Is Perth really as expensive

rsg2369

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaha, I don't know about that! No 457's don't have to pay international, but as for getting places at these schools I think having quite a smart daughter helped! :wink:

I don't think it matters unless they can judge your child's intelligence by the voice of the parents over the telephone. I guess you were in the right place at the right time.

I don't think it matters unless they can judge your child's intelligence by the voice of the parents over the telephone. I guess you were in the right place at the right time.

Pretty sarcastic reply. How do you know that school reports/personal interview were not taken into consideration?

Pretty sarcastic reply. How do you know that school reports/personal interview were not taken into consideration?

Actually we did have to be interviewed and provide her previous school reports, at all 4 of the schools we liked the look of. She was lucky enough to be offered a place at 3 of them.

Guest The Pom Queen

AFAIK in WA the 457 gives you the same rights as someone with PR when it comes to education. The only time you would have to pay international fees is when the private school cannot claim their share of government money for having you there and they claim the top up fee from yourself. PP I think you need to discuss this with them as it sounds like they don't realise what your visa is.

It wasn't sarcastic at all, we telephoned and were told by more than one school that 457 = international fees, how bright or otherwise the child was really didn't come into it.

But I shall be delighted to be wrong that would save me 25% on the budget, I'll go crazy and treat myself to a watermelon with the surplus cash.

I think it's all comparative. If you look at the average UK income, to the cost of living, you can survive ok. If you look at the Perth's average income to cost of living it's about the same. If you compare the UK average income to the Perth cost of living, then yes it is expensive. But you won't be earning a UK wage in Perth, so that is really a moot point. If you expect to live in the lap of luxury, you have same chance of that happening irrespective of where you live. If you want to live and make your pound or dollar go further, you will.

How you live is the biggest factor in weather a place is expensive.

Yes. Extortionate.

It wasn't sarcastic at all, we telephoned and were told by more than one school that 457 = international fees, how bright or otherwise the child was really didn't come into it.

But I shall be delighted to be wrong that would save me 25% on the budget, I'll go crazy and treat myself to a watermelon with the surplus cash.

I think a couple of lemons would be best suited

Perth can be expensive but being a family of five we often opt for picnics in one of the many beautiful parks or next to a river/beach. The lifestyle we now have far outweighs a few of the cutbacks we have made eg eating out, kids clubs. We have a larger house than in the UK but yet our living costs vs income are comparable to what we had left over at the end of each month. Living in Perth is a no brainer to my family and I. We love it!!!:cute: