My findings back in the UK

Guest chris955

Guest chris955

Overall for us England is proving to be a cheaper place to live, as this wasnt the reason for the move it is of course a bonus.

Before the move we were told to expect all sorts of horrors, including paths literally covered in dog poo and rubbish, surly miserable shop staff, people in the street that wouldnt look you in the eye, gangs on every corner, no jobs, everything really expensive and many more horrors. Amazingly our experiences have been almost the total opposite, even more amazingly I receive criticism for being overly positive even though so far our experience has been almost totally positive.

People have been incredibly friendly and helpful, neighbours have been around and introduced themselves, taken me to the pub for a drink within 5 minutes of meeting me, looked after our dog when we need to go away.

The whole process of buying a house for us was incredibly quick and easy.

Costs wise, electricity and gas is cheaper, rates for us are more than where we were in Brisbane but its apples and oranges to be fair.

Petrol is more, insurance is about the same but dont have to pay $600 plus for registration and CTP.

Food definitely cheaper, fresh food just as good quality. I would defy ANYONE to be able to tell the difference in the 2 countries.

Clothes certainly cheaper, £4 for an adult tshirt, school shirts, trousers etc ridiculously cheap. School shoes cheap and amazingly after half a term still look like new whereas the ones we used to buy in Australia would be lucky to last a few weeks sometimes.

For us and many others judging by other posts on here there is no question that the UK is cheaper, this most definitely was NOT the case when we went to Queensland 12 years ago and it has ABSOLITELY NOTHING to do with the exchange rate, it is just down to Australia becoming a very expensive place to live, there is no getting away from that and it isnt as if I am alone in claiming this by any means.

What I will say is for anyone planning a return please take a lot of the stories you are inevitably told with a huge pinch of salt.

We are loving being here, our kids are having a ball and only miss one best friend but nothing about the country which is actually surprising and disappointing in a sense as they are born and bred Australians.

We miss lots of things about Australia, mostly family and friends and will of course go back for holidays.

Anyway enough of my rambling,:just wanted to share some facts with any potential returnees.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall for us England is proving to be a cheaper place to live, as this wasnt the reason for the move it is of course a bonus.

Before the move we were told to expect all sorts of horrors, including paths literally covered in dog poo and rubbish, surly miserable shop staff, people in the street that wouldnt look you in the eye, gangs on every corner, no jobs, everything really expensive and many more horrors. Amazingly our experiences have been almost the total opposite, even more amazingly I receive criticism for being overly positive even though so far our experience has been almost totally positive.

People have been incredibly friendly and helpful, neighbours have been around and introduced themselves, taken me to the pub for a drink within 5 minutes of meeting me, looked after our dog when we need to go away.

Costs wise, electricity and gas is cheaper, rates for us are more than where we were in Brisbane but its apples and oranges to be fair.

Petrol is more, insurance is about the same but dont have to pay $600 plus for registration and CTP.

Food definitely cheaper, fresh food just as good quality. I would defy ANYONE to be able to tell the difference in the 2 countries.

Clothes certainly cheaper, £4 for an adult tshirt, school shirts, trousers etc ridiculously cheap. School shoes cheap and amazingly after half a term still look like new whereas the ones we used to buy in Australia would be lucky to last a few weeks sometimes.

For us and many others judging by other posts on here there is no question that the UK is cheaper, this most definitely was NOT the case when we went to Queensland 12 years ago and it has ABSOLITELY NOTHING to do with the exchange rate, it is just down to Australia becoming a very expensive place to live, there is no getting away from that and it isnt as if I am alone in claiming this by any means.

What I will say is for anyone planning a return please take a lot of the stories you are inevitably told with a huge pinch of salt.

We are loving being here, our kids are having a ball and only miss one best friend but nothing about the country which is actually surprising and disappointing in a sense as they are born and bred Australians.

We miss lots of things about Australia, mostly family and friends and will of course go back for holidays.

Anyway enough of my rambling,:just wanted to share some facts with any potential returnees.

And you honestly believed those posters who have an agenda against anything UK, most pst negatives to hide their own insecurity about their move to oz.

Guest chris955
And you honestly believed those posters who have an agenda against anything UK, most pst negatives to hide their own insecurity about their move to oz.

I dont doubt that for one second, that is something they have to live with I guess.

Guest Guest77374

Hi Homewardbound. I am glad you and your family are so happy and settled now. Like your kids, I miss people in Australia but I don't miss the place. I skyped my mum yesterday and she said it was in the thirties and I literally wilted at the thought of it. Today my boyfriend and me had a day off. We went up to London, visited the National Gallery, walked round St James park which was rich with Autumn colours. I had a jumper and a light jacket and was plenty warm enough.

We stood in Trafalgar square and I started crying. My bf asked me what was wrong and I told him nothing was wrong. I was just sooo happy to be home.

I live in greater London and I hardly ever see dog shite (it is so taboo now to let your dog go without picking up). People are friendly and warm and sorry though I dont like generalising, I have to say there is nothing like the british sense of humour.

My mum told me one of the reasons she wanted to move to oz was to give her kids a better quality of life. But it was not better. People make such simplistic assumptions about what constitutes a better quality of life. Mainly sunshine. What about culture? What about history? what about easy access to other countries? What about ease of movement in your own country to tap into various landscapes and lifestyles, from the highlands of scotland to the buzz of london? what about snow in winter? what about spring? What about a summer that does not make you melt? what about lying on the grass without worrying about waking up to find a deadly spider crawling up your arm? what about swimming in the sea without fear ( and I was swimming in Newquay in March this year in my wetsuit and body boarding and was toasty warm)? And most importantly, what about FAMILY and friends that you have known since you were in nappies?

For some reason so many people are blinkered as to the wonders of living up in the Uk. So many children miss out because of this. I am not saying Australia is not a great country in its own way, but I honestly think some people think it is much more great than it is and they think the UK is far less great than it is.

Yes grown kids can come back when they are older like I have done, but they have missed out on years of growing up in a country that has an unbelievable amount to offer. As to the old chestnut about jobs, economies etc. Who knows what the future brings. I am glad to be back and I am sure homewardbound your kids will thank you one day for bringing them to live in a country as great as ours.

'Food definitely cheaper, fresh food just as good quality. I would defy ANYONE to be able to tell the difference in the 2 countries.'

The only problem I have with food in the Uk is that not all fruit is meant to be eaten all year round. Grapes are fine, but I have yet to taste a decent nectarine or peach. It is a shame, because I love a good nectarine. In Australia fruit is seasonal - and I think that makes more sense.

Hi Homewardbound. I am glad you and your family are so happy and settled now. Like your kids, I miss people in Australia but I don't miss the place. I skyped my mum yesterday and she said it was in the thirties and I literally wilted at the thought of it. Today my boyfriend and me had a day off. We went up to London, visited the National Gallery, walked round St James park which was rich with Autumn colours. I had a jumper and a light jacket and was plenty warm enough.

We stood in Trafalgar square and I started crying. My bf asked me what was wrong and I told him nothing was wrong. I was just sooo happy to be home.

I live in greater London and I hardly ever see dog shite (it is so taboo now to let your dog go without picking up). People are friendly and warm and sorry though I dont like generalising, I have to say there is nothing like the british sense of humour.

My mum told me one of the reasons she wanted to move to oz was to give her kids a better quality of life. But it was not better. People make such simplistic assumptions about what constitutes a better quality of life. Mainly sunshine. What about culture? What about history? what about easy access to other countries? What about ease of movement in your own country to tap into various landscapes and lifestyles, from the highlands of scotland to the buzz of london? what about snow in winter? what about spring? What about a summer that does not make you melt? what about lying on the grass without worrying about waking up to find a deadly spider crawling up your arm? what about swimming in the sea without fear ( and I was swimming in Newquay in March this year in my wetsuit and body boarding and was toasty warm)? And most importantly, what about FAMILY and friends that you have known since you were in nappies?

For some reason so many people are blinkered as to the wonders of living up in the Uk. So many children miss out because of this. I am not saying Australia is not a great country in its own way, but I honestly think some people think it is much more great than it is and they think the UK is far less great than it is.

Yes grown kids can come back when they are older like I have done, but they have missed out on years of growing up in a country that has an unbelievable amount to offer. As to the old chestnut about jobs, economies etc. Who knows what the future brings. I am glad to be back and I am sure homewardbound your kids will thank you one day for bringing them to live in a country as great as ours.

Wow bless you that was said from your heart - good luck to you both in the UK.

Totaly agree with 99% of this post,very good reading,hitting the nail on the head!

One reason i left Australia,i personaly could not AFFORD to live there any longer.........................

* On a side note is there a stubbie holder for pint glasses to keep them cold just a lil longer?

'Food definitely cheaper, fresh food just as good quality. I would defy ANYONE to be able to tell the difference in the 2 countries.'

The only problem I have with food in the Uk is that not all fruit is meant to be eaten all year round. Grapes are fine, but I have yet to taste a decent nectarine or peach. It is a shame, because I love a good nectarine. In Australia fruit is seasonal - and I think that makes more sense.

I used to buy fruit and veg from on organic veg place for that very reason.

I wish people would stop trying to make out that the UK is better than Australia, or that Australia is better than the UK. For some people the UK is better, for some Australia. Some of us have family in both places and our kids will be seperated from family where ever we live. There is good and bad in both countries, nice areas and less nice areas in both. Your experience in either country will be coloured by your expectations and previous experiences and people's perceptions of the same thing will differ greatly because of this.

Yes the UK has more history than Australia. Yes Australia is warmer than the UK on average (some parts more so others). Whether these are good things or bad things depends entirely on your point of view.

Found British TV is still fantastic, watching good cop and homeland both amazing dramas, and Ricky gervaices an idiot abroad is kne of the funniest documentaries I have ever seen.

I also love British TV but most of what you get in UK is also available in Australia (I admit a lot of it is on Foxtel). Whatever is missing you can download. Also I loved watching Dexter, Heroes and Lost in Oz.

What a great post , I'm looking at it like you. Too many people think sunshine is the answer and automatically your kids will be better off, I find most Australians institutionalised..

Thats the reason we are moving home we thought it would be a better life out here for our kids but how can it be when they are missing out on their growing up without their family and like you say in a country that has a whole lot to offer.

People make such simplistic assumptions about what constitutes a better quality of life. Mainly sunshine. What about culture? What about history? what about easy access to other countries? What about ease of movement in your own country to tap into various landscapes and lifestyles, from the highlands of scotland to the buzz of london? what about snow in winter? what about spring? What about a summer that does not make you melt? what about lying on the grass without worrying about waking up to find a deadly spider crawling up your arm? what about swimming in the sea without fear ( and I was swimming in Newquay in March this year in my wetsuit and body boarding and was toasty warm)? And most importantly, what about FAMILY and friends that you have known since you were in nappies?

I am glad to be back and I am sure homewardbound your kids will thank you one day for bringing them to live in a country as great as ours.

I agree 100% with this. I have now lived in Australia for 3 years and don't regret moving here, we have had some great experiences, and now live in a lovely house with a wonderful garden, but Britain will always be home. My wife was born in the UK but brought up in Sydney, and loves both countries 50-50, and we moved here as she was disliking the UK weather after a few poor years. I know I will live in the UK again, and have told her so! I won't see out my days here. She also agrees with my aspiration to live in the Lake District for a year, no matter what the cost. Family, friends, and the Lakes is what I miss the most.

To a set way of life, Like the car stickers say ..like us or leave us

1. I've actually never seen one of those stickers.

2. I have no idea what a "set way of life" is.

3. Whatever the word he's looking for...it's not "institutionalised".

That's the problem - Tax in Oz.

You read people barking on there on more money in Oz but exchange rates alone doesn't relate to the cost of living looking at a basket of goods in each country.

Your wage in Oz after tax and then spending a fortune on everything is actually lower than back home

There generally aren't loads of things to do that are free other than go to the beach and use a free BBQ and unless you have small kids why bother - UK people bring a throw away one so what's the difference!

The car stickers are all over and actually say FIT in or F*ck Off underneath an outline of the shape of Australia. There all over.

That led me to think I would have to start living in the bush like an abbo as there actually the true Australians, all the rest have only been there a few generations.

How do the tax rates compare for employees ?
Edited by dustyroad

1. I've actually never seen one of those stickers.

2. I have no idea what a "set way of life" is.

3. Whatever the word he's looking for...it's not "institutionalised".

See they've got you too....! Even worse in Tasmania, the mainland ozzies say there's interbreeding going on there ...! Lol

See they've got you too....! Even worse in Tasmania, the mainland ozzies say there's interbreeding going on there ...! Lol

Haven't got me...I wasn't born here, nor were any of my family.

Any mainlander who says that has an IQ of about 30, hasn't been here, probably doesn't even know where it is.