HELP!! Dilemma: Wait for a job offer or make the move to Oz without one?

Aussie Hopeful

Hi all,

Would really appreciate the benefit of your experience on this one.

We had our visa granted about 4 weeks ago and we are unbelievably excited about making to move to Perth. As we have limited funds, we decided to wait until I secured a job (VET teacher/lecturer) before making the permanent move out to Perth. However, so far, this has proved more difficult than I first thought. Despite having mountains of experience and qualifications and a diversity of skills, I am even struggling to get shortlisted for even a basic teaching role. I have changed my CV to suit, tailoired my letters to meet the criteria in the format that the Aussies are loking for, but time after time, they are shortlisting Aussies over me and after speaking to a number of employers (who have been brutally honest), they are stating that I am a risk to employ because of not being there for a face to face interview and the chance that I might not come (which isn't that case). I completely understand where they are coming from and know that if I could get my foot in the door somewhere, I would be fine.

We have sold everything (and I mean everything short of our clothes and a few small bits we want to take) and are currently residing with family. Not the most ideal situation. We also have a 16month boy to consider. We vhave enough money to cover costs for the first month, possibly 2 at a stretch.

Our dilemma is this: Do we sit and wait until I eventually get offered a job. Or, do we book our flights, apply for jobs notifying them of when we are arriving and do some serious job seeking when we get there.

Any advice you guys could offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Guest Jen257

Hi chris, we are in the same situation. My hubby is a mechanical design engineer also looking to move to Perth. He's had the same response. You're not there therefore nothing is available. We have decided to move then look for work. He has been told on many occasions that he will get work easily.

Good luck.

Hi Chris

I would book your flights and go. You can always get work in a supermarket/shop to tide you over if things get tight. If you have had the feedback you are getting it suggests that you are a really good candidate, but that employers are unlikely to offer you a job without seeing you. While this must be very frustrating and very scary, from the opposite point of view, would you want to employ someone you had never met?

My only difference to your suggestion would be to book your flights, do the serious job hunting before you get on the plane, and include in your cover letter when you will be landing. You may find that leads to a few interviews - maybe even a first few via skype, with second interviews when you get there.

I'd also recommend looking at youth hostels as places to stay (based on personal past experience). Many of them have family rooms (certainly the ones we stayed in did), and they have a kitchen with all the utensils provided, and very often internet access. It can make for a cheap start, which will allow your money to stretch further when you first land. When I lived in Canada, and went travelling around on holiday, I met a lot of young families staying in youth hostels who had just emigrated and wanted to find work before sorting themselves out with accommodation that was potentially too expensive, or in a completely different part of town from where they worked.

Good luck! It will be scary but it will be worth it!

Best wishes

Carolyn

Hi Chris - have you considered coming out first and then the family following once you have a job? Not ideal I know but if you have limited funds it might be worth thinking about.

As an employer I can tell you I won't interview offshore applicants anymore unless I am desperate for a niche skill set that is just not available here. Too many offshore applicants turn out to be time wasters or want to delay their start dates etc - they are more trouble than they are worth. Being in Aust would improve your chances IMO.

Hi Chris - have you considered coming out first and then the family following once you have a job? Not ideal I know but if you have limited funds it might be worth thinking about.

As an employer I can tell you I won't interview offshore applicants anymore unless I am desperate for a niche skill set that is just not available here. Too many offshore applicants turn out to be time wasters or want to delay their start dates etc - they are more trouble than they are worth. Being in Aust would improve your chances IMO.

Where is your like Tab??....edit, that was strange its back now

Hi,

We arrived in W.A. in May 2012 and I have to say there are lots of jobs here but you stand a better chance of getting one when you arrive than applying from overseas. The australians are great and with your qualifications you should be fine. If ever you are near Cockburn, south of the river give me a shout and we can meet up. It is a growing suburb and alot of companies are setting up here, schools are also expanding so this is the place to head for. xxx We have researched jobs in your profession and there are plenty, trust me xxx GOOD LUCK!

As you are already living with family, then you have already started to make a leap but you are clinging on. You need to let go and jump. I think there are two ways of doing it, the bolder just book the flights and come or, as there is a little one involved, I would seriously consider you coming out by yourself in the first instance.

Time and time again, people note that they cannot get a look in whilst they are still overseas but it is different when they are on the ground. I am no exception, this was exactly my experience too.

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your advice and guidance. You really only confirmed what we thought we needed to do and having sold everything else, Rupert, you were right, we were just clinging on to the last thing we had. Well, we booked our flights last week and will fly our on 19th August. Amazingly, we have some temporary accomodation in the form of a friend who is going to put us up until we get on our feet, so a massive burden off us there.

We are so excited now and just the good bye's to say over the next few weeks and some serious job applying to do and networking to do. I have been making a point of speaking to most of the employers anyway, so hoping to arrange some meeting when we arrive.

Thanks again guys, I will keep you all updated on our progress.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just thought I would give you an update. We arrived in Perth on 20th August and was surprised at how ok the flight was. We were fortunate enough that a friend of a friend had offered to take us in until we got on our feet, so the day after we arrived, we went and sorted everything (bank, medicare, tax number etc etc). I had also done a lot of groundwork job wise before we landed so I had an informal interview 2 days after arriving. Anyway, I had my final interview the tuesday just gone and they have offered me the job. I was concerned that I would have to move sidewards or even down for a job, but this is a promotion from what I was doing in the UK and the package is excellent. We now just need to find somewhere to live and looking at a house in Quinns, perth today. Not bad for 2 and a half weeks!

I have to say though that it hasn't all been plain sailing. My wife has found it very difficult with not having the familiarity and her own place. What has made it worse is our little boy has been ill with throat infection and conjunctivitis for the first 2 weeks so none of us slept and someone crashed into the back of the hire car which was a nightmare and cost us $4700. However, we should be getting this back. Now that we have a job, my wife is finding it easier and is a lot happier.

Thanks again for all of your advice. i am glad that we just bit the bullet and came out. If any of you know anyone who is selling furniture then please let me know.

Chris

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your advice and guidance. You really only confirmed what we thought we needed to do and having sold everything else, Rupert, you were right, we were just clinging on to the last thing we had. Well, we booked our flights last week and will fly our on 19th August. Amazingly, we have some temporary accomodation in the form of a friend who is going to put us up until we get on our feet, so a massive burden off us there.

We are so excited now and just the good bye's to say over the next few weeks and some serious job applying to do and networking to do. I have been making a point of speaking to most of the employers anyway, so hoping to arrange some meeting when we arrive.

Thanks again guys, I will keep you all updated on our progress.

Chris

Best of luck ! I am moving to Melb in Nov, no job as yet but hoping that changes soon - will go anyway and chance my luck. Fortunately my partner has a job to go to and is an aussie. still a little scary though! All the best!

We made the move on less than $10,000 and I would say that providing you are sensible and keep your expectations in check in the first instance, it is do-able. Lisa, you are definitely coming with the right attitude. What I didn't mention was the fact that I had already set up other work (nothing to do with my occupation) just in case the jobs I wanted didn't turn out. From my limited experience, the Aussie employment market wasn't as easy to get into as it first seems and it is a lot about who you know etc. Providing you can show that you are hardworking and you get your foot in the door somewhere, you will soon make a breakthrough. Lisa, what are your occupations?

Chris

Hi all,

Just thought I would give you an update. We arrived in Perth on 20th August and was surprised at how ok the flight was. We were fortunate enough that a friend of a friend had offered to take us in until we got on our feet, so the day after we arrived, we went and sorted everything (bank, medicare, tax number etc etc). I had also done a lot of groundwork job wise before we landed so I had an informal interview 2 days after arriving. Anyway, I had my final interview the tuesday just gone and they have offered me the job. I was concerned that I would have to move sidewards or even down for a job, but this is a promotion from what I was doing in the UK and the package is excellent. We now just need to find somewhere to live and looking at a house in Quinns, perth today. Not bad for 2 and a half weeks!

I have to say though that it hasn't all been plain sailing. My wife has found it very difficult with not having the familiarity and her own place. What has made it worse is our little boy has been ill with throat infection and conjunctivitis for the first 2 weeks so none of us slept and someone crashed into the back of the hire car which was a nightmare and cost us $4700. However, we should be getting this back. Now that we have a job, my wife is finding it easier and is a lot happier.

Thanks again for all of your advice. i am glad that we just bit the bullet and came out. If any of you know anyone who is selling furniture then please let me know.

Chris

What a great update, so glad it worked out. We were unsettled at first and the turning point was finding a house, hopefully you will find the same. I have noticed that quite a few people seem to pick up bugs / colds etc when they first arrive, I have thought maybe there are slightly different strains that our immune systems are not accustomed too.

We made the move on less than $10,000 and I would say that providing you are sensible and keep your expectations in check in the first instance, it is do-able.

Chris

Wow, Chris - this is really great considering the fact that Perth is one of the most expensive cities in all of Oz! I hope things work out for your family! Thanks for letting us know about your success - it is very encouraging!

maybe read the other post on news chat and dilemmas

weve nearly run out of money (nearly),,,Eeeekkk

I would be securing jobs before risking being in the situation, those poor people are in

Unfortunately they chose the Gold Coast though! Not the best place for jobs

Seems to be Australia wide now, so many unemployed Aussies,Building Industry at its worst for years,prices rocketing,Retail struggling

I wouldent take the risk now,of coming without securing employment and somewhere to live

We have seen massive changes in 5 years,it was tough to get work when we came, but I would not risk everything now,especially with a family in tow, and not a lot of money , behind me, just in case

When I look back at our arrival, I cringe, and thank our lucky stars,that we did manage to get ourselves sorted,it was more luck than judgement

We had no-where to stay, and knew no-one

How lucky were we,??? that we managed to get sorted out

But it was unpleasant, highly stressful and it cost a heck of a lot of money,just to survive,far more than we had ever anticipated

If I had to do it again, I would make sure everything was in place for my arrival, accomodation,work etc

I hope everyone comes here and finds well paid work, and homes and it all falls into place, but the reality is a lot do not,and everyone needs to be realistic, and be prepared for that .Its not negative, its commonsense.

We were lulled into a false sense of security,we dismissed the negative stuff we read and heard, and I know when you are emigrating,its very easy to do that.You want your new life to be everything you imagined and more,but you have to have a plan B,just in case

Times are tough out here now, and I think everyone has to be very realistic,that theres a high chance it might not be "all-that", and the jobs may not be there

We thought, if we couldent get work, we would just go to another state,,,,,,,,,,until we looked at the cost of doing that,,OMG

Everywhere is so far apart, it costs a whole load of money,far more than you think, and if you are running out of money, or havent got a lot to start with, its not an option for many

Unfortunately they chose the Gold Coast though! Not the best place for jobs

The worst place to go without employment. Bit silly really

Archived