Uk debt collection

familybonesinoz

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AKA63029

I'll give my 'personal' experience.

When I got back with the good lady her ex husband (deceased) had taken out loans amounting to £47,000.

Now these 'loans' had been taken out in his name and 'joint' names.

Having remarried Ruth I contacted all the businesses involved and 'most' agreed to wipe the debt, but two decided it was still Ruths responsibility to repay them. So I 'took' the debts over in my name after a lot of 'officialdom'.

To date all I have left to pay off is £1,600, but myself and Ruth came out to Australia leaving that sum back in the UK.

I haven't told 'them' where I am but they know they will not be getting their money in the near future.

Does this make me a thief?

There are SO Manu reasons why some can't pay money back, it is impossible and bloody infair to castigate and tar everyone with the same brush.

I should point out that Ruth had NO idea about the loans as her ex was a scumbag.

Cheers Tony.

No one did lol

But what I hate about this forum is the posts like yours

Same old story we have heard loads of times before - cant afford to pay the debt back but can afford to emigrate?

Why bother to post it?

I agree that debt should be paid back simple

But why judge others we know nothing about

But Tony,

Why would you not pay back such a small sum remaining.

You pay 45,000 pounds and not the last 1600. Sounds odd.

If you paid thousands to emigrate you should also pay the debt.

Just pay it from here and then you won't have to think about it

The moralising is as people have said, if you can afford to pay 10000 odd to emigrate you should be paying your debts first.

As someone who has worked in personal bankruptcy for the past 21 years, I see no problem with what the OP was suggesting to do.

The majority of people who get into financial difficulties do so through no fault of their own, it's just life. Until you walk a mile in their shoes we have no right to cast judgement.

I never question or look down on people experiencing financial difficulties, it can happen to any one of us, and I am talking from experience. It doesn't take much, a job loss, illness, for that rug to be pulled from underneath your feet.

Most creditors forecast a certain percentage for bad debt write off.

So to the OP, don't worry they won't track you down in Australia.

Cheers

Karen

Karen,

I only agree up to a point. If someone is spending thousands to migrate that is not really financial hardship in my eyes. The thousands should pay off their debts first.

The OP has gone very quiet, and he hasn't said how much money he is spending on flights, removalists etc. Im guessing he has money but rather spend on this than paying down his debts.

I dont believe all this stuff that the majority of people are in debt through no fault of there own - yes there are some it can happen to but so many people say they are living on the breadline but still have the biggest telly out of Curry's, an I Phone each, even each of their 5 kids that they are claiming social for, manage to go out on the piss most weekends,and they say they cant pay their bills???

Karen,

I only agree up to a point. If someone is spending thousands to migrate that is not really financial hardship in my eyes. The thousands should pay off their debts first.

The OP has gone very quiet, and he hasn't said how much money he is spending on flights, removalists etc. Im guessing he has money but rather spend on this than paying down his debts.

Say perhaps you have lost your job in the recession. You have 90k worth of debt. You have 10k in savings. There are no jobs to be had where you live. You get a job offer from Oz after being unemployed for 6 months. Do you do the ''right'' thing in your eyes and use your savings to put a tiny dent in the 90k debt, have nothing to live on, and still be up sh7ts creek regarding the other 80k? Or do you use your savings to try and secure a better life, and possibly put yourself in a position at some stage to start repaying this debt from Australia? Sorry but I know which option I'm choosing....

Say perhaps you have lost your job in the recession. You have 90k worth of debt. You have 10k in savings. There are no jobs to be had where you live. You get a job offer from Oz after being unemployed for 6 months. Do you do the ''right'' thing in your eyes and use your savings to put a tiny dent in the 90k debt, have nothing to live on, and still be up sh7ts creek regarding the other 80k? Or do you use your savings to try and secure a better life, and possibly put yourself in a position at some stage to start repaying this debt from Australia? Sorry but I know which option I'm choosing....

how can anyone get in that much debt anyway!!!! I think by the time I was about 10k in debt I would be seriously thinking what I could do to sort it out before it got any worse!

Some people are not looking for a way to eventually pay it back they just want not to have to pay it at all!

but his question was not "Can I pay my debts easily from Australia as I have a new job to go to there" it was "will I be caught if I dont' pay" so it is clear his motivation.

Guest Guest76386

To the original poster.. Come to Australia mate. Have a little holiday when you arrive and relax abit. If you come to Brisbane, Id be happy to Have a few beers with you guys and tell you some great places to see. You should definately find people that dont judge you on knowing nothing about your circumstances or the situation you have found yourself in, Bit unlike a forum with a bunch people that are quick to throw JUdgement at someone they no nothing about.. And to you plebs ( fav british saying ) quick to throw judgement, step out of your box you live in..

Guest The Pom Queen
But Tony,

Why would you not pay back such a small sum remaining.

You pay 45,000 pounds and not the last 1600. Sounds odd.

If you paid thousands to emigrate you should also pay the debt.

Just pay it from here and then you won't have to think about it

The moralising is as people have said, if you can afford to pay 10000 odd to emigrate you should be paying your debts first.

But as he pointed out in the first place it wasn't his debt, personally I wouldn't have paid any of it. Tony didn't pay anything to move over here, flights nor housing and he was already an Australian Citizen from being here years ago

how can anyone get in that much debt anyway!!!! I think by the time I was about 10k in debt I would be seriously thinking what I could do to sort it out before it got any worse!

Some people are not looking for a way to eventually pay it back they just want not to have to pay it at all!

Say you bought a house a few years ago - maybe a young couple just setting up - not a lot of money for a deposit and the house needs work doing. You get a 100% mortgage and use the credit card that the bank very kindly gave you to do what needs doing, you`re both working so it`s not a problem. Then you have kids, wife gives up work, it`s a it tight but do able, then you lose your job too, things start to get really tight, you try to sell the house - no one is buying, the house you bought for say 150,000 is going down in price every day - so you go to one of those companies - they offer to buy the house 85,000, you now have the choice - take it and move on with your life or decide to hold out still trying to pay the mortgage every month, maybe the bank repossess and sells it for half of what it was bought for - they don`t care cos whatever you decide you will still owe them the difference. So you now have sold the house but still have to pay the bank plus whatever fees for using a solicitor & estate agent, you move into a rental, then you split up, you find out that your other half has maybe run up even more debt that you didn`t know about, you stop answering the door because it might be a debt collector, you stop opening up the letters from the bank because you`re in way over your head and you cannot cope, you`re depressed, the longer the letters remain unopened the more the debt mounts.... You see how easily soene can get in way over their heads??

Guest The Pom Queen
So lets all say f.... You to all the money we have loaned...good init.

Im sure if people had the money to pay it back they would. I know a family who, due to her husband being injured and no longer able to work lived off credit cards, they did their food shopping on them, paid bills on them, then they had to use another credit card to pay the other credit card and it all spiralled out of control, in the end they got in to so much debt he tried to take his life. They ended up doing a runner somewhere in Europe. They struggled still but the wife got a job and with no debt to pay back they managed to start a new life. I haven't been in touch with them since coming to AUS, but I'm afraid in their case it was the best thing for them

If you have no debt issues or never had them you'll probably never understand how tough it can be

How close you can come to not living any more

Sometimes a forum can be some peoples only outlet and to be told you're a thief

Well it might actually push you over the edge

Would you actually care about that?

I would for sure so I always think before I post

Do I post to get likes

NO!!!!!

I post to offer help and advice

If you think posting stuff like that will help the op I think you need to seek help yourself but I wouldn't do it on this forum lol