Is Perth really as expensive

rsg2369

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But with Sydney you have a huge city with plenty to do, see etc... It's one of the most famous cities in the world. Not some dusty old town in the arse end of knowhere where prices should be the cheapest in oz not the dearest

Yes Sydney is huge with plenty to do, see etc and is one of the most famous cities in the world. But as I am not a big city girl, I prefer to live in the beautiful quiet and peaceful Perth. There are heaps to do here in Perth if you have to go out to have your entertainment manufactured for you. And personally I think Sydney is a filthy place.... dirt and rubbish lying around all over the place. I had a long walk through Citenial Park one day and it was disgustingly full of litter - bottles - cans everywhere.

You seem quite unhappy about coming back to Perth Paul - maybe a move to the eastern seaboard might be more suited to you.

Each to his own though. The world would be a boring place if we were all the same.

But with Sydney you have a huge city with plenty to do, see etc... It's one of the most famous cities in the world. Not some dusty old town in the arse end of knowhere where prices should be the cheapest in oz not the dearest

Expense sadly doesn'talways rate with the level of fame of a city. Some of the most expensive cities in the world are in the arse end of nowhere as you put it. Luanda in Angolia comes to mind...oil pushed the price uo there.....Abijan in Ivory Coast.....Moscow is now perhaps the most expensive city in Europe.....

Perth as I have stated for five or so years now is an expensive town. A rip off in many areas. Now that's not too say many won't like it and claim it being laid back etc...Each to their own. To be honest if I preferred a small town ambiance than Sydney or Melbourne may offer I would possibly go for Adelaide before Perth..but that's just me.

Guest Ptp113

Ever thought about freight costs china?

Had a great time, don't really know why I even botherd moving down under. Made a mistake doing it, I may well earn higher wages but I'm worst off living in Perth, you can do far more on less in England. Just read the post on this site.. The sacrifices people are making just to live there, not going out that often, not eating out that often, driving old cars, shopping all over perth just to keep the weekly food bill down, poor television / radio, overpriced houses the list can go on. We all moved there for a better life but the things people are doing just to survive there is it...? How many families in perth can afford to take the kids aboard for a holiday...? Most people no chance .. Am I missing something about the place...? And I may well look over east but ill have a bette life in the end in England

I kind of felt the same thing when I was in Perth and that is why I left in 2010. Having spent over 2.5 years in the UK now I am regretting it. The UK is hardly cheap, everything is going up, like fuel costs for example. I do agree that Perth is over priced but otoh the lifestyle is so much better than the UK and Perth makes the UK look like a tip. I'd think about Adelaide or something but really I'm tied to Perth 'cos that is where my industry tends to be based...but not always. I might live out way, way in the 'burbs next time, like far North, or the hills.

Edited by Joseph Rydell

There are plenty of things in Perth that are compatible With the uk and some that are actually cheaper, also the wage a skilled person can earn in Perth is treble what you can earn in the uk. So all in all Perth in comparison taking into account the wage difference is IMO cheeper than he UK.

PS I'm there now

Just interested to know if you are you talking central Perth or do prices vary the further you go outside of Perth eg northern, southern, etc suburbs? After all if you were to compare London prices to Yorkshire prices or a major city compared to a suburb much further away from the centre in the UK there will always a marked difference based on location.

There are plenty of things in Perth that are compatible With the uk and some that are actually cheaper, also the wage a skilled person can earn in Perth is treble what you can earn in the uk. So all in all Perth in comparison taking into account the wage difference is IMO cheeper than he UK.

PS I'm there now

Treble ...? Let me know where these jobs are .!!!!

PS I'm there now

Perth in no shape or form can be described as cheap. Some folk may be earning well over the average of $65,000 or there abouts,for the moment. The so called boom has distorted the scene here. But it will not last forever....tradies may well feel the competition then as will everybody else.

Perth in no shape or form can be described as cheap. Some folk may be earning well over the average of $65,000 or there abouts,for the moment. The so called boom has distorted the scene here. But it will not last forever....tradies may well feel the competition then as will everybody else.

Yes it's not cheep, but it's not as bad as many make out, eating out is expiencieve and accommodation is also, food from the supermarkets is not too bad, public transport and petrol are cheeper.

For now wages are high in certain trades due to boom conditions. How long this will last is debatable. The onus is on less employment costs by business. Come the next downturn it can again be expected too many tradies will see rates fall. Unlike other times of boom/bust we now live in a very expensive city.......it will be interesting.

In the meantime eat,drink and be merry.......

Guest guest80918

The standard of living has risen due to the resource industry. You'd expect wages to go up with real estate, bills etc but they haven't so people working/living in Perth feel the heat whilst the cashed up bogans are zipping around on their jet skies. Perth pubs don't have any pokies machines either so pub meals/drinks are more expensive than the east coast.

We struggle on $100,000 each on a 457, if we had PR and that's the only reason we are still here, waiting for it, it would be easier but still, weather aside we are worse off than in the UK when working. However DH wasn't working so that's the crux of the matter, if ever DH got laid off we would be out of WA like a bat out of hell.

We struggle on $100,000 each on a 457, if we had PR and that's the only reason we are still here, waiting for it, it would be easier but still, weather aside we are worse off than in the UK when working. However DH wasn't working so that's the crux of the matter, if ever DH got laid off we would be out of WA like a bat out of hell.

You earn $200k between you and struggle? Seriously?

Sorry :biggrin: Our household income is similar and we don't struggle. This poster must be doing something really wrong in their budgeting if they are struggling. We maintain 2 homes at present, have 2 kids in private school, all the usual sporting/music classes, high bills and we still manage to save a bit.

Plus earning that kind of salary it doesn't matter if you are PR or not. You get naff all help at that level of salary anyway.