Tips for Mozzies, Flies, Bugs and Roaches

Captain Roberto

Hi All,

We've been here for 3 months, and up until bugs and mozzies etc haven't been an issue, as it was cooler. Now it's warmed up a bit we've all been getting mozzie bits big time, and we have seen a couple of roaches over the last couple of days. We have fly screens, but the kids tend to leave doors open all the time anyway.

Does anyone have any simple and effective tips for reducing these problems?

It doesn't mater if they seem totally obvious to you guys, as we are relatively new around here and it probably will be helpful to us!

Thanks in advance

Matt and the Roberts's tribe.

Edited by Captain Roberto

Get your kids to become more aware. It might take a while but it needs to happen. My son closes every screen door behind him now and knows not to leave it open for too long around dusk. Just in or out and close it quick. He also knows what a mozzie looks like and if he spots one, he tells us and we try to splat it.

Also if you have water near the house, in a bird bath, pond or some such, guess what is breeding in there? We dispensed with the barrel pond in our backyard. We had fish to eat the things but it was still bad. So emptied it and planted flowers.

I also use some of the repellants but tbh don't find them really effective. We come indoors around dusk to avoid being bitten. Go back out a bit later, usually more covered up and potions applied on the bits sticking out.

there really is no way to get around the buggers, mozzies and biting insects you can spray yourself all the time and cover up once the sun goes down, flies... theres no way of deterring the buggers, just try to ignore them, I only freak at them now when they go up my nose or on my eyes. cockroaches I've never really had a problem with but I hear you can get these bomb things that kill them.

There is only one scientifically proven mozzie repellent and that is DEET. There are a number of brands that hhave it, the most common is Bushmans. However, I do not recommend it for long term use.

Mozzies are mainly active at dawn and dusk, so try to avoid them times. Avoid dark colours as that attracts them. Wear long sleeves / trousers.

For flies, the fly catchers you can buy at Bunnings are effective. I work in a bush town where flies are incredible, and we find them pretty good.

being new to Australia, I'm learning all this stuff too! Definitely "train" your children to shut the screen doors behind them. My partners' sister's two children (4 & 6 I think) know they should do it - sometimes they close the screen doors and other times they get a "please close the door James/Katie" and that works fine. They need to learn this stuff anyway and at least keeping the bugs out, is a good reason!

Re the cochroaches, I've only seen one in our current house and that coincided with a plate with crumbs and drinks being left on the floor in one of the bedrooms. Coincidence perhaps but we haven't seen one since. Make sure all crumbs / dropped items are picked up (particularly in the kitchen), don't leave uncovered containers or food in the kitchen, rinse any sticky glasses / containers if they're not being washed immediately - all the common sense stuff really. But from what I understand, it's inevitable as it gets warmer / more humid, particularly in damp or dark areas of the house / garden / garage.

Edited by vickyplum

Yeah, we have the odd roach but not over run or anything. Its no worse than the odd house spider you may find. I don't like roaches and do deal with them if I find one but its not like its making my life miserable. I'm more annoyed by the birds running over the small tin roof on our bedroom window at 5am in the morning.

Honestly, there is going to be worse to come most likely. If the ants decide to show up and party in your kitchen, that'll be fun. More so if they are ones that nip. Again, not harmful but you do feel them have a nibble. Ooo and portugese millipedes, grrr as they go crunch under my barefeet on occasion.

I'd start educating the kids on the types of ants and bitey bugs/insects too OP. Ours now knows the different ant type and knows when to leave well alone and when he has a little more leeway. Same with spiders and crawlies. We had a lot of fun nature lessons our first 6 months finding out what we were seeing out and about, taking pics and then looking them up when we got home.

It's just a part of life here and more problematic in the warmer months. We use the indoor automatic mortein spray for flies which is very effective. Barrier spray outside to deter spiders and roaches but they still get in from time to time. I'd say the worst thing for me is the mutant roaches, the buggers run far too fast and take an eternity to die...'shudder'

I'd recommend mortein bombs as the way to go. There's an array of bug attack products in the supermarkets. We get by with an instant kill spray, the auto indoor spray, and outdoor fogger and coils/candles and sometimes use ant baits too. Mortein bombs after it's got out of hand which is wrong approach but hey ho

We have a roach catcher - it is called a cat!

It also means that we cannot use any baits or poisons around the house, as our cat particularly enjoys little scooby snacks like this throughout the day.

I would urge you away from poisons. That is because roaches and such like also live outside the house and are eaten by native birds. Wildlife carers like WIRES often have to care for native animals and birds that have been poisoned by rodent or cockroach bait used in and around the home.

Insects are part and parcel of Australian life especially in summer. Best to just get into good practices: fit fly wire on doors and windows, seal up any cracks, keep doors and windows shut unless they have screens on them and keep crumbs minimal. If you cannot be bothered to do a full wash and dry of dishes before bed, then at least give everything a rinse. Keep food securely in sealed jars in cupboard etc...

Alternatives to pesticides

It is important to consider alternative control methods to pesticide use. The key is to make your house and garden unattractive to pests. Some suggestions include:

Rodents – don’t put food scraps in the garden for birds or possums. Throw out food left in dog or cat bowls. If you have an aviary, keep birdseed in rodent-proof dispensers. Pick up and dispose of fallen fruit from any fruit trees. Regularly trim plants such as creepers. Keep potential nesting places, such as wood and rubbish piles, off the ground. Consider using traps, but do not lay traps in areas where children, pets or native animals could be harmed.

Flies – keep a tight lid on outdoor rubbish bins. Put garden compost in a well-sealed container. Flies don’t like pyrethrum, which is a common ingredient in fly spray. You might plant pyrethrum daisies near your front and back doors to repel flies and other insects. Hang flytraps or fly paper outside in areas where flies tend to gather.

Fleas – wash pets, their blankets and other bedding regularly. See your veterinarian for treatment options for your pet.

Cockroaches – remove any sources of water such as in the base of the shower, in sinks or in dishes left in the kitchen. Cockroaches need a daily source of water to survive. Don’t leave food scraps on benches or in pet bowls. Keep rubbish in a bin with the lid on tightly. Don’t keep piles of wood chips or mulch near the house. Seal cracks and crevices where cockroaches may get into your home.

Mosquitoes – drain any collected puddles of water, as this is where mosquitoes breed. Change the water in birdbaths at least once a week. Run your swimming pool filter for a few hours each day. Regularly clear your gutters of leaves and other debris that may collect water. Keep larvae-eating fish in ornamental ponds – see an aquarium dealer for suggestions on appropriate fish.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Pest_control_in_the_home

Hi All,

We've been here for 3 months, and up until bugs and mozzies etc haven't been an issue, as it was cooler. Now it's warmed up a bit we've all been getting mozzie bits big time, and we have seen a couple of roaches over the last couple of days. We have fly screens, but the kids tend to leave doors open all the time anyway.

Does anyone have any simple and effective tips for reducing these problems?

It doesn't mater if they seem totally obvious to you guys, as we are relatively new around here and it probably will be helpful to us!

Thanks in advance

Matt and the Roberts's tribe.

If you have sliding doors, get an automatic return fitted, they can be done really cheap and its a god send where kids are concerned. Saves yelling 'shut the door' 20 times a day,lol.

We found an automatic bug spray worked well in the house, but tbh we have never had much inside anyway. In the peak of summer or after a storm we always give the rooms a spray before we get in bed. We also enclosed our patio with fly screen so that makes a hell of

a difference to outdoor eating and flies getting in the house etc

Cal x

Check the fly screens for holes, and train the kids to close the screen doors!

Scrutinise the garden and neighbouring areas for stagnant pools of water and get rid of them (sometimes it's something small like an empty flower pot down the back of the shed).

Buy those plug-in insect killers - I don't like the aerosol ones, I used the ones that you inserted a mat in. This one seems to be the latest version of that:

http://shop.coles.com.au/online/national/mortein-peaceful-nights-odourless-mozzie-zapper

I lived in a house with no fly screens for a while, and with one of those in the bedroom, I didn't get bitten once.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2012/02/08/3425834.htm

The big cockroaches are a fact of life in Sydney. They don't live in the house, they come in looking for moisture and warmth, so you'll never get rid of them completely. Best you can do is put down cockroach baits (always put them right up next to a wall) and replace them regularly- and use a long-lasting barrier spray around cracks in windows and doors where they may crawl in.

The small cockroaches do live in the house - if you see even one or two of those, you've got a problem and need to act fast or you'll have an infestation in no time. If they set up home in your washing machine, dishwasher or cooker you'll never get rid of them! An insect bomb is the best option, but the whole family and all pets need to be out of the house for several hours. If that doesn't work call out the professionals!

I'm going to try the vitamin B1 this year. We burn the anti-mosquito candles from Bunnings in the garden, not too bad and not too toxic, either. Aeroguard doesn't seem to work as well as it used to. Bushman's does but it is so toxic, its a worry-probably killing us as well as the mossies.

Alternative methods just don't seem to work same as spiders, chemical are the way only solution

Don't agree.

Apart from plug-in mortein mozzie zapper we don't use chemicals in the house at all - including cleaning.

We leave spiders like huntsman alone and only put nasty looking ones outside. If we follow the rules I posted previously we seriously minimize or sometimes completely eradicate insects in the house.

The worst thing I ever had inside was a leech and still don't understand how that got in (on the cat I think)

• 1 month later...

http://www.homelife.com.au/gardening/features/9+ways+to+keep+mosquitoes+at+bay,39795#itm=newscomau|home|nca-homepage-group-nlm|1|buzz-off|homepage|homepage&itmt=1447443282317

Words Charlotte Thomson:

Citronella torches, strategic shrubs and more. Here are some of the best natural methods of preventing mosquitos.

Ah, mozzies. Scourge of the (otherwise magnificent) Australian summer. Read on for nine environmentally friendly solutions to make the little buzzers get lost. Use several methods at once for multiple lines of defence.

Step-by-step

1. Citronella oil

Having a supply of citronella on hand is a must for summer. Mosquitos are attracted to carbon dioxide (which everyone breathes out) and citronella acts as a mask, covering up scents which attract mosquitos. The oil comes in candles and can be poured into Survivor-esque torches. You can also get wearable bands and bracelets for those most susceptable to bites. Most importantly it is a safe and non-toxic method of repelling mosquitos.

2. Beer attraction

Much like Aussie blokes, mosquitoes are attracted to beer. Create mozzie traps by placing small glasses of el-cheapo lager around your outdoor area. The yeast in the beer attracts mosquitos to the beverage. Unfortunately, drinking beer won't prevent you from getting bitten.

3. Puddle-free zone

Mosquitoes breed in stagnant (still) water. Empty and clear out all pools and puddles that could house mosquito lavae. To kill lavae, place used coffee grounds around areas in your backyard which could house lavae. The coffee grounds deprive larvae of oxygen and kill them.

4. Homemade mosquito trap

Cut a plastic bottle in half. In the bottom half add 1 tblspn of brown sugar and 1 cup of hot water, mix until dissolved. When it's cool, empty the mixture into the bottom half of the bottle and add a tspn of yeast. Place the other half of the bottle upside down in the bottom half and connect with black tape. Be careful to leave the top unobstructed. Place the trap in a mosquito prone area and change the solution every two weeks.

5. Mosquito coils

A mozzie repelling classic - the smell of them will transport you back to the family holidays of your childhood - and they're still a good option today. Mosquito coils, when lit, provide a bite-free zone when dining outdoors. The lit coils provide a citronella and/or sandlewood aroma which helps to keep mozzies away. Look for coils that are environmentally friendly.

6. Eucalyptus and lemon oils

Spray a mixture of eucalyptus and lemon oils around your outdoor area. This will repel mosquitos the same way as citronella. You can also rub the oil onto exposed skin. The best things about these oils are that they are all natural.

7. Plant mosquito repelling shrubs

Some shrubs are effective in preventing the breeding of mosquitos nearby, as they give off natural odours that keep mosquitoes away. These plants include tulsi, mint, marigold, lemon trees, neem trees and citronella grass.

8. Garlic and the vampire myth

So there is SOME truth to the myth. Mosquitoes are the bug version of vampires (they want to suck your blood). Eating garlic-loaded meals and keeping cloves of garlic around your outdoor area helps to keep the mosquitos at bay. Not so nice the next morning though.

9. Automatic sprays

Automatic diffuser sprays emit a burst of bug-deterring scent every couple of minutes when they're turned on (turn them off when you're not outside). Just stick one or two onto the walls on your patio or verandah. Enviro-friendly plant-based ones are available - a google search will reveal a whole lot of different brands. Be warned: They do make a short hissing sound when releasing the liquid, which may freak guests out if you're in an area frequented by snakes!

• 2 weeks later...

I live in a unit and had German roaches from the get-go. It was empty for over a week before we moved in and bombed by the landlord twice - the second time was after we complained. So it was empty of furniture, no food or water and they still came back. Over the course of a month after we moved in, I waged war, used Mortein traps and loads of spray both direct and surface, kept the place spotless, removed traces of water, etc. They kept coming back, I had to kill 3-4 every evening.

After reading that these buggers can nest in your electrical appliances and having had a few run out of the dishwasher seals, ended up getting a pest control guy in off my own back and haven't seen any for 2 months now. 200$ well spent!

What's a pantry moth, Diane? Are they those tiny little white things that are a bit like sandflies?

Just moths that gather and breed in the pantry. Nothing like sand flies. Those moth thingies are the only effective way to manage it. I detest the smell given out by them though, usually end up junking them after a few days.

They're sort of small and grey, make a really dusty smear on the wall when you squash one. They like things like rice, pasta, whole grains - quinoa, that sort of thing, but love nuts - walnuts, almonds and almond meal, pine nuts etc. They make little webs and their eggs hatch out into little maggots, that seem to want to be as high up as possible so can sometime be found on ceilings or along the coving. They can get into all sorts of packaging, eat through plastic etc. They are an absolute nightmare. I think often they come in via packets bought from shops. We got some really fine sand stuff that is the only thing that works - it's pretty cruel though - shreds them to pieces when they crawl through it.