My findings back in the UK

Guest chris955

Guest paulwbafc

Visiting family in the black country from Brisbane moreton bay. Was up west bromwich yesterday one of my old shopping towns many memories there happy for me. Half the places I used to shop have closed down boarded up, the indoor market boarded up my favorite pizza hut restaurant where I went with my wife during our girlfriend boyfriend stage boarded up, just felt sadness. Went for a wetherspoons breakfast in the morning noticed a long que at citizens advice bureau. Went to see my old work and it's closed it's gates as of last year, just wanted to have a look, felt sad. Went to see what is happening at the longbridge site where I spent 14 years. More of my history gone forever. Black country's not fared well in the GFC. Not been a totally happy homecoming. I hope the government does more for the black country as it is in need of a helping hand. What a shame.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest paulwbafc

I visited London on Tuesday enjoyed it. Went to the sights fed nuts to the many squirrels in st James park. Completely different world to the black country region. Almost as big as the difference between England and Australia. There are good places to live in England it's just affording it.

It's a never ending argument!

Folks who move back will say uk is better because that's where they want to be.

Folks in oz will say the opposite as its where they want to be!

We've only been here 3 months and there are plenty of good points about it. It's not england but why come here and expect it to be the same? The people aren't British they are Australian so why expect them to be the same? My take is they are very proud to be Aussies and why should we knock them for that? Look how the uk was during the Olympics.....we should be like that all the time, nothing wrong with being proud of your country.

Agree that food shopping is expensive, but fuel is cheaper....swings and roundabouts.

As for the climate, I'd wait until you've had 4/5 years of rubbish summers before commenting on that!

I don't know if we'll be here forever, but there are a lot of positives to oz for me, England will always be home though.....but it's not perfect by any means.

One other point is we have no children....I imagine this makes a massive difference.

I visited London on Tuesday enjoyed it. Went to the sights fed nuts to the many squirrels in st James park. Completely different world to the black country region. Almost as big as the difference between England and Australia. There are good places to live in England it's just affording it.

So you are comparing UK to the run down Black Country and Australia to buzzing London.....:laugh: You are sooo funny.

It's a never ending argument!

Folks who move back will say uk is better because that's where they want to be.

Folks in oz will say the opposite as its where they want to be!

We've only been here 3 months and there are plenty of good points about it. It's not england but why come here and expect it to be the same? The people aren't British they are Australian so why expect them to be the same? My take is they are very proud to be Aussies and why should we knock them for that? Look how the uk was during the Olympics.....we should be like that all the time, nothing wrong with being proud of your country.

Agree that food shopping is expensive, but fuel is cheaper....swings and roundabouts.

As for the climate, I'd wait until you've had 4/5 years of rubbish summers before commenting on that!

I don't know if we'll be here forever, but there are a lot of positives to oz for me, England will always be home though.....but it's not perfect by any means.

One other point is we have no children....I imagine this makes a massive difference.

All English Scottish and Irish are very proud of their nationality and love their countries of birth, you ave been reading to many doom and gloom stories in the national press, the British are a proud nation with a history that goes back hundreds of years, fair play to the mix if nationalities that are up Australians as they have really only been going a couple of hundred years.

Edited by Perthbum

All English Scottish and Irish are very round of their nationality and love their countries of birth, you ave been reading to many doom and gloom stories in the national press, the British are a proud nation with a history that goes back hundreds of years, fair play to the mix if nationalities that are up Australians as they have really only been going a couple of hundred years.

I dunno I've been living in the uk all my 33 years (except 3 months) and I don't think most folk are proud to be British. I think the Scots are proud to be Scottish, the Irish to. Not convinced most English are proud (I'm English by the way).

We are a nation that are pretty much disliked globally, yeah we have a great history.....most of it filled with mistreating a lot of other nations and now ironically we send the troops overseas trying to tell other countries how to act!

I dunno I've been living in the uk all my 33 years (except 3 months) and I don't think most folk are proud to be British. I think the Scots are proud to be Scottish, the Irish to. Not convinced most English are proud (I'm English by the way).

We are a nation that are pretty much disliked globally, yeah we have a great history.....most of it filled with mistreating a lot of other nations and now ironically we send the troops overseas trying to tell other countries how to act!

Don't believe it, we are loved by most People world wide, go anywhere on the planet and you will see hundreds of British football shirts worn by the locals, the only people who out us down are ourselves and people who are jealous of what a small country like ours has achieved, the British are respected world wide as honest and fair people.

p.s I ave not met many English who are not proud of their nationality.

Edited by Perthbum

Don't believe it, we are loved by most People world wide, go anywhere on the planet and you will see hundreds of British football shirts worn by the locals, the only people who out us down are ourselves and people who are jealous of what a small country like ours has achieved, the British are respected world wide as honest and fair people.

p.s I ave not met many English who are not proud of their nationality.

I'm sorry but they are not wearing those shirts cause they love Britain!! They are wearing them because we have the best football league in the world.

Example is when Beckham moved to Madrid the shirt sales globally pretty much paid for his transfer.

I'm not having a go at the uk.....I just don't think its as great as you are painting it. Maybe 50 years ago, but now, I'm not so convinced.

You should also try a few years of sweltering summers here, melting outside or hiding in the aircon inside or freezing winters, houses with no double glazing, no proper heating and no insulation. The UK climate is actually OK and the houses are built for the climate unlilke over here. It amazes me how people think the weather can change their lives.

You should also try a few years of sweltering summers here, melting outside or hiding in the aircon inside or freezing winters, houses with no double glazing, no proper heating and no insulation. The UK climate is actually OK and the houses are built for the climate unlilke over here. It amazes me how people think the weather can change their lives.

Sorry don't wish to sound sarcastic but where did you read that I moved oz for the weather?

We had a very comfortable live in the uk, we moved to oz for an experience....not to say its better.....but to give living in a different place a go!! We were at a place in our life where we wanted a change......and to be honest you think I would spend all the time and money moving to oz just for the weather....you'd have to be an idiot to do that!!

Guest Guest76386
All English Scottish and Irish are very proud of their nationality and love their countries of birth, you ave been reading to many doom and gloom stories in the national press, the British are a proud nation with a history that goes back hundreds of years, fair play to the mix if nationalities that are up Australians as they have really only been going a couple of hundred years.

Dont know about that statement mate. In my opinion, I have been blown away at how many British constantly knock there own country and run it down. Whether it be at the pub, talking to strangers or hearing it from friends I have made here. Its a shame really. Aussies are a very proud bunch in comparison.

Dont know about that statement mate. In my opinion, I have been blown away at how many British constantly knock there own country and run it down. Whether it be at the pub, talking to strangers or hearing it from friends I have made here. Its a shame really. Aussies are a very proud bunch in comparison.

i used to do that until going away I realised how lucky people are living in the UK. Now i always get annoyed when i hear friends or family constantly moaning about the UK.

Guest Guest76386
i used to do that until going away I realised how lucky people are living in the UK. Now i always get annoyed when i hear friends or family constantly moaning about the UK.

Going to see another country and a different lifestlye, tends to always make you appreciate the things you took for granted about home. I found the same thing.

What about the welsh!!!!

Guest Guest77374

Hi Paul, i get the feeling your heart is in the uk but your head is in Australia. I hope one day things get better where you come from and you can bring the two together. :biggrin:

Visiting family in the black country from Brisbane moreton bay. Was up west bromwich yesterday one of my old shopping towns many memories there happy for me. Half the places I used to shop have closed down boarded up, the indoor market boarded up my favorite pizza hut restaurant where I went with my wife during our girlfriend boyfriend stage boarded up, just felt sadness. Went for a wetherspoons breakfast in the morning noticed a long que at citizens advice bureau. Went to see my old work and it's closed it's gates as of last year, just wanted to have a look, felt sad. Went to see what is happening at the longbridge site where I spent 14 years. More of my history gone forever. Black country's not fared well in the GFC. Not been a totally happy homecoming. I hope the government does more for the black country as it is in need of a helping hand. What a shame.

As do most people who have lived abroad, you really do take things for granted and it is only when you come back after a while away tht you actally reuse how lucky we re to le in the UK or oz.

Guest paulwbafc

Never said that Australia is same as London, read it again that is not what I wrote. If you read it I said the difference between England and Australia is same as comparing black country to London . Where on earth have I said Australia is like a buzzing London.

Edited by lebourvellec
forum rules