Cost of living in the UK

Guest Andy

definitely! we're lucky that we only have two dogs but it still mounts up when you buy them bones and other treats.

Its the medication from the vets thats the hard one at the moment, almost £50 a month for erics heart tablets. Best spent money in the world though if it makes him feel better and gives us longer with him

Vets bills are so high, were lucky as our pets (touch wood) seem to stay healthy, no major problems, just yearly jabs etc.... we are now part of a bird rescue, so we have many gorgeous parrots staying with us, got a gorgeous blue and gold macaw yesterday, swears like a trooper though lol x

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great pic dawny! shes lovely. I'd be in parrot heaven lol ive always wanted one but isnt fair, dont think we'd have the time etc. maybe one day though!

vet bills cost a bomb these days, £150 just for a xray of heart. Insurance wouldnt cover it or medication. Just one of those things! the things we do for our furbabies eh lol

I included cat food in the family food !

I do car servicing myself and take a wheel to the local tyre place when it needs replacing. MOT's at a garage I trust not to make stuff up that needs fixing (and they know I'd know !)

Servicing contracts for household appliances is fools money, it isn't going to stop the things breaking down having some bloke come in and basically clean it.

I just repair/pay for repairs/replace when necessary.

Fixed the dishwasher in Feb, replaced a motor capacitor in the heat recovery ventilation system last month all thanks to Googling stuff and speaking to the right person for advice ! Saved myself hundreds !

I've often wondered what the cost of living is like in England now. All I see is people moaning about how expensive Perth is. I think people who have been here a few years only remember what the price of things used to be when they left and don't take into account that prices have increased by just as much in the UK too.

When my wife went back last year she said she found the cost of living overall to be pretty comparable. Fair enough if you are in the same situation as PB, young and single by the sound of it, your major outgoings would be beer, so England would be cheaper.

Its hard to compare cost of living. In uk my weekly wage was £400 take home a week. In oz take home per week is $1255 £803 for maint fitter job. Property is more expensive in oz but thats a secure assett and other outgoings aren t double uk. I have not had less than a 4% pay rise in oz. In uk i got at best 2%. I have spent a lot of hours working out projections and it is possible to buy a property in oz for 15 years then sell up and be mortgage free in uk.

A better option would be stay in Brisabane and be mortgage free there.

Guest TheArmChairDetective
I included cat food in the family food !

I do car servicing myself and take a wheel to the local tyre place when it needs replacing. MOT's at a garage I trust not to make stuff up that needs fixing (and they know I'd know !)

Servicing contracts for household appliances is fools money, it isn't going to stop the things breaking down having some bloke come in and basically clean it.

I just repair/pay for repairs/replace when necessary.

Fixed the dishwasher in Feb, replaced a motor capacitor in the heat recovery ventilation system last month all thanks to Googling stuff and speaking to the right person for advice ! Saved myself hundreds !

I accept what Pablo and you are saying Justin but we are not all able, capable or confident enough to do our own servicing.

For me, I have not serviced a car since winter 1986 when fy fingers turned blue and I thought they were going to drop off changing some springs on a Granada.

My washing Bosch Machine broke in September and it was cheaper to buy a new one than purchase a replacement controller. (and would I have taught myself micro electronics to wire it in researching google? I think not)

I am surprised at the explanation about gas boiler servicing and take it on board, The gas board have never brought a hoover in me house and I have had Injectors replaced free under contract but I don't stand and watch them while they work so didn't know they only give it a clean. Isn't it illegal to touch a gas boiler up if your not Corgi Registered or something similar?

One might have a heart attack when when buying a round in Oz.

As one would buying a round in the pubs where I live.

For example in my local a pint of real ale and a large Pino costs £12:35 which is about $20.

In fact, in any pub restaurant in the UK where I live two meals will be cheaper than four drinks, and that's how they bump up their takings with cheap meals and expensive drinks. I am talking about common or garden pubs for "the Plebs" here not something posh.

Edited by TheArmChairDetective

For example in my local a pint of real ale and a large Pino costs £12:35 which is about $20.

In fact, in any pub restaurant in the UK where I live two meals will be cheaper than four drinks, and that's how they bump up their takings with cheap meals and expensive drinks. I am talking about common or garden pubs for "the Plebs" here not something posh.

I usually drink in Central London after work and for £12.50 I can get 3 pints of ale/lager. A pie is around £9.50, sausages & mash £8.50, sirloin steak £13, fish&chips £9.50. Where I live it's pretty much the same apart from Wetherspoons where a pint of ale is only £2.35.

A pint of something pretty nasty in Perth CBD will not see any change from $15. A glass of some "ok" wine about the same.

I accept what Pablo and you are saying Justin but we are not all able, capable or confident enough to do our own servicing.

For me, I have not serviced a car since winter 1986 when fy fingers turned blue and I thought they were going to drop off changing some springs on a Granada.

My washing Bosch Machine broke in September and it was cheaper to buy a new one than purchase a replacement controller. (and would I have taught myself micro electronics to wire it in researching google? I think not)

I am surprised at the explanation about gas boiler servicing and take it on board, The gas board have never brought a hoover in me house and I have had Injectors replaced free under contract but I don't stand and watch them while they work so didn't know they only give it a clean. Isn't it illegal to touch a gas boiler up if your not Corgi Registered or something similar?

The cost of living in the UK is very high!! We earn really good wages but neither of us have had a pay rise in years (Im a Midwife, Husband Electrical Contracts manager)

we are a family of 4 and spend huge amounts on healthy food like £150 week plus top ups, this makes me almost cry when I go shopping and I shop around for deals!

gas £90 mth, elec £120 mth, ctax £150, water £35, phone/broadband £65, sky £45, mortgage £1200, car ins £42 (small car engine) house ins £30 (both contents/buildings) tv lic £12, it just goes on and on!! debts blah blah!! plus the UK is miserable a family day out will cost £100-150, nothing free to do except walks and the park etc its crap!!

I cant wait to move to OZ I dont mind the higher cost of living as the wages are higher so I feel its all relevant plus there's lots to do and the weather is beautiful!

we feel we just exist in the UK not actually live and I feel theres no future for the kids here unless they want to join the local gang culture! anyone coming back to the UK is mad! just my opinion!!

what :elvis: no way...... how does that breakdown, the pub i work in pint real ale averages £2.70 and a large glass on pinot grigo is £3.87 thats 250ml, a bottle is £10.99

how much is the pint?

Edited by Perthbum

Ooh, good thread. Am doing my finances now! And yes, I did copy and paste it from my 'expenses' spreadsheet, haha!

Monthly

[TABLE=width: 128]

[TR]

[TD][TABLE=width: 192]

[TR]

[TD]Rent (SW London)[/TD]

[TD=align: right]£1,100.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Gas[/TD]

[TD=align: right]£50.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Electric[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Water Rates[/TD]

[TD=align: right]£25.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Council Rates[/TD]

[TD=align: right]£120.83[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Travel (husband)[/TD]

[TD=align: right]£83.33[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Travel (me)[/TD]

[TD=align: right]£178.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Mobile[/TD]

[TD=align: right]£30.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Internet [/TD]

[TD=align: right]£15.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Contents Insurance[/TD]

[TD=align: right]£12.50[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=align: right][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]TV Licence[/TD]

[TD=align: right]£12.25[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Car Tax[/TD]

[TD=align: right]£12.50[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Car Insurance[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Services 6 months[/TD]

[TD=align: right]£29.17[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Repairs[/TD]

[TD=align: right]£20[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Fuel[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Food for 4[/TD]

[TD=align: right]£650.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Nappies (x 2)[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Childcare £1,350[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Guest TheArmChairDetective
what :elvis: no way......

Yes way.

and the prices you are quoting are old.

Edited by TheArmChairDetective

Great pic dawny! shes lovely. I'd be in parrot heaven lol ive always wanted one but isnt fair, dont think we'd have the time etc. maybe one day though!

vet bills cost a bomb these days, £150 just for a xray of heart. Insurance wouldnt cover it or medication. Just one of those things! the things we do for our furbabies eh lol

Thanks Pablo, it's hard work but very rewarding when you see them returning to full health.

So true you take on the pets and you know vets is sure to follow at some point, makes me angry the amount of people who rush in with no thoughts what so ever for the animals up keep then just dump them.. so sad..

YOU THINK! Try living here as many people have said before!!

I believe Hoff is talking about a box of inexpensive wine. I often buy the Sonata wine boxes from Dan Murphy's - $14.99 for 4 litres. More wine and fewer $s than £s. I've also found familiar wines like Wolf Blass cheap as chips in Australia. For some weird reason buying box wine in the UK works out more expensive than bottles - I don't get that at all!