Cost of living in the UK

Guest Andy

There are always a lot of threads re the cost of living in Australia and how expensive everything is, how about the UK now it seems to have gone through the roof. The cost of groceries, fuel, water, electricity etc has gone up to daft levels over the last few years and now some things like holidays, decent meat, going to the pub seem unaffordable to people on a tight budget. There was an article in the newspaper today saying that a lot of people are using equity in their homes and credit cards just to pay for essential's as there has been no increase in wages to match the increase in the cost of living, any thoughts?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Gas and electric, £130.00 per month for a good sized 4 bed detached house, no mortgage.

Rates £146

Water rates £30

Sky tv £60

phone and broadband £35

Weekly Big shop for 4 £125

Wine 3 litres £18.00

Decent whisky £18.00

petrol £1.40

Car insurance £500

House insurance £350

car tax £170

I take home after tax about £250 a week, shared rent is £90 a week including gas and leccy, I have bout £30 left at the end of he week...holiday fund.

compared to oz I find it much much cheaper for almost everything.

I get 4 50% off food and drink vouchers in my pay packet which is velly nice thank you.

Edited by Perthbum

I take home after tax about £250 a week, shared rent is £90 a week including gas and leccy, I have bout £30 left at the end of he week...holiday fund.

I get 4 50% off food and drink vouchers in my pay packet which is velly nice thank you.

So you have £30 left after all your bills are paid?

What are yer working at pb? were you talking about a pub job the other week?

Yeah the rent. I moan about cost of living here sometimes but i suppose its basically cheap compared to england. I guess its just the lower wages (for me anyway) that make it hard.

I would compare it to London rather than England. Outside London rent could be 2 or even 3 times cheaper than here. Whereabouts do you live?

Guest TheArmChairDetective
Gas and electric, £130.00 per month for a good sized 4 bed detached house, no mortgage.

Rates £146

Water rates £30

Sky tv £60

phone and broadband £35

Weekly Big shop for 4 £125

Wine 3 litres £18.00

Decent whisky £18.00

petrol £1.40

Car insurance £500

House insurance £350

car tax £170

Weekly shop £125 for 4!!!! I spend more than that for 2.

3 litres of wine £18.00!!!! is that for cooking mate?

Car Tax £170!!!!! what do you drive, Noddy's toy car????

Re visit your figures buddy.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Weekly shop £125 for 4!!!! I spend more than that for 2.

3 litres of wine £18.00!!!! is that for cooking mate?

Car Tax £170!!!!! what do you drive, Noddy's toy car????

Re visit your figures buddy.

We have take outs about 3 times a week.

The wife drinks Hock, or Libfremilch, it's still double the cost of wine in Oz.

A Peugeot 308. 1.6 litre.

i could have made them dearer, but that would be pointless.

We used to almost spend that amount on shopping too for the two of us some weeks but thats because daves one of those people who buys things he doesnt need! A steak and cheese addiction lol.

Not sure about car insurance but dont think its expensive, wont put me on it cos it would go right up.

Not sure about other stuff, im rubbish at keeping track of figures!

Guest TheArmChairDetective
My weekly food shop is £10-20 a week for 1 but have most of my meals out :-)

That'll be the chewing gum diet with Extra gum when you go out :-)

Scotland, in the countryside outside glasgow. Only started realising how cheap it is here compared to other places when i decided i wanted to move to edinburgh. Too expensive! Glasgow or stirling is much more likely i think

We've never paid more than 500pcm for a rental

I lived in Edinburgh for 1 year between 2009-2010. Rent was £545 for a nice 2 bedroom in a very nice part of North Edinburgh. Transport was only £45/month but I saved this money as it was easy and enjoyable to cycle to most places. Bills were pretty much the same maybe slightly lower than in London. Still missing the great pubs and ales.

My month

Gas and electricity 100

Sky and broadband 60

Council Tax (a shocking) 200

Shopping 280

car insurance 66

house insurance 50

car tax 16

petrol 80

additional council tax thing 10

WTF is my council tax so dear!! I thought Mr Salmond is supposed to be keeping it down for us Scots. I also pay the 10 pound thing to a company for some street maintainence as my street has not been officially handed over to council. Again, I have no choice in this, despite my 200 pound council tax my bin is tiny! Anyway, that's my bug bear, my house is only a three bedder.

(Some things are paid annually but I just did monthly summaries)

Edited by whichway1