Cost of living in the UK

Guest Andy

I'm in a Fuller's pub right now in Central London. Here are some prices on the menu.

- Pinot Grigio 175ml £4.75

- Pinot Grigio 250ml £6.80

- Merlot 175ml £4.15

- Merlot 250ml £5.90

- Fish & Chips £9.95

- Bangers & Mash £9.25

- Roast chicken breast £9.50

- Bacon & Cheddar Steak Burger £9.95

- House Pie £10.25

- Steak & Ale Pie £10.25

- Soup of the day £4.50

- Different types of sandwiches £6.35

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I accept what Pablo and you are saying Justin but we are not all able, capable or confident enough to do our own servicing.

For me, I have not serviced a car since winter 1986 when fy fingers turned blue and I thought they were going to drop off changing some springs on a Granada.

My washing Bosch Machine broke in September and it was cheaper to buy a new one than purchase a replacement controller. (and would I have taught myself micro electronics to wire it in researching google? I think not)

I am surprised at the explanation about gas boiler servicing and take it on board, The gas board have never brought a hoover in me house and I have had Injectors replaced free under contract but I don't stand and watch them while they work so didn't know they only give it a clean. Isn't it illegal to touch a gas boiler up if your not Corgi Registered or something similar?

As one would buying a round in the pubs where I live.

For example in my local a pint of real ale and a large Pino costs £12:35 which is about $20.

In fact, in any pub restaurant in the UK where I live two meals will be cheaper than four drinks, and that's how they bump up their takings with cheap meals and expensive drinks. I am talking about common or garden pubs for "the Plebs" here not something posh.

Sorry cant let this go, you paid £12.35 for a pint and a glass of wine...how much was the pint? As a barman I cannot believe you would pay this much in your common local.

Guest TheArmChairDetective
I'm in a Fuller's pub right now in Central London. Here are some prices on the menu.

Thank you.

Next time I'm down the pub I'll ask them for a price list just so I can post it here.

Thank you.

Next time I'm down the pub I'll ask them for a price list just so I can post it here.

If the large Pinot at your local pub was the same price as here £6.80 then the pint of ale would cost £5.55. The only ales that I know that could so expensive are those that are very strong >7%.

Is Skull Splitter your favourite ale mate?

- Merlot 175ml £4.15

- Merlot 250ml £5.90

- Fish & Chips £9.95

- Bangers & Mash £9.25

- House Pie £10.25

- Steak & Ale Pie £10.25

- Soup of the day £4.50

- Different types of sandwiches £6.35

How much is a pint of real ale?

If the large Pinot at your local pub was the same price as here £6.80 then the pint of ale would cost £5.55. The only ales that I know that could so expensive are those that are very strong >7%.

Guinnessand Cider, some people like the Marstons chain won't serve this drink though.

Anything real ale like Buttcombs,Badgers,Abbotts etc.

But to be honest, Good luck to you if you can buy a cheaper pint than I, I am not interested in what price is being charged by a subsidised chain in the the big city though, in my local in my villiage the cost of a pint and large pino is £12:35.

Edited by TheArmChairDetective

Think he might be a little mistaken or the barman seen him coming.

Guinnessand Cider, some people like the Marstons chain won't serve this drink though.

Anything real ale like Buttcombs,Badgers,Abbotts etc.

But to be honest, Good luck to you if you can buy a cheaper pint than I, I am not interested in what price is being charged by a subsidised chain in the the big city though, in my local in my villiage the cost of a pint and large pino is £12:35.

Guinness and cider would not cost over anywhere near £5.55 which you say you paid for your pint, can you remember what ale you had for £5.55.

whats the name of your pub?

Think he might be a little mistaken or the barman seen him coming.

I am Neither.

You will have to accept that life in the UK doesn't have the 1970's "rosy Glow" you seem to think it has.

Heck, Currently in YORK where the sewage is running down the street as we speak the price of a pint of P^$$ err I mean something called Larger !!! is £4.25 There were barrels of it being carried away with the water live on Breakfast tv.

- Merlot 175ml £4.15

- Merlot 250ml £5.90

- Fish & Chips £9.95

- Bangers & Mash £9.25

- House Pie £10.25

- Steak & Ale Pie £10.25

- Soup of the day £4.50

- Different types of sandwiches £6.35[/quote

Thats roughly the prices we paid in a aberdeen hotel at weekend. It was about 6.40 for a glass of wine. Wasnt even that big a measure. Im too much of a cheapskate to do that often

I am Neither.

You will have to accept that life in the UK doesn't have the 1970's "rosy Glow" you seem to think it has.

Heck, Currently in YORK where the sewage is running down the street as we speak the price of a pint of P^$$ err I mean something called Larger !!! is £4.25 There were barrels of it being carried away with the water live on Breakfast tv.

So you don't know how much you paid for your pint...I don't believe you paid over £12 for a glass of wine and a pint in your local.

whats the name of your pub?

Mind your own business, I'm not giving you private information about myself.

...I don't believe you paid over £12 for a glass of wine and a pint in your local.

I don't care what you do or don't believe, son.

Edited by TheArmChairDetective

- Merlot 175ml £4.15

- Merlot 250ml £5.90

- Fish & Chips £9.95

- Bangers & Mash £9.25

- House Pie £10.25

- Steak & Ale Pie £10.25

- Soup of the day £4.50

Thats roughly the prices we paid in a aberdeen hotel at weekend. It was about 6.40 for a glass of wine. Wasnt even that big a measure. Im too much of a cheapskate to do that often

I cant believe the prices they charge for wine by the glass tbh,mind you a gnats gonads worth of whisky is about £2.50 or something now,if yer had a muzzy it wouldnt even make it damp,i begrudge buying whisky in the pub tbh.

Twenty eight units in a bottle,times say just £2,£56 quid for an arl Grants whisky that yer buy for £12,bleedin joke

- Merlot 175ml £4.15

- Merlot 250ml £5.90

- Fish & Chips £9.95

- Bangers & Mash £9.25

- House Pie £10.25

- Steak & Ale Pie £10.25

- Soup of the day £4.50

Aberdeen is dear though mind. Lots of money there.