Cost of living in the UK

Guest Andy

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok,seems like a few people are spending more than we are.We spend...

Electicity:£22 per mth

Water:£53 water per mth

Gas:£30 per mth

Phone/Broadband:£60 per mth

Council Tax:£114 per mth

Meal in Local Pub:£7-£12

Pint in local pub:£3.20

Pint in Wetherspoons:£1.99/spirits with mixer £1.99,can get two meals for £6.49,cheaper than McDonalds lol

Petrol:£1.36 p/l

Shopping:Approx £60 for two adults

Went in Asda yesterday and they had bags of carrots 50p,Broccoli 50p,tomatoes £1 per punnet(I think it was 1kg)and lots of grocery items for £1.

Edited by Jacaranda

Guest chris955
We earned combined around 40k uk pounds here, same jobs, over $120k.....wages are definitely better here, some stuff more expensive, some cheaper, overall similar but edge is with Au

Yes some people definitely earn more in Australia, others earn less and the rest earn about the same.

The median household income in Australia is $62,000, that is what the real average family earn.

Is that after tax? if you include tax, gross income would be about $100k.

From the Australian 2011 census the median weekly household income is $1234 whereas the UK median weekly household income is in 2010 was £499. (These are after tax and include benefits)

Catching up on this thread and not sure where it went so off the beaten track. It's in MBTTUK and the OP topic was cost of living in the UK.

Anyways, I'm trying to work out our costs but can't chip in food shopping or stuff like that really so will add a few other things to contribute for those interested or considering returning to the UK

Bristol area

Fuel, UL currently £1.39 a litre

Landline phone with BT broadband and BT vision - £42 a month

Water rates yearly - £516.54

Council tax yearly for 3 bed house -£1400

Mobile phone £36 per month total package for 18 month contract

Car tax - £210 per year for 1.8 estate

Car insurance - both hubby and I, fully comp -£283 (this rises year on year now even with many years no claims behind us).

Food shopping I don't keep track of well enough. We have a Waitrose and Tesco local to us and I use Waitrose mostly but pop in to Tesco from time to time. Both supermarkets operate a price comparison policy so most general branded products cost the same in both unless on special for a week. Own brand usually a penny or two cheaper in Tesco but that isn't reason enough for me to shop there regularly. Waitrose often has good deals and reduced meat etc at bargin prices that I fill up the freezer with.

We also have an Asda and Morrisons within a few miles but I very rarely use those.

School uniform (most supermarkets are around this price)

£2 for two white polo tops

£2 per pair of trousers

£10 for a logo school sweater

Clarkes school shoes -£30 (or £22 at Clarkes village)

Should add we don't drink much alcohol so can't comment on price of booze in store or out.

A meal for two of us at a local pub, main course only and with a soft drink each cost £18 the other week

10 pin bowling for 2 adults and one child £14 per game.

Orange Wednesday at participating cinemas - two for one. So £8.80 instead of £17.60

However, 500ml bottle of still water and a bag of maltesers cost £5 at the cinema. Popcorn sets you back minimum of £3.50 :/

TBH I'm really getting the impression it's comparable. We're looking at our move to Sydney in terms of a move to the South East of England, the earning potential is much better - than in Northern England - in terms of what we both do (the fact my OH's starting salary will be comparable to our combined salary here tells you all you need to know) but the costs (especially property) will be higher. Still, I know my brother and his girlfriend have managed in Brighton for a long time now on a pub manager's and civil servant's salary so I'm sure we'll manage too and I think that, eventually we'll be better off in the long run, if only in terms of having the things we love (good beaches etc) on our doorstep and therefore not having to shell out to travel to them.

Aside from being the ridiculously, annoyingly proud northerner I am, one of my favourite places in the UK is the South West and before we set our sights on Oz it was always our destination, but industry there is non-existent and ask all but the richest local and they'll tell you that to live there means to be poor but happy. I'm hoping Sydney will be a little more than that.

In reality the price variation depends on what you are buying. Looking at electrical items, laptops in particular - there is almost nothing in it. Strictly speaking I would have thought Oz would have the advantage as the dollar is strong, and if you sourced it yourself and avoided GST, Oz probably would be cheaper.

Food is a tricky one - as Oz doesn't import that much food, so you lose the dollar advantage. Whereas the UK does import a lot of food, although much of that is from Europe - where the pound/Euro is fairly stable. You also have much greater supermarket competition in the UK which drives down prices.

Services you will pay for in Oz. That plumber is charging three times the UK rate if you believe some people - so you'll pay through the nose.

Your big expense - rent or mortgage will be more in Oz. Rates are coming down, but rents are going up. Buying would be the prefered option if it wasn't for the crap exchange rate.

Most of the rest are swings and roundabouts.

Edited by newjez
spelling

In reality the price variation depends on what you are buying. Looking at electrical items, laptops in particular - there is almost nothing in it. Strictly speaking I would have thought Oz would have the advantage as the dollar is strong, and if you sourced it yourself and avoided GST, Oz probably would be cheaper.

Food is a tricky one - as Oz doesn't import that much food, so you lose the dollar advantage. Whereas the UK does import a lot of food, although much of that is from Europe - where the pound/Euro is fairly stable. You also have much greater supermarket competition in the UK which drives down prices.

Services you will pay for in Oz. That plumber is charging three times the UK rate if you believe some people - so you'll pay through the nose.

Your big expense - rent or mortgage will be more in Oz. Rates are coming down, but rents are going up. Buying would be the prefered option if it wasn't for the crap exchange rate.

Most of the rest are swings and roundabouts.

Have you seen the cost of them these days? ;)

Clarkes school shoes -£30 (or £22 at Clarkes village)

Go to Brantano's! They sell own-brand, Clarkes and Hush Puppy shoes, but we only buy whatever's in the clearance sale (£22 down to £6 anyone?!) - we get a whole heap of various sizes, knowing that they'll fit one of the kids at some point. Our kids' shoes range from size 4 to size 12, so I've got 3 plastic drawers full of brand new shoes, and whenever a child outgrows a pair I have a rummage through the drawers and fetch out their next pair. Costs a fair bit upfront as I buy several pairs at once, but it equates to a lot less over the course of a year. Plus the kids love it - they think they've got their own little shoe shop! ;-)

Go to Brantano's! They sell own-brand, Clarkes and Hush Puppy shoes, but we only buy whatever's in the clearance sale (£22 down to £6 anyone?!)

Sounds good but the only one in our county is a long drive away from where we are and Clarke's village is much nearer. Cost and time wise I'm not sure it would be worth going the extra miles.

I can honestly say that we have found very little difference in costs to that of the UK. My partner is out in Oz and I am about to go but when we there together in August this year we had heard lots about people telling us how expensive Ox had got. Including my brother who has lived out there for years! When we got there we did find that it wasn't as cheap as we'd experienced years previously but it was on more of a par with the UK. A few food bits are dearer but we found that it kind of all evened out. Maybe the Aussies have seen a rise over the past few years but as you say, let's not forget how expensive it is to live in the UK now! At least the sun shines more in Australia and the culture is a plus!

Guest chris955
I can honestly say that we have found very little difference in costs to that of the UK. My partner is out in Oz and I am about to go but when we there together in August this year we had heard lots about people telling us how expensive Ox had got. Including my brother who has lived out there for years! When we got there we did find that it wasn't as cheap as we'd experienced years previously but it was on more of a par with the UK. A few food bits are dearer but we found that it kind of all evened out. Maybe the Aussies have seen a rise over the past few years but as you say, let's not forget how expensive it is to live in the UK now! At least the sun shines more in Australia and the culture is a plus!

I can only comment on what we found after living in Australia for many years and how (comparatively) cheap it is here. There used to be a huge difference in things such as groceries, utilities, insurance etc but we are now finding that our electricity is in fact cheaper here, food is definitely cheaper and the variety is enormous and even running a car for us is only very slightly more here because of the rising cost of Rego in Australia. As I say I can only comment on our own experience.

Guest Guest76386
I can only comment on what we found after living in Australia for many years and how (comparatively) cheap it is here. There used to be a huge difference in things such as groceries, utilities, insurance etc but we are now finding that our electricity is in fact cheaper here, food is definitely cheaper and the variety is enormous and even running a car for us is only very slightly more here because of the rising cost of Rego in Australia. As I say I can only comment on our own experience.

Im interested to no where you lived in oz howardbound588. I no this is off topic on this thread as it is UK costs. I visited my aunty last night, she was the mayor of Ipswich, suffolk for a few years and is very involved and high up in councils spending alot of her time in London. She has never seen the Uk in the state its in. The prices of certain things are only expected to increase in her opinion and there is no signs of it easing up at present. Alot of drastic measures for this country are being considered to try and save it. Things the Uk would never of considered before. I dont know the ins and outs of it. Im not political, but all i hope for is improvemnet as im buying a property here at the end of the year and hope to return to the UK around 2015 with my fiance. I will never dispute that the UK is a not great country. I like the different culture.

Edited by Guest76386

Guest chris955
Im interested to no where you lived in oz howardbound588. I no this is off topic on this thread as it is UK costs. I visited my aunty last night, she was the mayor of Ipswich, suffolk for a few years and is very involved and high up in councils spending alot of her time in London. She has never seen the Uk in the state its in. The prices of certain things are only expected to increase in her opinion and there is no signs of it easing up at present. Alot of drastic measures for this country are being considered to try and save it. Things the Uk would never of considered before. I dont know the ins and outs of it. Im not political, but all i hope for is improvemnet as im buying a property here at the end of the year and hope to return to the UK around 2015 with my fiance. I will never dispute that the UK is a not great country. I like the different culture.

We were near Brisbane. Im not sure what you mean about trying to save the country ? As I said all we can do is comment on our own experiences and what we are actually seeing. When I look at the 14,000 plus public service workers being made redundant in Queensland plus in other States as well all I see is that times are hard all round, you cant escape it.

Guest Guest76386

I think them redundant public service sector employees losing there jobs are all part of the big picture in Queensland. Campbell newman has alot of pressure on him to fix what the labour party has done and the dedt they left. From my point of view in the long run he will benifit Queensland and pick there economy back up. Hes pulling the plug on a few things, that wasted money. He has helped with rising electricity costs saying they wont be supplying govermnet buildings if they increase prices. Queensland does need this. For a new comer anywhere can be hard to get established and settled and begin life. You have to start all over again and its hard. Australia has one of the best economy in the world to do this. Its on paper. Im established in Brisbane. I never find getting work hard. There is building going on everywhere when you travel around.Prices dropped but it wont stop there like its come to a halt here.

By saying trying to save the country im saying The uk is in big dedt and looking at options they never considered. Doesnt have options like Australia in other sectors so they are looking offshore for ways of bailing them out.

Like i said im not political, my biggest concern at the moment is trying to fit all my cheap shoes ive bought in sports direct into my suitcase and see how many bottles of ribena i can fit in my onboard back to "drink on the plane " . If only Australia had a sports direct, id be a happy man.