Is it really a better life living in Oz than the UK????

vikkeytymo

I am really very sorry but if your combined income is $70k you will find it almost impossible to live, save and go on holiday. The only thing I can say is that wages are a lot higher here so you may have a higher combined income than you think. This is a very expensive country. Also it is possible that you will have to work so long and hard that you will end up not really having friends and you will feel lonely. In terms of the kids, Australia is a very dangerous place to bring kids up they have three major outcomes over here (a) Bogan (sort of chav but much worse); (b) consumerist / narcissist with a massive sense of entitlement or; © right wing Christian. Clearly there are loads of lovely people too but the society is very different, do not underestimate this. $170k will allow you to have a reasonable break even lifestyle near any major city. Do more research and make a proper budget. There will be loads of things you don't expect to pay for that you will have to pay a lot for (for instance depending on your visa you may have to pay for state education); every trip to the GP is $80 ($35 refund from Medicare) and things you expect to pay for that you will not need to for instance if you are renting you don't pay rates. I would guess that in WA for a house (4 kids) with pool near work would set you back $700-$800 per week; travel will be expensive everything is a long way away and your weekly food bill will amount to $400(ish), in WA you will be paying about $200-$300 per month electricity and you will have to maintain the house (every three to six months sprayed for insects and spiders) and every six months have your pool serviced. Public transport is expensive as are school fees, clothes, ice cream, beer, and anything that involves labour. Minimum wage is $21/hr and on public holidays restaurants charge two or three times as much because of labour rates. Ex pats will be your best bet for mates. People are not straight with you nothing anyone says turns out be true over here, I'm not saying they lie I'm saying that they are almost always wrong and if you hear 'no worries' you better start worrying because the tradie, rental agent, visa agent, employer, telephone sales man, etc will not be worrying. Finally most Australians are superficial and will judge you by your job, how many houses you own, what you look like physically and your car and boat. Australia is nothing like we thought it would be. If you come do not burn your bridges back in England!

This is such a load of garbage the only conclusion I can come to is that you are just trying to turn people off coming to Australia because you don't want to share it with anymore POM's.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to say Blackpool was top of the list as a must do day out in the months leading up to our departure....I was sorely disappointed, Blackpool is no longer the family fun destination of my youth its just a place for peed up hens and stags to run riot, nothing wrong with that but took the shine off my memories. I used to love the horses up and down the main street and we used to go to Pontins every year, lol. The pleasure beach was still good though...beats adventureworld in Perth!

That could be an age thing.

I jumped from being that kid in Blackpool to then being on those stag doos to then jumping back when we had our own kids and experiencing Blackpool through them again and again. The Grand National felt the same at each stage to me. Rickety old thing. My nan still goes every year to see the lights and tries to get us to go with her. She think shes still 20.

Guest Burchos
Wasnt going to!!! The post pushed my buttons. Posts like that, which generalise and are not the whole truth shall we say........could put someone off of coming here and gaining a while new experience and life for theirselves.

Everyone deserves a chance of a new life here and that post could be the one thing that wrecks someones dream.

Thank you for that, as I am having a low day today about the move and it certainly made me think, especially as we are moving to Gold Coast.

This is such a load of garbage the only conclusion I can come to is that you are just trying to turn people off coming to Australia because you don't want to share it with anymore POM's.

So I have not found the people related comments in *that* post to be consistent with my experience and one or two of the estimates seem to be at the high end. But you know there are many people that have a lifestyle that needs a higher income to maintain and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I also would not have moved from UK for $170k and most definitely not for $60k which I believe is what the OP was looking at. I think there is no harm in balancing the comments from those who think this is a good income to those that think it is not.

Perhaps better still though, OP should compare to current lifestyle and income to be the best judge of what is right for her. Most of all I can't believe that 14 pages on, this new memer of PIO is still being picked on!

I also would not have moved from UK for $170k and most definitely not for $60k which I believe is what the OP was looking at. I think there is no harm in balancing the comments from those who think this is a good income to those that think it is not.

About 2 years ago an income of $150, 000 was earned by only 3% of Australians. It may now be 5%.

$170,000 is probably now the figure for the top 3%.

So it is necessary to make clear to the OP that 97% of the population lives on less, in fact 50% of households live on less than $70,000.

And it's not a matter of "picking on" a person but targeting ludicrous statements. Not everyone sees every post immediately...it may be several days later ...and if their reaction is "What the.....???" they still have a right to voice it, even if they are not the first.

The only thing I will say is that although you don't "need" a $170k. It is surprising how little a high wage gets you. I am in what is now a top 5% and with just me and the wife we are not vastly well off because she doesn't earn anything so it is actually like two people earning $75k. But actually a bit worse as the tax system penalizes me more heavily for earning what I do

About 2 years ago an income of $150, 000 was earned by only 3% of Australians. It may now be 5%.

$170,000 is probably now the figure for the top 3%.

So it is necessary to make clear to the OP that 97% of the population lives on less, in fact 50% of households live on less than $70,000.

And it's not a matter of "picking on" a person but targeting ludicrous statements. Not everyone sees every post immediately...it may be several days later ...and if their reaction is "What the.....???" they still have a right to voice it, even if they are not the first.

Why is there such animosity towards those who aren't happy in Oz?

I think you are twisting the facts harpo, If whoever made the comment said $170000 it's not enough to support me and my family because we pay private school fees, live in a mansion and drive Ferrari and its too hot/ cold for us and we don't like the sausages and bacon here so based on this we are returning to the UK I think nobody would have a problem with that .. It's the fact that person says don't bother to come if you don't earn at least 170k that get people going because it's bullsh*t!! Most people live on less and are very happy here and the POI who started this thread can do without lies like that!!

Guest haunted1234

we have a combined salary of 90k and are saving 2k a month... we have a 4 bed and a pool......once the LAFHA goes...probable, we will still be saving 1k a month, i'd live like a king on 170k!

we have a combined salary of 90k and are saving 2k a month... we have a 4 bed and a pool......once the LAFHA goes...probable, we will still be saving 1k a month, i'd live like a king on 170k!

Jeez haunted, do you think you could manage my money too?!

I am heading out there I hope in July, and I guess Aus is what you make of it?

I know I am repeating what others have said, but yes do the research on best and worst case scenarios, look at the finances (budget for everything!) and then decide whether its a go or no?

Then if you make it out, the rest is up to you guys, no one is going to give you the life you want, you have to go out and get it. I am expecting tough times ahead for us for our move, but we really want to change our life. New friends, new adventures, work hard and play hard..

Good luck in whatever you decide. :biggrin:

Guest Helchops
The only thing I will say is that although you don't "need" a $170k. It is surprising how little a high wage gets you. I am in what is now a top 5% and with just me and the wife we are not vastly well off because she doesn't earn anything so it is actually like two people earning $75k. But actually a bit worse as the tax system penalizes me more heavily for earning what I do

Aww...

To quote Chandler...'My wallet's too small for my fifties, and my diamond shoes are too tight.'

Plenty of people on $75,000 combined. I think you're ok!

(This post is lighthearted by the way...I wish you could show cheeky sarcasm online!)

I like the Friends reference... oh no two women love me!! :)

Aww...

To quote...'My wallet's too small for my fifties, and my diamond shoes are too tight.'

Plenty of people on $75,000 combined. I think you're ok!

(This post is lighthearted by the way...I wish you could show cheeky sarcasm online!)

I always said I would never emigrate, but it's always been OH dream to move to Oz. He was headhunted last August so I decided to give him the chance on the understanding we would rent out our home back in the UK. We have 2 children aged 10 and 8.

We had to be in Oz (Sydney) within 8 weeks of accepting the job so a lot got done in a very short time. Just before we were due to leave we were told because of the UK economy we were not allowed to rent out our property - you need to change your mortgage to a buy to let type. So we had to sell.

I am extremely close to my family and had a fantastic group of friends. Our kids had a good social life too. We've been here 6 months, it's really difficult for me to find work. Kids don't seem to play out over here so unless I invite the kids friends over my 2 are bored stiff after school. I look forward to weekends so we can get out and about and do things together as a family. What I'm trying to say is, be absolutely certain you can cope with leaving your family and friends and if possible rent out your home rather than sell. I would love to go back home but we don't have one to go back to!

Everyone says it takes 2 years to settle but 2 years is a long time when you're as unhappy as I am. As other people have said on this thread, it's either for you or it isn't. Think I'm too close to my family to settle but you never know.

Good luck with whatever you decide! x

:biglaugh: quite the inspector clueso there freckle, wonder what bought you to that conclusion, lol, they will have to get you on the Robina shooting case, maybe you would catch the culprit ...... I'll give you some help there ....... he is an islander, muscular, with a neck tattoo ...... not many of those around hey ! :biglaugh: what do I have to do to get platinum status, I should be promoted, after all, we earn mega bucks :tongue:

Its got a lot to do with how you feel mentally, thats the main thing, I always say treat it like a long holiday and try and be as flexible as possible and never compare what your so used to with what you receive then you wont be dissapointed.

The biggest thing I think is finding the right job and getting the place you stay in right, missing friends and family is the thing, a lot of people cant cope with it which is understandable. I dont buy into the feeling of getting too hyped up about the move as it leaves you flat when you arrive like being a film lover and then going to hollywood and seeing how run down it is.

Blimey, I was struggling on my own on 70k what rent you saying a month and do you grow your own?

What does LAFHA stand for? Im a newbie so not grasped all the abbreviations yet :confused: Thanks for your post, all this info is really helpful x

LAFHA stands for Living Away From Home Allowance, it's a sort of tax relief. We knew all about it before moving out here so were relying on it, but because of the way OH's employers sorted our visas out we can't get it. :-(

Guest The Ropey HOFF
LAFHA stands for Living Away From Home Allowance, it's a sort of tax relief. We knew all about it before moving out here so were relying on it, but because of the way OH's employers sorted our visas out we can't get it. :-(

Who is eligible for it mate, can you explain a bit more and how you apply for it, cheers.

It's a different life and the differences are not always what you expect. The weather, food, housing is stuff you get used to very quickly. IMO it's the difference in social attitudes that takes much more getting used to. As for whether it is a better life, it is a matter of preference. Some people are convinced it is; others can't wait to leave.

hey thereProud pom..

what do you mean by social attitudes? Is there a big difference?

quite the inspector clueso there freckle, wonder what bought you to that conclusion, lol, they will have to get you on the Robina shooting case

No they won't - he was caught on Monday night, in Victoria.

what do I have to do to get platinum status, I should be promoted, after all, we earn mega bucks

You just have to persevere on here making several hundred posts.

Archived