London 2012: Olympics

StevieF8

It would have been just as good or even better outside of London , the world would still have turned up and the ages wud ave lost nothing.

No one would be interested if they held the games in Birmingham, they may as well hold them on the Isle of Man :nah:

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one would be interested if they held the games in Birmingham, they may as well hold them on the Isle of Man :nah:

Jesus you talk **** sometimes....no one cares what city it is held in, did you care what city it was held in in oz or the USA in the past

Jesus you talk **** sometimes....no one cares what city it is held in, did you care what city it was held in in oz or the USA in the past

:biglaugh:, i have a biggun on the hook everybody :biglaugh:

Sat 2ft in front of the TV the entire hour.... amazing. I'm not sure how many of the 1bn(?) people watching will be able to relate to everything there, but as a 30-something Brit I'll happily selfishly indulge in the entire experience.

It makes me proud to be British, proud to be a Londoner, and, with the possible exception of one big party our old circle of friends had a few months back, the most I've missed home since I moved to Oz.

It would have been just as good or even better outside of London , the world would still have turned up and the games wud ave lost nothing once unde way, don't agree with you on that one.

Its not me,its the olympic bods that said it had to be a capital

Well done andy...your first tiddler....wait till you start catching the big uns like I do :wink:

Self delusion pal. You may hook some but I've yet to see you play one properly and bring 'em to the boat. As soon as you experience the fight, you have nothing left to give and you cut the line and let 'em loose. Keep thinking you're good at it..............it's probably all you've got

No they don't.....the next Olympics (2016) is in Rio de Janeiro

Talking in the NOW or 2005,im well aware the games DONT have to be held in capital cities(Atlanta?)

What i said was as far as ive heard on 5Live and Talksport the stipulation was the games went to a capital city for THESE games,if the info i heard was wrong then i sincerely soz about it(i'l let you google...)

Btw Rio and Brazilia populations?! bit different than London compared to.......

Talking in the NOW or 2005,im well aware the games DONT have to be held in capital cities(Atlanta?)

What i said was as far as ive heard on 5Live and Talksport the stipulation was the games went to a capital city for THESE games,if the info i heard was wrong then i sincerely soz about it(i'l let you google...)

Btw Rio and Brazilia populations?! bit different than London compared to.......

Not sure, but I know the New York was in the running for them....

What about Rio & Brasilia -you're asking what the populations are compared to London?

London: 8m

Rio:6.5m

Brasilia: 2.5m

Not sure, but I know the New York was in the running for them....

What about Rio & Brasilia -you're asking what the populations are compared to London?

London: 8m

Rio:6.5m

Brasilia: 2.5m

London 8 mill?i'd check that out tbh

Yeah Rio 6.5, brazilia 2.5,IE....they gave it to the city with the biggest population,in the UK thats London

London 8 mill?i'd check that out tbh

Yeah Rio 6.5, brazilia 2.5,IE....they gave it to the city with the biggest population,in the UK thats London

The population of London on census day (27 March 2011) was 8.2 million, an increase of 12 per cent from 2001 when it was 7.3 million. The Office for National Statistics (ONS) published the first results from the 2011 Census today.

The population of London on census day (27 March 2011) was 8.2 million, an increase of 12 per cent from 2001 when it was 7.3 million. The Office for National Statistics (ONS) published the first results from the 2011 Census today.

Fair do's,thought it was more than 8 mill tho tbh,either way,still the biggest population tho,im off..............

Well theyre here now mate,best to make the most of them eh

Tbh Andy i did a little straw poll in work today,working on an old warehouse in the city centre,was on the scaff pointing a vestibule outside a big room the lads have made a canteen,so i had the steel doors open so i could point.

There was about 15 to 20 in there of various ages,i said "so are yez gonna be watching the ceremony?are yer arsed about the olympics?"

A few replied in different ways but it was more or less the same meaning as one said,IE "nah,its not for us is it"

I said "what d'yer mean,because its London?" he said "yeah its always ...ing London innit,new wembley could have been in the centre of the country ,in staffs maybe,but nah its gotta be ...ing London hasnt it"

I said "maybe on the national stadium one yeah,BUT theres plenty of merseyside athletes competing in the games,wont yer watch them?"

Answer off most of them was "yeah,we'l watch the boxers from liverpool,but the games are all for London,no one else"

I said "well nowhere else is realy big enuf,plus i think the olympic commitee decreed it had to be a capital city that won it"no answer!

Anyway,it showed me theres a fair bit of apathy amongst some,me?like i say theres some issues i might bring up after the games,but like i say,it would be churlish not to try and enjoy them

It's London-centric definitely...Atlanta 96 spread the events over an 80 mile diameter, there's no reason why they could have held some events in Birmingham or Manchester with our transport network, they need the investment and tourism money desperately, instead of a few photo opportunities and training bases. Still...I'll enjoy it all the same.