably fill the whole quota just from people wanting to come from the UK tbh. The rest of the developed world where they are wanting workers either don't look as nice an option as Aus or they aren't paying the money or they aren't particularly safe and somewhere you would want to settle with a family.

When we were looking to move somewhere the only 2 options that looked viable were here and Canada. My missus lived in Canada for a lot of years and I think we would have gone there if we hadn't been able to get in here. We both wanted warm weather and a beach lifestyle though.

Whether it's the greatest democracy in the world or not has never bothered me one bit. All I know is we love it here, it suits what we were looking for and politics seems to be much the same as it was in the UK.

I'd take your original post more seriously if it wasn't yet another bit of nit picking at any negative comment re Australia, whilst simultaneously having a dig at the UK.

So, one has to agree 100% with every comment made - otherwise it's "nit picking"?

Mmm...that's one to remember.

If I'd broken my leg and was confined for a month or so, I'd count all the negative comments about Australia on PIO and calculate the 0.000000% of ones I respond to (sorry, nitpick :notworthy:)

I was NOT having a dig at the UK. I was questioning a few assumptions.

OztoFrance obviously thinks 20% of returning migrants is a serious problem. Why? Maybe it's a good thing? What is the average return rate of migrants from other countries? Does anyone know? Maybe 20% is extremely low? The only other figure I know is the UK's and that's about 3 times higher.

Guest chris955

Regarding the numbers of people leaving permanently I wonder how many didnt put that on the departure card ? I know of 4 from earlier this year ;)

Guest paulwbafc

I am in uk visiting at moment. Had a look at monster jobs website and for my job as maintenance fitter wages are too low no matter where I look. £7 to £10 an hour. In oz my basic hour rate converts to £27 an hour ($41.50). Anyone who thinks I am joking have a look for yourself. Or if you know any maintenance fitter jobs going now for around £30k to £35k a year to maintain close to what I have in oz. It s no life struggling on poor wages with threat of redundancy over your head I have been there it's soul destroying. There are maintenance fitter jobs in the pay bracket I am looking for but people are holding onto those and when they do come up. Well I guess another 200 tradespeople will go for that one Job such is the state of the world. If I decided to move back I can t if the wages just above min wage. Not going thru same crap that's the reason I left is because of all the uk job loses and it looks like firms are exploiting the nations economy paying paltry wages. People say things more expensive in oz but if I earn. Less in uk howsthat make uk cheaper. If I earn less in uk surely I will find it harder. So at moment I say no to the £10 an hour uk wage and yes to my Aussie £27 $41 an hour wage.

The first post in this thread set out the thoughts of someone recently returned to the UK. Having read lots about the supposed doom and gloom of life here, the OP confirmed that his own recent experience was very different. I suppose it was inevitable given the nature of the thread that it would take the usual path of comparisons between the UK and Australia, but as this is MBTTUK it would be a shame if the intention of the OP got lost somehow.

Wage levels, numbers emigrating or returning, the rate of tax, employment rates, regional variations…..and loads of other stuff too, are all relevant to a point, but if you are thinking of returning to the UK maybe it’s helpful to know that some people still have a happy life here. The economic down turn is real, but for the people I know life is not the dreary drudgery that it is sometimes painted to be (we actually like our life and lifestyle, and are not looking to move any time soon). There are probably lots of great things that people can post about life in Australia, but I'm not sure how relevant they really are to this thread or to people looking to return to the UK. If it's about convincing folk that they are better off in Australia, maybe that's another thread? T x

Guest chris955
The first post in this thread set out the thoughts of someone recently returned to the UK. Having read lots about the supposed doom and gloom of life here, the OP confirmed that his own recent experience was very different. I suppose it was inevitable given the nature of the thread that it would take the usual path of comparisons between the UK and Australia, but as this is MBTTUK it would be a shame if the intention of the OP got lost somehow.

Wage levels, numbers emigrating or returning, the rate of tax, employment rates, regional variations…..and loads of other stuff too, are all relevant to a point, but if you are thinking of returning to the UK maybe it’s helpful to know that some people still have a happy life here. The economic down turn is real, but for the people I know life is not the dreary drudgery that it is sometimes painted to be (we actually like our life and lifestyle, and are not looking to move any time soon). There are probably lots of great things that people can post about life in Australia, but I'm not sure how relevant they really are to this thread or to people looking to return to the UK. If it's about convincing folk that they are better off in Australia, maybe that's another thread? T x

It's inevitable really, I knew as soon as I posted the thread what would happen and I could have written a list of who would make the comments and I would have been 99% correct. LOL. Life here for us and many millions of others is very good indeed, just as it is for many millions in Australia.

Why it seems perfectly acceptable that people who have lived in Australia can I think comment on most sections of the forum it does seem odd to me that some spend so much time in the section dedicated to returning to the UK when they have no intention of returning. Even more amazing are those that have never even lived in Australia coming in here :)

Why it seems perfectly acceptable that people who have lived in Australia can I think comment on most sections of the forum it does seem odd to me that some spend so much time in the section dedicated to returning to the UK when they have no intention of returning. Even more amazing are those that have never even lived in Australia coming in here :)

It's not necessary to spend any time in a particular forum to see a post.

If I feel like dropping into PIO to see what is going on I check only the "New Posts" and read anything with a title which takes my fancy. I don't check which forum it belongs to: and the idea that there are certain ones which are "OK" to read and others which are "not OK", is ludicrous.

It's not necessary to spend any time in a particular forum to see a post.

If I feel like dropping into PIO to see what is going on I check only the "New Posts" and read anything with a title which takes my fancy. I don't check which forum it belongs to: and the idea that there are certain ones which are "OK" to read and others which are "not OK", is ludicrous.

Same here..............no navigation..................no buggering about...............I simply click on "new posts" and read what takes my fancy.

Same here..............no navigation..................no buggering about...............I simply click on "new posts" and read what takes my fancy.

Nothing wrong at all with reading them. It just might be better if you took the time to see what section it was in before making your own posts, as these may not be relevant for that particular one.

Nothing wrong at all with reading them. It just might be better if you took the time to see what section it was in before making your own posts, as these may not be relevant for that particular one.

You post in reponse to a particular comment. If your response is relevant to that comment...then it's relevant, full stop.