Is Perth really as expensive

rsg2369

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would really love to know where verystormy went for lunch with a $600 bill and what meal they had for that !!!!

If you want cheap drinks ....join a sporting club ie tennis club,bowling club.....drinks much cheaper than at pubs and a great social gathering as well.

I belong to City Beach tennis club.....very social and very welcoming to new members we have play and stay once a month where a few members make food and members get a wonderful range of delicious food for under $10 each and usually plenty of food.

We have social tennis every sat,sun afternoon and on public holidays,it has a very strong contingent of junior players it is in a lovely location 5 mins walk to the beach.

A nice place to eat and food cheap,service is quick and very friendly is on scarborough beach rd,behind innaloo cinemas ....Tao...has thai,japanese and vietnamese,it has a sushi train revolving around with lots of yummmy things to choose from ....I can recommend the octopus balls.

I have just watched the first episode of wanted down under and yes it's dear for a lot of things in Australia, but the wages they are paying are incredible, plus they have had big average pay rises over there over the last 3 years, whereas here in the UK most have had no pay rise at all.

Not everyone gets an incredible wage Jim, certainly my hubby wasn't on as much as he got in the UK when we first arrived

For the OP we went out for dinner for my sons birthday local Bistro (which has won an award for best bistro) - great food - 4 adult main meals $126

Edited by ali

I have just watched the first episode of wanted down under and yes it's dear for a lot of things in Australia, but the wages they are paying are incredible, plus they have had big average pay rises over there over the last 3 years, whereas here in the UK most have had no pay rise at all.

Incredible wages :laugh:

Rockpool Burswood. We had 4 starters between us, me an my son both had the rib eye steak and my wife a pasta dish for mains. Can't remember what we had for desert and then some petit fours. Went to Nobu earlier in the year and that was $380 for 2. So comparable. We had eaten at Rockpool in Sydney 4 years ago and it was about $400 for 2.

I would really love to know where verystormy went for lunch with a $600 bill and what meal they had for that !!!!

If you want cheap drinks ....join a sporting club ie tennis club,bowling club.....drinks much cheaper than at pubs and a great social gathering as well.

I belong to City Beach tennis club.....very social and very welcoming to new members we have play and stay once a month where a few members make food and members get a wonderful range of delicious food for under $10 each and usually plenty of food.

We have social tennis every sat,sun afternoon and on public holidays,it has a very strong contingent of junior players it is in a lovely location 5 mins walk to the beach.

A nice place to eat and food cheap,service is quick and very friendly is on scarborough beach rd,behind innaloo cinemas ....Tao...has thai,japanese and vietnamese,it has a sushi train revolving around with lots of yummmy things to choose from ....I can recommend the octopus balls.

Rockpool Burswood. We had 4 starters between us, me an my son both had the rib eye steak and my wife a pasta dish for mains. Can't remember what we had for desert and then some petit fours. Went to Nobu earlier in the year and that was $380 for 2. So comparable. We had eaten at Rockpool in Sydney 4 years ago and it was about $400 for 2.

Very misleading, not your average Perth restaurant then really.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Not everyone gets an incredible wage Jim, certainly my hubby wasn't on as much as he got in the UK when we first arrived

For the OP we went out for dinner for my sons birthday local Bistro (which has won an award for best bistro) - great food - 4 adult main meals $126

I know that Ali, I have said that many times, it's just the same here in the UK, not everyone gets the average pay of £22,000, millions upon millions get far less. In Australia average pay is running at over £65,000 and obviously some are on less than this, but most folk on PIO are skilled migrants, who should hopefully get at least the average pay figure.

I know that Ali, I have said that many times, it's just the same here in the UK, not everyone gets the average pay of £22,000, millions upon millions get far less. In Australia average pay is running at over £65,000 and obviously some are on less than this, but most folk on PIO are skilled migrants, who should hopefully get at least the average pay figure.

Average pay 65,000 GBP? News to me. That's $100,000 way above average earnings.

I did assume he may ....but just to affirm that is the case. $65,000 would be fair estimate but remember that is a figure taken from somewhere in between the highest and lowest earners. Business is pushing very hard to lower costs. I expect middle order earners to be squeezed pretty hard in the coming years. Australia is just too expensive to do business in...

Very misleading, not your average Perth restaurant then really.

I don't think so. Given if we were in the UK we would eat at equivalent restaurants. The big difference being that lunch in the UK is normally, even in the best, is usually very good value. For example, it is possible to eat at Hestons new place in London for about £25 a head. That is what I find annoying as Perth charges rates up there with the best in the world but the result is far from.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Interesting article on ABC news this morning pointing out that 20% of Australians are earning less than $600 a week.

It will be the same as the UK, it's based on averages, but most folk here on PIO are migrating on a skilled visa which means they will be getting the average of $65,000 or even more in some cases.

Unless your a complete teapot then yes your not going to earn a decent wage.If on the other hand you have a job with a skill set that they want and in demand your going to earn. A decent wage .If you have the balls to do it and not talk about it all the time then my hat is off to any family or individual who is willing to take the chance on a new life down under .Uk will still be here and you can always hop on a flight back to the lovely winter weather approaching fast .Fortune favours the brave

Unless your a complete teapot then yes your not going to earn a decent wage.If on the other hand you have a job with a skill set that they want and in demand your going to earn. A decent wage .If you have the balls to do it and not talk about it all the time then my hat is off to any family or individual who is willing to take the chance on a new life down under .Uk will still be here and you can always hop on a flight back to the lovely winter weather approaching fast .Fortune favours the brave

No offense, Jake, but I think you are being a little blinkered. I have been around this forum and a few others enough years to have seen plenty of people come over with "high demand" skills and find that they aren't in much demand at all and find themselves in dead end jobs earning next to nothing. As for just hopping on a plane, there are several posters on here who would love to but are financially trapped in Oz.

Oz can be a great place to live and the move incredibly positive for many, but there are a fair few for whom it it isn't

yeah it was $65,000 iPad issues, still great money though, lol.

Afraid $65,000 before tax isn't great money here in OZ. Doable though. Looking at the part of the world we live in just how long wages will remain high by UK standards is debatable. I do agree though some UK wages are shocking......still 8% unemployment must be considered near to full employment for those with 25% unemployed in Greece,Spain etc......Can't help but think it will self regulate in OZ as well come the next downturn with the amount of imported tradies about.......

No offense, Jake, but I think you are being a little blinkered. I have been around this forum and a few others enough years to have seen plenty of people come over with "high demand" skills and find that they aren't in much demand at all and find themselves in dead end jobs earning next to nothing. As for just hopping on a plane, there are several posters on here who would love to but are financially trapped in Oz.

Oz can be a great place to live and the move incredibly positive for many, but there are a fair few for whom it it isn't

blinkered not ,offence taken life's to short for that.

what I'm trying to get across here on this post is there as many people trapped in the same situation in the uk

i,m not saying its an easier life not at all .in fact it's harder to take the chance sell your family house bring your family to the other side of the world to start again.no it not easy my friend just done that 2 months in advance ,in Perth for two months found it really hard to find a job at first due to oz licence law for electricians (just changed year of supervision required for new arrivals) anyway

What I am saying if you are willing to give it a go then go for it ,if not then fine but there is far to much negativity from posters on everything from visas to food on this site .Lets be upbeat verystormy having run my own business and seen it devastated by the global recession enough is enough if you want change no government going to do it for you you do it for yourself

Totally agree. In fact you sound like the sort of guy I would meet for a beer lol.

I get pointed at bit on here as someone who posts negative, in reality I think I post negative to people who think Oz is some sort of utopia. I think it is important for potential migrants to understand that yes it has a lot to offer, but coming with the wrong reasons can be a huge mistake and it is a huge move for a family. We came 4 years ago and it has been very good for us. But, I have seen a lot of heartbreak as well from people it didn't work out for and it was in several cases blindingly obvious. In others it is just bad luck and in some circumstances beyond control.

At the moment I have had a fair few pm's from people from my industry that have been made redundant recently and it breaks my heart I can't help practically with giving them a job.

blinkered not ,offence taken life's to short for that.

what I'm trying to get across here on this post is there as many people trapped in the same situation in the uk

i,m not saying its an easier life not at all .in fact it's harder to take the chance sell your family house bring your family to the other side of the world to start again.no it not easy my friend just done that 2 months in advance ,in Perth for two months found it really hard to find a job at first due to oz licence law for electricians (just changed year of supervision required for new arrivals) anyway

What I am saying if you are willing to give it a go then go for it ,if not then fine but there is far to much negativity from posters on everything from visas to food on this site .Lets be upbeat verystormy having run my own business and seen it devastated by the global recession enough is enough if you want change no government going to do it for you you do it for yourself

Totally agree. In fact you sound like the sort of guy I would meet for a beer lol.

I get pointed at bit on here as someone who posts negative, in reality I think I post negative to people who think Oz is some sort of utopia. I think it is important for potential migrants to understand that yes it has a lot to offer, but coming with the wrong reasons can be a huge mistake and it is a huge move for a family. We came 4 years ago and it has been very good for us. But, I have seen a lot of heartbreak as well from people it didn't work out for and it was in several cases blindingly obvious. In others it is just bad luck and in some circumstances beyond control.

At the moment I have had a fair few pm's from people from my industry that have been made redundant recently and it breaks my heart I can't help practically with giving them a job.

Not forgetting it took you quite some time,years in fact to become a happier camper.

Guest guest17301

This whole thing about people thinking Oz is some kind of Utopia, who thinks this? Who post such things? I think it's a cliche of PIO...we all know the pitfalls and negative points but because we prefer Australia and are in general very positive about the experience of life here doesnt mean we are deluded and unrealistic

No not what I was getting at Fiona ,plenty of very helpful advice on this forum.

my point to cut to the chase everyone has to do it for themselves what's right for someone may not suit the person under no elusions

that oz is an easy move and no money don't come cheap the whole process cost a bloody fortune so I say all said and done who has the balls to go for it all the best

I like Alpen and I like it with Soya milk

Here in the Russian federation I pay 9 quid for Alpen - small packet (2.5 bowls) and I pay 6 quid for the milk. Rent, Cars, furnature and eating out is extorsion in WA, other than that its fine.:biggrin:

that said i dont want to come to Oz and search garbage cans for free food. You emigrate to have a better life and Perth is hopefully a good base for me

Edited by dustyroad

I like Alpen and I like it with Soya milk

Here in the Russian federation I pay 9 quid for Alpen - small packet (2.5 bowls) and I pay 6 quid for the milk. Rent, Cars, furnature and eating out is extorsion in WA, other than that its fine.:biggrin:

But I hate the cold and a russian winter is a coming !!!!!

I love Alpen too. Finally found a store in the city of Perth that sold it for about $16....only to find it closed down a year or so later. Still searching another outlet here in Perth.

Not sure why anyone would want to live in the Russisan Federation to be honest. Must be a good reason your there.

I love Alpen too. Finally found a store in the city of Perth that sold it for about $16....only to find it closed down a year or so later. Still searching another outlet here in Perth.

Not sure why anyone would want to live in the Russisan Federation to be honest. Must be a good reason your there.

Woolies stock it. In the foreign food section.