HELP!! Dilemma: Wait for a job offer or make the move to Oz without one?

Aussie Hopeful

Its not just the Gold Coast,,,everywhere is pretty tough

I wouldent risk coming to Aus without a job, or accomodation now

Plenty who do and it works for them, but plenty who end up in a mess as well

Given that a lot of employers will not employ someone who is not in the country and it's almost impossible to secure long term rental accomodation without applying in person then an awful lot of people would never move to Aus if they waited until getting a job and accomodation sorted first. The only people that would come would be those who were employer sponsered who's employers were providing accomodation.

Anyone moving to Australia needs to be realistic about their prospects and be prepared to be flexible. But if you wait until you get offered a job before you move you might never move and then you would have gone through the expense of getting a visa for nothing.

Given that a lot of employers will not employ someone who is not in the country and it's almost impossible to secure long term rental accomodation without applying in person then an awful lot of people would never move to Aus if they waited until getting a job and accomodation sorted first. The only people that would come would be those who were employer sponsered who's employers were providing accomodation.

Anyone moving to Australia needs to be realistic about their prospects and be prepared to be flexible. But if you wait until you get offered a job before you move you might never move and then you would have gone through the expense of getting a visa for nothing.

Completely understand what you are saying, but its a huge risk to come all this way, and not be able to get work, and then have to turn around and head back to the UK, especially when you have paid for shipping/flights/pets ,and air fares to get here, then you have to pay for it all back to the UK again.I think the visa fees for anyone in this situation, are the very least of their worries

Accomodation can be booked from the UK, most people go into short term rented apartments/holiday lets when they get here anyway, and this can be booked from the UK easily.Thats usually as simple as booking a holiday

Most people find it takes a while to get secure long term rental accomodation,once they arrive, so I doubt many would be trying to book that before they arrive

Alot of employers will offer Skype and telephone interviews now.

If you are in a sought after occupation, employers will go out of their way,especially if they have a shortage of your particular skill here.

But for many ,,,,skills that were once in demand , are no longer ,due to the amount of Aussies that are unemployed ,especially in construction

I would rather be in the UK applying for jobs here, than having had all the costs involved to get here, and then taking the risk that I wont get employment

Its a huge gamble

Archived