Miserable Melbourne Summer

Lambethlad

Don't come to Melbourne to escape the British weather. Call this summer? It's freezing, I've got the wood fire going and it's been raining nonstop. I have seen signs that it's going to be a mild summer. Our apple tree which usually has about 30 apples has hundreds this year. Also I have seen a few snakes around when I haven't seen any for many years - which may mean it's going to be a mild breeding season with plenty of food around for them.

14c does seem unusually cold, even for Melbourne. That must be fairly below average surely ? Only day 7 of summer so who knows really.

Here's BOM's take on the summer outlook.

Temperature:

"A warmer summer likely for large parts of Australia

• Warmer than normal summer days are more likely for most of Australia, except for western WA, western Victoria, and Tasmania.
  • Likewise, warmer than normal summer nights are more likely for most of the continent, except for western WA, most of the Queensland coastline, and large parts of southeast Australia.
  • Climate influences include El Niño-like conditions in the tropical Pacific Ocean, and average to cooler than average waters surrounding northern Australia.
  • Maximum temperature accuracy is generally moderate over western and eastern parts of mainland Australia, including the northern NT, while accuracy is low over central parts, SA and Tasmania. Minimum temperature accuracy is generally moderate over Australia, except for the central NT and northwest Queensland, where accuracy is low."

Rainfall:

"A drier summer ahead for north, east, and central Australia

• A drier than normal summer is more likely over the Kimberley region of WA, the NT, Queensland, northern and eastern SA, NSW, and eastern Victoria.
  • Over southern Tasmania, a wetter than usual summer is slightly more likely. Elsewhere, the chances of a wetter or drier summer are roughly equal.
  • The December monthly outlook shows a drier than normal month is more likely over the northern half of Australia.
  • Climate influences include El Niño-like conditions in the tropical Pacific Ocean, and average to cooler than average waters surrounding northern Australia.
  • Outlook accuracy for summer rainfall is moderate to high over most of WA, northern and eastern Queensland, and eastern NSW; low over southeast WA, the Top End of the NT, western SA, and western NSW; and very low elsewhere. Caution should be exercised in these areas of low skill."

Source: http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/outlooks/#/rainfall/summary

Edited by fish.01

I actually love that about Melbourne in summer.

I haven't got air con, and I love it that you do tend to get a cool change even in the middle of summer.

After a week of very hot weather, to get that cool change for a few days with temperatures back down in the low 20s is so refreshing.

Open up the windows and cools the house down. Its great.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't come to Melbourne to escape the British weather. Call this summer? It's freezing, I've got the wood fire going and it's been raining nonstop. I have seen signs that it's going to be a mild summer. Our apple tree which usually has about 30 apples has hundreds this year. Also I have seen a few snakes around when I haven't seen any for many years - which may mean it's going to be a mild breeding season with plenty of food around for them.

Your 'three-word' title has one word too many! Drop the last word! (and move to Sydney!)

To be fair, I think it rains more in Sydney, as it did the other week, with thunderstorms almost every arvo. It's nice this week and I shall go for my swim soon, back in the harbour beaches now that the rain has stopped. (The storm drains fill up and drain into the harbour. Talking of pollution, I saw a sign at Neilsen Park last night, warning anglers not to eat any fish caught west of the Harbour Bridge, an no more than 150 gms of fish a week caught to the east.

Your 'three-word' title has one word too many! Drop the last word! (and move to Sydney!)

To be fair, I think it rains more in Sydney, as it did the other week, with thunderstorms almost every arvo. It's nice this week and I shall go for my swim soon, back in the harbour beaches now that the rain has stopped. (The storm drains fill up and drain into the harbour. Talking of pollution, I saw a sign at Neilsen Park last night, warning anglers not to eat any fish caught west of the Harbour Bridge, an no more than 150 gms of fish a week caught to the east.

I couldn't afford to live in Sydney. Anyway Melbourne's a really nice place to live (despite the weather).

I actually really like Melbourne's weather, primarily because it is not at all humid, so even when it is really hot, you don't feel sweaty and drained.

And recently the weekdays have been average and the weekends great - that works for me!

This was taken on our boat a few weeks ago - as you say "Miserable" :laugh:

Rosebud_zps0fdc60bb.jpg

BB

Hot today but cold tomorrow-I like that, you never get bored. The weather is nothing like the UK by the way. For a start when it does rain it dries up really quickly, you don't get the horrible soggy mud and dampness you get over there.

Same here in Adelaide - wonderful. For the first time in six years Christmas week hasn't been about sweat and sunburn. We're actually getting in the mood - 24 forecast for Christmas Day and apparently rain as well so double celebration as it hasn't rained here since about April 15th.

20 days into summer and still cold in Melbourne. It was 10 degrees when I got up this morning - I had to put the heater on.

Clearly you're not living in the same Melbourne I do. Perhaps you live in that little village in Derbyshire called Melbourne.

23 and sun today, next 3 days - 30, 28 and 29.

BB

I love Melbourne weather. Lots of variety!! Currently 23c and sitting in the garden under a parasol. I consider this a cool summer day; if it was 23c back home in Kilmarnock I'd be packing the car and heading to the beach because that is considered a heat-wave!

We would be sitting on Ayr or Troon beach lol everybody would be packed in like sardines :laugh:

Summer here in Adelaide has been fantastic this year - easily the best year since 2009. Lots of sunny days but temps between 18 - 28 here in the hills and we've even had some rain as well. Really lucky. The last few years at Christmas time have just been endurance tests of 40+ with all the curtains drawn tight, ceiling fans whirring and aircon vents blasting, so no Christmas atmosphere at all. But this year it actually felt like Christmas and it's been cool enough to walk outside as well so actually surprising and really great!